[REMOVE ADS]

Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars--1963

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JiH2O8mHk

Hope this works! Dick Clark, Ronettes, Little Eva, Dale & Grace, Dovells, etc. Narrator makes one
    big blooper--a guy talking with Ronnie of the Ronettes outside the bus and later dancing with her
    is definitely NOT one of the Dovells.

Any way, a great treat!

Randy

AMAZING!

Wonderful footage. Anyone identify the non-Dovells and others on the tour? What a great record of a vanished era.

Just looked up the cast list for this tour on Ebay and it was:
    Brian Hyland
    Bobby Vee
    Dale and Grace
    Dick Clark
    Dixie Belles, The
    Donald Jenkins and The Delighters
    Dovells, The
    Essex, The
    Jaynettes, The
    Jimmy Clanton
    Joe Perkins
    Linda Scott
    Little Eva
    Paul and Paula
    Ronettes, The

Can we now work out who the guy was with Ronnie Bennett?

And I wonder who the Jaynetts were on this tour? Must email Louise Murray about this.

I think thats one of the Essex with Ronnie. Little Eva was so cute! Love the hairstyles!Musta been a day/night off.

Occasionally Dick Clark would rent a hall and throw a party for everyone. It would, of course, be a night off, but
    he always rode the bus right along with everyone. Great stuff, though. The classic cars at the gas station/tuck
    stop, etc. What a great piece of history and, yes, I do believe the guy with Ronnie is one of the Essex.
    However, Len Barry of the Dovells is seen playing football and the other guys in the group are shown somewhat,
    just not identified.

motown_david, did you find the dates of the tour? I remember when the Ronettes first appeared on American Bandstand,
    Dick Clark's introduction was that he expected the record to make it to #1 very soon. Then when he spoke with them,
    Estelle said they'd soon be recording a Christmas record and then they were joining Dick Clark on his "wonderful
    tour". I believe it was during this tour that Kennedy was shot; the tour was actually somewhere in Texas.

We THE TYMES were also on the tour when it hit Dallas Texas.
    Gene Pitney and I were on our way down on the elevator to watch the motor cade come in.
    Also, our lead singer [[ George Williams ) took sick that night,
    And we rushed him to the same hospital that they took the president to that day.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Ceasar, you really should write a book about your / the groups experiences in the music biz.
    You've been there so looooooooonnggg and still going stroooooonnggg.

Hello jsmith
    I am thinking very hard about that.
    Ihave had some

What a great and rare memory. Nice picture quality as well. Thank you Randy.

I clicked on it this morning, but am not getting the narration. Did all of you hear Myron Lee speaking???

OK, got the sound fixed! Dee Dee Kenniebrew of the Crystals confirmed the guy with Ronnie of the Ronettes is
    Norman of the Tymes, who as Caesar says, were also on the tour at some point.

uptight Guest
    At first I looked hard to see who was being identified as one of the Dovells with Ronnie. I believed The Dovells were known as a white group. And there were a couple of white guys walking through the two shots of the Ronettes. But who was the black man hamming it up with Ronnie? LOL. Myron Lee identifies the him twice as one of The Dovells. Maybe he was a band member of The Dovells or a temporary singer with them on that tour.

Myron made a big mistake.
    He must not have known who THE TYMES were.
    That was Norman Burnett of THE TYMES,also that was him playiing on the cymbal at the party.
    Also, George Williams [[ lead singer of THE TYMES ) was also shown.
    Along with Donald Banks [[ who recently passed away ) and his cousin,George Hilliard, both members of THE TYMES.
    Me [[ Ceasar ) you saw the top of my head near the end.
    Seeing that bought back a lot of memories, we had a really great time.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

uptight Guest
    Ah, very cool, Ceasar. Thank you for clarifying. We very much appreciate having you on SDF. And those are some awesome films Myron Lee is sharing with the world.

Hey Caesar saw the top of your head. Had a lot of hair then. Now that was a process LOL! Great footage btw.

