[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Timmy,

Ironically, compared to the rest of the dance tracks on that LP, by comparison, "Thinking About You" is infinitely more funky & the only dance track that I ever liked or played from that LP.

I understand what you're saying when comparing it to "THE FUNK". But when placed within the context of the dance tracks of the LP, I understand what Nomis is saying.

I'd also have to say that it's not as electronic as other popular tracks of the period such as "Beat Box by Art Of Noise or "You're In My System" [[still one of my favorites & always will be).

Those were the 80s & for better or worse, music has never been quite the same since!
    OK, I do have a bit of fight. If we are talking about only the tracks on the album, I will make a case for "How Will I Know". Where is the funk you say? It's in the keyboard bass! It sounds just about as funky as anything George Clinton did.

Soulster,

I'll have to revisit that one to see. I hate to say it but that, ''I Wanna Dance With Somebody" & I Will Always Love You'' were 3 songs of hers that I've never liked. They were way too pop for my audience & myself as well.

Great vocal performances indeed. But I never warmed up to any of them.

I can't stand "I'll Always Love You", either, but I grew up with a lot of top 40 pop music from the 60s and 70s [[read: White), so I have no problem with her pop material.

I liked a lot of her "pop" classics for what they were, nothing great but fun to listen to. Her ballads stood in a class all of their own. I like her rendition of "I Will Always Love You" but it is lyrically one of the most insipid and poorly written tunes ever. She squeezed all of the juice out of that lemon; I can understand the aclaim and appreciate the performance but don't like the song.

Prior to her death, "I will always love you" was always listed as one of the most over played, hated songs ever.

One of my favorite songs from her first album was "Thinking about you". However, there were a couple of songs- that one included, that really sounded like filler.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Prior to her death, "I will always love you" was always listed as one of the most over played, hated songs ever.
    It still is with me. Just because she's passed on doesn't change my opinion.

Ahh, this is the old SDF I remember. Spirited discussion about the MUSIC. Thinking About You, funky?

Man, that a song's a Sir Nose classic. A picture of that record is imbedded with the definition of FakinTheFunk. To me, about as close as Whitney came to being born again Funky was Queen of The Night and MAYBE I'm Your Baby Tonight [[especially live versions).

I have to agree with my fellow Funkateers here, Whitney's music was, from the get go, created and marketed to a Pop audience. And there's nothing wrong with that. The fact the she had hellacious vocal chops and some down home gospel influences just sweetened the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    I have to agree with my fellow Funkateers here, Whitney's music was, from the get go, created and marketed to a Pop audience. And there's nothing wrong with that. The fact the she had hellacious vocal chops and some down home gospel influences just sweetened the deal.
    I had no problems with it either. However, that crowd of haters at the Soul Train Awards did when they booed her. I mean, WTF? I think that made her examine herself and want to appease them with the perception of her music and lifestyle. It was a long slow curve downhill after that point.

I'll second that, Chidrummer.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Timmy,

Ironically, compared to the rest of the dance tracks on that LP, by comparison, "Thinking About You" is infinitely more funky & the only dance track that I ever liked or played from that LP.

I understand what you're saying when comparing it to "THE FUNK". But when placed within the context of the dance tracks of the LP, I understand what Nomis is saying.

I'd also have to say that it's not as electronic as other popular tracks of the period such as "Beat Box by Art Of Noise or "You're In My System" [[still one of my favorites & always will be).

Those were the 80s & for better or worse, music has never been quite the same since!
    Well, I don't know what that means. Especially if you're talking about an album that was designed to be an extreme pop success.

Ahh, this is the old SDF I remember. Spirited discussion about the MUSIC. Thinking About You, funky?

Man, that a song's a Sir Nose classic. A picture of that record is imbedded with the definition of FakinTheFunk. To me, about as close as Whitney came to being born again Funky was Queen of The Night and MAYBE I'm Your Baby Tonight [[especially live versions).

Exactly. And again, that is the way she wanted it. She has never voiced an opposing view as to how she was promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    OK, I do have a bit of fight. If we are talking about only the tracks on the album, I will make a case for "How Will I Know". Where is the funk you say? It's in the keyboard bass! It sounds just about as funky as anything George Clinton did.
    You cannot be serious. That track cannot be compared to anything that George Clinton does in the studio. Even his throwaways.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    You cannot be serious. That track cannot be compared to anything that George Clinton does in the studio. Even his throwaways.
    I'm talking specifically of the bass line. Can you not mentally separate elements when you listen to music?

I'm talking specifically of the bass line. Can you not mentally separate elements when you listen to music?
    I don't care what element you speak of. The track is unfunky no matter what perspective you look at it from.
    Again, agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree, Soul.

"Thinking About You" was not a funk song and barely funky. It was the same as a million other B sides on a million other '80s albums But, that's just another opinion.

Now fellas, come ON now. Listen to Thinking About You and compare it to this!:

You tell me, Who's Funky?

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Agree to disagree, Soul.
    I wasn't pushing it, Ralph. I was just making my case. The problem with the written word is that it doesn't convey facial or body expression, or demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Agree to disagree, Soul.
    I wasn't pushing it, Ralph. I was just making my case. The problem with the written word is that it doesn't convey facial or body expression, or demeanor.

On the other hand, I have a vision of timmyfunk is getting steamed and not being able to accept a difference of opinion.

