[REMOVE ADS]

0Bee Gees' Robin Gibb readmitted to hospital for cancer treatment

Latest NewsPrevious Story February 26, 2012 16:04
    0Bee Gees' Robin Gibb readmitted to hospital for cancer treatment Singer is battling colon and liver cancer
    More The Bee Gees news, reviews, videos and tour dates Buy The Bee Gees music from Amazon
    The Bee Gees news RSS Feed Photo: PA
    The Bee Gees' Robin Gibb re-entered hospital to receive more cancer treatment, his agent has said.

The singer checked back into the London Clinic on Wednesday [[February 22) and is currently being monitored by doctors. A representative for Gibb released a statement confirming that the 62-year-old had returned to the medical facility as part of his "rehabilitation".

Earlier this month, Gibb had announced that he was making a spectacular recovery from the disease. A spokesperson denied that Gibb's health is deteriorating, telling The Sun:
    We feared the worst. But doctors have said they are astounded at his response to treatment.
    Just thirteen days before being readmitted, Robin Gibb surprised an audience at the London Palladium by joining The Soldiers on stage at a charity concert, where he performed Bee Gee hits 'I've Gotta Get A Message To You', the song he recorded with the trio of serviceman for last year's poppy appeal, and 'How Deep Is Your Love'.

It was his first public appearance since being diagnosed with colon and liver cancer.

Gibb is set to make his classical debut next month [[March 19) with the release of his album based on the sinking of the Titanic. 'The Titanic Requiem' is a collaboration between Gibb and his son RJ and will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the

From that report, it seems obvious that It was colon cancer that has spread to his liver. I can't stress enough the importance of having a colonoscopy starting at age 50 at the latest. I had one at 39 and had two polyps removed [[Non cancerous), and it was probably the best move I've ever made. Now I know to keep on top of it, and have one every 5 years. Also, more fiber in your diet is supposed to help prevent cancer from developing. I know the idea of the procedure is not pleasant, but I can tell you, the PREP for it is the unpleasant part, the procedure is done under sedation [[But not general anesthesia) and is not unpleasant at all. Everyone be sure to get it done... Colon cancer is almost always VERY slow growing, and most times you have literally YEARS to catch it before it spreads to other parts of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    From that report, it seems obvious that It was colon cancer that has spread to his liver. I can't stress enough the importance of having a colonoscopy starting at age 50 at the latest. I had one at 39 and had two polyps removed [[Non cancerous), and it was probably the best move I've ever made. Now I know to keep on top of it, and have one every 5 years. Also, more fiber in your diet is supposed to help prevent cancer from developing. I know the idea of the procedure is not pleasant, but I can tell you, the PREP for it is the unpleasant part, the procedure is done under sedation [[But not general anesthesia) and is not unpleasant at all. Everyone be sure to get it done... Colon cancer is almost always VERY slow growing, and most times you have literally YEARS to catch it before it spreads to other parts of the body.
    The prep is definitely the worst part jillfoster. The Colonoscopy itself is a breeze.

Guys and gals please do the following, Colonoscopy ever ten years after 50 and insist that your doctor give you a Mammogram at 40. You may have to fight health care providers and insurance companies, but it's well worth the battle.

Roberta

atcsm Guest
    Amen to Roberta - prevention is what it is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The prep is definitely the worst part jillfoster. The Colonoscopy itself is a breeze.

Guys and gals please do the following, Colonoscopy ever ten years after 50 and insist that your doctor give you a Mammogram at 40. You may have to fight health care providers and insurance companies, but it's well worth the battle.

Roberta

atcsm Guest
    Plus it is a great afternoon nap after hearing good news. :-) if that's what you get - if not, hopefully it is caught in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    Amen to Roberta - prevention is what it is about.
    Last edited by atcsm; 02-27-2012 at 12:22 AM.

OK..........well, we'll one up the crowd tonight and it's time I faced this one on here.

As a couple of you know, I found out I had prostate cancer last summer..........found out because of the PSA Blood Test. I got told I was the fittest guy they'd ever operated on.

No family history, I still teach at the Y..........but I had it.