You can go here, and see more information below the video about the times and the people involved. Notice that Myron Lee had a "Vintage" Fender Bassman Amp. that he used when backing all these stars on the 1963 Caravan of Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdollars View Post
    You can go here, and see more information below the video about the times and the people involved. Notice that Myron Lee had a "Vintage" Fender Bassman Amp. that he used when backing all these stars on the 1963 Caravan of Stars.
    You can see the details about the Famous vintage Fender Bassman Amp here. Myron Lee told me the story behind how he had gotten this amp. The Fender Bassman was discarded by Phil Humphries of the famous Fenderman. The speakers were blown out, as the Fendermen all plugged in to the same amp at once. What a great history! It was recently on display with the Sourh Dakota Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, which Myron was inducted into, of course, as he is from SD. You can see all the Myron Lee videos with Dick Clark, Bobby Vee, Buddy Knox, Conway Twitty and others.
    Last edited by Lowdollars; 03-24-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
    Myron made a big mistake.
    He must not have known who THE TYMES were.
    That was Norman Burnett of THE TYMES,also that was him playiing on the cymbal at the party.
    Also, George Williams [[ lead singer of THE TYMES ) was also shown.
    Along with Donald Banks [[ who recently passed away ) and his cousin,George Hilliard, both members of THE TYMES.
    Me [[ Ceasar ) you saw the top of my head near the end.
    Seeing that bought back a lot of memories, we had a really great time.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes
    I talked with Myron Lee about this. This was nearly 50 years ago, but he now remembers after you helped him out. These videos were taken from one of Myron's personal DVD's that his son made for him a short time ago. It was not know that they would eventually release them for the public to see. We are all glad they did, as the footage has just been great for all of us that were involved with that era. On one of the videos, you see Conway Twitty before he went "Country". Myron met him at a motel on the west side of Sioux Falls, South Dakota on the way to the Black Hills of South Dakota to play a dance. Conway Twitty's daughter, Joni saw the clip of here dad. Myron made a comment about someone climing into Conway's station wagon. Joni said in an E-mail that was here climbing in to the back seat of the station wagon. She said she was thrilled and very thankful to see anything about her father. This had never been seen by anyone until Myron published these videos on the web. You can see Conway, his family and some band members if you go a little way into this video clip.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    motown_david, did you find the dates of the tour? I remember when the Ronettes first appeared on American Bandstand,
    Dick Clark's introduction was that he expected the record to make it to #1 very soon. Then when he spoke with them,
    Estelle said they'd soon be recording a Christmas record and then they were joining Dick Clark on his "wonderful
    tour". I believe it was during this tour that Kennedy was shot; the tour was actually somewhere in Texas.
    This video starts in 1963 showing footage of live on the road with Dick Clark’s Caravan of Stars. See footage never seen by the public before of Ronnie Spector, Bobby Vee, Dale & Grace, The Dovells, Little Eva, The Essex, Len Berry, Jimmie Clanton, Brian Hyland, Linda Scott, Dick Clark & The Ronettes. The band toured as the “cover band” for Dick Clarks Caravan of Stars. Myron was in Dallas watching the parade when President Kennedy was shot. He was close enough to hear the gunshots and see the chaos that occurred after the assassination.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
    Myron made a big mistake. He must not have known who THE TYMES were. That was Norman Burnett of THE TYMES,also that was him playiing on the cymbal at the party. Also, George Williams [[ lead singer of THE TYMES ) was also shown. Along with Donald Banks [[ who recently passed away ) and his cousin,George Hilliard, both members of THE TYMES. Me [[ Ceasar ) you saw the top of my head near the end. Seeing that bought back a lot of memories, we had a really great time. Ceasar The Original Tymes
    Ceaser,
    Here are some videos of "The Tymes" to help straighten us all out. Here is some more 60's Music with other people with the 63 Caravan of Stars Tour.
    Last edited by Lowdollars; 03-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.

I'm enjoying reading all the comments and its great to see that people are enjoying the movies. I did the narriation one time thru without notes--just from memory.I don't know how I forgot The Tymes because I still remember how when traveling those long miles in the bus all hours of the night they would often sing and it was wonderful to hear. I still have the original letters with the tour dates and times sent to me by Dick Clark's manager and I have the programs from both tours in 1963 and 1965. If anyone has a question I would be more that happy to respond. That first private Dick Clark party was in Elkhorn, Indiana when we had an open date but I don't recall where the second party took place.
    Hope alot of the people who were on these tours get to see the movies. It takes you back to the GOOD times.

