[REMOVE ADS]

The Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You - 1966 performance

There seems to be a few new recruits to SDF who do not know about this super clip that Colton put up on Youtube about 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRX2Z...eature=related

It's a rare "pantomine" of the song that was shown in Detroit and local areas. They also pantomined "Needle In A Haystack" but that clip isn't available on youtube, as far as I can see.

Good one John but check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhVXsBn1pOw

Ok I got a little carried away
    I also like the performance where they have on purple singing "He Was Really Saying Something"
    but we were discussing "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You". Love it,,,,,,they look so fragile and young.

One of the strongest attractions of 60s Motown for me were the groups.

The co-ordinated movement of the feet, hands and arms were very effective in a theatre, especially if sitting a way back in the stalls, or up in the circle.

Just looking at the first clip brings all that feeling back, and registers how well it all worked within the confines of a TV screen.

Then add to that, the almost throwaway, cool glamour of ladies like The Velvelettes..and it's really Motown Magic.

Forward some decades with the other clips, and they've still got it.

Great to see them!

i"M KIND OF PARTIAL TO THE VINTAGE VELVELETTES' CLIPS FROM sWINGING TIME. i FINALLY SAW nEEDLE iN a hAYSTACK.

Thank you for the links James and the kind words from you too WGB. You both know how I like for these ladies to have a mention every now and again, just to remind folk the original ladies can still perform and do perform live and [[as can be seen from this links) ...still have what it takes. Cal sings regularly in church, often taking solos.

For those who are not sure of the line-up, they perform as [[far left) Bertha, then Norma, then Milly. Lead singer, Cal is far right.

Norma sings the high notes [[you can hear her distinctly on the No No NO's on I Can't Get Away), Milly's voice is very similar to Cal's and has a similar tone too. In the 60's, Milly would take on a solo singing "Summertime". Bertha was originally supposed to be the piano player but over time, Bertha was singing with them on stage too. Bertha is an incredibly talented piano/music teacher. I remember one time, when we were all a hotel in Bayswater London, Bertha saw a piano and started playing an impromptu "Money"! The hotel staff and guests were loving it.

Excuse my personal indulgence for a few minutes.

Kamasu.

Colton was only able to post a bit of it that clip some time ago [[which some of us will have) but even that is gone now. Would you have a link for it now?

There exists TV performances of the original 5 but getting hold of them, even as a museum exhibit, is like finding a..............."Needle In A Haystack".

Watched all the videos and thanks! These things was popular in Philly. Cal Street and the girls are gorgeous.

There are bootleg copies of Swingin` Time available with the Velvelettes, Elgins, Temptations and Stevie Wonder.

Love this song. Thank you for posting Rob

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    There seems to be a few new recruits to SDF who do not know about this super clip that Colton put up on Youtube about 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRX2Z...eature=related

It's a rare "pantomine" of the song that was shown in Detroit and local areas. They also pantomined "Needle In A Haystack" but that clip isn't available on youtube, as far as I can see.
    John....I didn't realize that I hadn't posted my extended version of "TTWKMLY"....
    here it is....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ_zms3fIIM

*whoooosh*

You've excelled yourself yet again John. I love it and it gets a top rating from me. Thank you for your continued support of the ladies.

Cal, Bertha, Milly and Norma are still performing as the Velvelettes, so if there are any promoters out there, just let me know and I'll get the message through to them.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    You've excelled yourself yet again John. I love it and it gets a top rating from me. Thank you for your continued support of the ladies.

Cal, Bertha, Milly and Norma are still performing as the Velvelettes, so if there are any promoters out there, just let me know and I'll get the message through to them.
    So glad you like it, XTown!