And a robot "did me" in October, 2011..............and we got it. And it's hard for me to say this.........but "it's gone" and I'm gonna be all right............

Get tested guys.

Yes... get a baseline test. they say that men should get tested starting at 50... i say BS. it's best to get a baseline test at 40, so you can watch your PSA progress as you get older. It WILL go up.... but the rate at which it goes up will tell alot. I had some issues a month ago, and it turned out just to be muscle spasms... but it was symptoms that worried one of prostate problems. But I had that baseline PSA 3 1/2 years ago and it was a nice, normal .6 reading. So this time, I just went back, had another, and it was a .7 reading. So then I was able to breathe easy and know that was not my problem.

Smart man; most of the guys I know are scared to death of all of these tests; they wait too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Smart man; most of the guys I know are scared to death of all of these tests; they wait too long.
    A little blood test is no big deal. And if your'e not insured, you can go to an online medical test place, and get it done for 25$, without even having to pay an office call to your doctor. I use www.econolabs.com You just buy it online, print out your test order, go to a local labcorp office close to you to get your blood drawn, and your results are emailed to you. Easy as pie. You can keep check on any routine blood test that way, without having to pay your doctor to get it for you.

Part of it is fear, but you have to consider a lot of men don't have health insurance, so that might be keeping a lot of them away, as well as just not being able to afford it. It's expensive going to the doctor.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 02-28-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Yes, it's totally different for Americans.

The robot operation I had did not cost me even 5 cents. We have government medicare of course. And then my extended benefits paid for some plane flights and hotel rooms.

I totally agree with you; Canadians live in a different healthcare world.

I had no symptoms of anything ever, right down to the day of the operation. It was all just picked up by a blood test.

I was told that vigourous exercise 3 times a week should keep most heart disease and cancer away from everyone............but it didn't for me.

OK..........well, we'll one up the crowd tonight and it's time I faced this one on here.

As a couple of you know, I found out I had prostate cancer last summer..........found out because of the PSA Blood Test. I got told I was the fittest guy they'd ever operated on.

No family history, I still teach at the Y..........but I had it.

And a robot "did me" in October, 2011..............and we got it. And it's hard for me to say this.........but "it's gone" and I'm gonna be all right............

Get tested guys.
    I'm thanking God that you are okay Jobeterob. What a relief for you and yours.

Sincerely,

Roberta

Yes, it's totally different for Americans.

The robot operation I had did not cost me even 5 cents. We have government medicare of course. And then my extended benefits paid for some plane flights and hotel rooms.

I totally agree with you; Canadians live in a different healthcare world.

I had no symptoms of anything ever, right down to the day of the operation. It was all just picked up by a blood test.

I was told that vigourous exercise 3 times a week should keep most heart disease and cancer away from everyone............but it didn't for me.
    I'm just gonna say this. Recent studies have suggested that frequent ejaculation reduces the incidence of prostate cancer. I suppose it's a matter of the prostate getting "it's" exercise But I guess that's a prescription nobody has a problem with!

J...........I practiced tons...........really I did. And DAMN, it DIDN'T WORK!

Praying that Robin eventually survives this. The last several years have been rough on him. God bless him and the entire Gibb family.

Hope Robin is fit enough to perform at The Titanic Requiem that he has written with his son in 2 weeks time! he is a fighter.

Jobeterob I guess you know Canada is the poster child for those on the right saying universal healthcare doesnt work. I am glad to hear that it does.

Im shocked Robin has lasted this long! When I saw him dropping all of that weight I was a little nervous but I will keep the prayers up.

Canadian Medicare Is Fantastic

Generalizing, the idea that Canadian Medicare doesn't work would come from narrow minded, ignorant Republicans - Rick Santorum, George Bush and the like.

It is the one sacred cow to Canadians ~ no politician would dare meddle with it. In polling Canadians, medicare usually comes up as #1 of what Canadians are proud of. The next usually is that we said no to George Bush and Iraq.

The surgery I referred to above, the only time I've ever had any, was done by a Robot; I was walking 6 hours later and released 18 hours later. And it did not cost me anything.

That is the way it should be in the U.S., Rob. Maybe someday soon.

Someday Soon...............for the USA, for Robin, for people who've suriv