Myron Lee

Hi Myron, I did the original post as was sent to me via email by a friend in NYC. I did share it with Nedra of the
    Ronettes and her husband, Scott Ross. Great stuff!!! Thanks so much. Are there any more? Who did you
    tour with in '65?

Again, thanks for keeping this wonderful piece of history!

Hi Randy,I can't remember all the acts on the second Dick Clark Caravan we did but it started in May of 1965 and we rehursed in New York again. Bobby Vee was the headliner again and the 2nd private party on my films was from that tour. I will dig the program book out and see who was on that show. We did get to play Dalls,Tx that time tho and it was a hudge crowd. I remember the Rolling Stones joined us in Phili for acouple shows and Dell Shannon as well. I saw Nedra on a PBS TV show a few yrs back and she looked like life has treated her well. Ronnie's husband has been intouch with me. Fun to hear from from people who were on the shows and I remember the hours we spent rehursing before we took off for the first date.

How many of those Dick Clark tours were there?

There were some Dick Clark tours before 1963 but not sure how many. I know that a band called The Mob who are friends of mine did at least one tour and I'm not sure of this but I heard that Bobby Vinton had a band and he also toured with Clark before he had his hit Roses Are Red.
    After the 1965 tour things pretty much shutdown because of the British Invasion. I don't think it was ever the same again.
    Myron Lee

The 59 show when it hit St Louis ......
    Attachment 4706
    Last edited by jsmith; 04-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.

I can't find where I have filed the real version of this
    so can only find this small defaced version at present ...
    think the missing bit adds up to Eddie COCHRAN
    Attachment 4708

Myron, if it's these guys that are your friends ........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me00md-1luo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwpWwO7bzho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNxTQZ3KvxI
    .................................................. .....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNxTQZ3KvxI
    ... then they have a few popular 45's in the UK.
    .... I'd love to know more about em !!

The tour seemed to run from July 15th to August 6th. List of participants ....
    Attachment 4788

The above is a1963 tour--all hit-makers that year.

Do you guys remember the movie Dick Clark did in the 50's or 60's? I think he played a teacher.

He did a movie with Tuesday Weld called Because They're Young. I also saw him in an early 70s movie where he
    played a fleeing convict. Don't recall the title, however.

This was a very intriging vid. Great to see a glimpse of what it was like on those package tours back in the day!

The Hurricanes worked with the Caravan

I finally found some proof that Johnny and the Hurricanes tour with the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars... 1961
    Name:  JH 0 DC Caravan.jpg
Views: 3243
Size:  85.8 KB

Check this Famous Fender Bassman Amplifier for sale on E-bay with some real history http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JiH2O8mHk

Hope this works! Dick Clark, Ronettes, Little Eva, Dale & Grace, Dovells, etc. Narrator makes one
    big blooper--a guy talking with Ronnie of the Ronettes outside the bus and later dancing with her
    is definitely NOT one of the Dovells.

Any way, a great treat!
    In the Caravan of Stars video, the guy with Ronnie and Estelle, dancing around outside the parked tour bus, at the 2 minute to 2:30 minute mark, is singer Norman Burnett of the Tymes.

That's him in the top left hand corner of the album cover photo below. I've heard that the Jaynetts and the Dixiebells were other girl groups on the same tour.

http://www.realgonemusic.com/storage...=1326166636815

Johnny and the Hurricanes Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Worthles View Post
    I finally found some proof that Johnny and the Hurricanes toured with the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars... 1961.
    Name:  JH 0 DC Caravan.jpg
Views: 3243
Size:  85.8 KB
    Here's a lot of pics and stories about the Hurricanes ! https://imoneofthe3002020.wordpress.com/

Here's a lot of pics and stories about the Hurricanes ! https://imoneofthe3002020.wordpress.com/

Here's a lot of pics and stories about the Hurricanes !
    Did you know that Ralph Terrana was a former Hurricane ? 1973
    https://imoneofthe3002020.wordpress.com/