[REMOVE ADS]

Devastating News - Davy Jones from the Monkees has passed away.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-j...?ncid=webmail2

RIP dear man and May God comfort his family.

Roberta

This is sad news, Roberta. The Monkees may have been a TV creation, but I loved their stuff and they provided great entertainment. Condolences to his family and firends.

RIP Davy.

WOW! most of us [[Monkee fans) thought we were going to lose Peter first. Death has finally touched this band too. Was lucky enough to meet David on several occasions over the years. Always a classy individual who seemed to really love performing and being with people. Fans are going to take this one really hard. So long, Daydream Believer.

Davy Jones, the lead singer of The Monkees, has passed away. He was 66 years old.

The news broke early on Wednesday afternoon via TMZ, who revealed a spokesperson from the Marin County, Florida, medical examiner’s office confirmed Jones had passed away of a heart attack.

Jones is survived by his wife, Jessica Pacheco, 33, and four grown daughters [[Talia, Sarah, Jessica and Annabel) from two previous marriages.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965, and along with Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz, cranked out a series of bubble-gum hits, including “I’m a Believer,” “Last Train to Clarksville” and “Daydream Believer.”

The quartet were brought together by television producers who wanted to create a sitcom about a music band; their zany skits, loose storylines and music sequences ran on NBC from 1966 to 1968 and was nominated for three Emmy Awards.

Jones’ other television roles included guest spots on Ben Casey, Love, American Style, Horse in the House, My Two Dads, Sledge Hammer!, Boy Meets World and a 2011 episode of Phineas and Ferb.

According to IMDB, Jones was born Dec. 30, 1945 in Manchester, England. With an initial career goal of becoming a race horse jockey, he was encouraged to pursue acting instead. Successful roles on Coronation Street and Pickwick Papers culminated in portraying the Artful Dodger in Oliver. That role brought him to the United States, where he was cast on The Monkees.

His last musical concert performance was Feb. 19 in Oklahoma.

I met him in 1988, and he was a really nice guy. I've seen the Monkees three times... in 1986, 87, and 97... and all three times it was a great show. I have a couple stories I'll share later.

Im so glad I was able to see them too Jill. I wished Nesmith had toured with them more though. When I saw them they were good! I mean really good! I couldnt wait to hear them sing She, and Words. When they leave the stage and they start to play the Monkees theme I would get a frog in my throat because I didnt want the show to be over. RIP Davey!

Mikey Dolenz and Peter Tork issue statements.

Micky Dolenz d a statement moments ago ... saying, "Can't believe it...Still in shock...had bad dreams all night long."

In a separate statement, Dolenz added -- "I am in a state of shock ... The time we worked together and had together is something I'll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime.

Monkees bassist Peter Tork also released a statement about Jones which reads:

"It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones.

His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to Jessica and the rest of his family.

I think I had one or two of their albums. Met him at the conventions that I attend every year. Totally cool dude. He will be missed.

Heard the news this morning [[PST) and just about drove off the road. Met him once. Very nice dude.

In a way, his passing validates T.J's PBS specials. Davy took part in the one that's currently in circulation.....I don't know when it was recorded, but I assume recently.....and for most people, it will have been the last time they see him perform.

The Monkees did some really psychadelic oriented things that many people aren't familiar with that only know their hits. Half of their movie "Head" was a magic mushroom trip:

February has been a rough month. The month started off with the loss of Don Cornelius and ends with the loss of Davey Jones.
    He was the Paul McCartney of the Monkees
    Condolences

Hw was so gosh darn cute. I've shed many a tear over Davy Jones today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU615FaODCg

Rest well sweet Prince and God be with you.

Roberta

This has always been my favorite of his lead vocals when he was with the Monkees:

Ok... here's one of my stories. I had front row seats for a Monkees concert in 1987, this venue they were at sucked [[And has since gone under) and the security they hired for this place was notorious for being total assholes. Well, this one chrome domed Mr. clean lookin guy was stationed right in front of the stage, and toward the end of the show, he was coming up to the front of the audience where everbody was up dancin and havin a good time, and making everybody sit down. He then went back to stand like a statue with his arms crossed right in front of the stage. Well... Davy had seen all this going on, and during and instrumental break in the song, casually walked up to the front of the stage while playing his tambourine, and spit on the jackass! When the song was over, it was announced from the stage that anybody can get up and dance if they WANTED, and this Mr. Clean reject couldn't do a damn thing for the remainder of the show.

Surviving Monkees may not attend Davy Jones Funeral.