On the other hand, I have a vision of timmyfunk is getting steamed and not being able to accept a difference of opinion.
    Steamed? Hardly. A difference of opinion that I expressed with clarity and without emotion. Something that most people are able to pick up on.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Steamed? Hardly. A difference of opinion that I expressed with clarity and without emotion. Something that most people are able to pick up on.
    That's cool. Everyone always seems to think i'm always angry anyway. I'm used to it.

I've never seen you as mad ever..........LOL; maybe we agree too often.

That's cool. Everyone always seems to think i'm always angry anyway. I'm used to it.
    As long as no assumptions are made, everything is cool.

This thread has been hijacked

Last edited by abfan; 03-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.

I ain't been in here in so long but "Thinking About You" was the closest Whitney came to making anything "funky". But yeah it's just an '80s dance/R&B track to me. A bit lightweight at that since Whitney was never that big on dance records. Anyway, I hope the family and such finally give it a rest but I see they're still trying to milk the rest of her for what it's worth not unlike Michael. Sad. RIP.

Whitney not big on dance records ? she demanded dance remixes on the double greatest hits..Whitney loved to go clubbing and she loved the remixes of "Its Not Right" [[she sang the remix at Gay pride in NY)..last year she was executive producer on "The Essential" cd and again she made one of the discs all remixes..after "Exhale" soundtrack she had her eye on the dancefloor market.."its Not Right"..and "Try It On My Own" became club anthems...she may have fallen off the pop charts in the last few years but in clubland the thunderpuss and Hex Hector remixes were always being played..

Quote Originally Posted by abfan View Post
    This thread has been hijacked

Now that was a good memory, two of my favorite ladies. They can say whatever they want about Whitney, but I admired how she always had her mother, the woman that taught her by her side on those big nights. Her Dad must have been very proud as well. She always thanks God first anytime I have seen her winning an award and she won a TON of them!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Whitney not big on dance records ? she demanded dance remixes on the double greatest hits..Whitney loved to go clubbing and she loved the remixes of "Its Not Right" [[she sang the remix at Gay pride in NY)..last year she was executive producer on "The Essential" cd and again she made one of the discs all remixes..after "Exhale" soundtrack she had her eye on the dancefloor market.."its Not Right"..and "Try It On My Own" became club anthems...she may have fallen off the pop charts in the last few years but in clubland the thunderpuss and Hex Hector remixes were always being played..
    I wouldn't put her dance tracks next to, say, Teena Marie or Jody Watley. Some of those remixes come off sounding somewhat bland and unexciting. At least to my ears.

Whitney not big on dance records ? she demanded dance remixes on the double greatest hits..
    That's where she screwed up. A lot of people were pissed that the greatest hits CD didn't have the correct, or even the single mixes/versions. people really do not want new remixes. They want the familiar hits. People get pissed at Madonna for the same reason.

Now fellas, come ON now. Listen to Thinking About You and compare it to this!:

You tell me, Who's Funky?
    I mentioned this discussion about Whitney and funk to co worker of mine......and her response was the same as yours.

I never dug "Queen Of The Night" its got that En Vogue "Free Your Mind" or Janets "Black Cat" vibe just too rock for me..someone mentioned the acapella version of "Love Will Save The Day" thats really hard to get in my corner of the world..it was never released in New Zealand as a single I bid on a cd single on Ebay of it a couple of years ago but the bids just got too high for me an Iam a Whitney addict...
    Clive marketed dance singles from the word go..there was never two ballads released in a row..it was always one ballad -one dance song- one ballad the only exception I can recall was the last two singles from "Im your baby tonight" and that may have just been an international territory thing....as for Jody Watley she sounded waaay more mechanical on all her singles than Ms Houston..Jody had very limited top range some producers put it to good use on say the chorus of "Night To Remember" but Im gonna be a cat on a hot tin roof here and say even Janet had more range than Jody..less natural volume to Janets pipes but theres better singing on "Control" and "Rythmn Nation' than Jodys first two solo Lps..

Jody Watley sounded anything other than mechanical on her singles. Her singles, particularly the 12 remixes, were 50 times more funkier than anything Whitney did. Jody, Janet, and Teena's jams were tailor made for the dancefloor and the remixes just sent thangs over the top. Looking For A New Love, Real Love, What Have You Done For Me Lately, Pleasure Principle, Square Biz, I Need Your Lovin', take your pick. And you really don't need great vocal range to have a great dance remix. While Whitney may have received club airplay, the others ruled the clubs with an iron hand.

I'd rather listen to Teena Marie or Janet Jackson's 80s stuff any day!

I'd rather listen to Teena Marie or Janet Jackson's 80s stuff any day!
    I like a lot of old Teena Marie songs but Jam and Lewis had Janet in the center of my listening world in the late '80s. IMO, she can't sing worth a dime [[more like she whispers and they EQ and amp her volume), but "When I Think of You" and "Love Will Never Do Without You" were the perfect example of what great producers can do with the right voice. Both of those songs sound great at regular volume but 10x better when turned up really loud.

smark21 Guest
    I never dug "Queen Of The Night" its got that En Vogue "Free Your Mind" or Janets "Black Cat" vibe just too rock for me..someone mentioned the acapella version of "Love Will Save The Day" thats really hard to get in my corner of the world..it was never released in New Zealand as a single I bid on a cd single on Ebay of it a couple of years ago but the bids just got too high for me an Iam a Whitney addict...
    Clive marketed dance singles from the word go..there was never two ballads released in a row..it was always one ballad -one dance song- one ballad the only exception I can recall was the last two singles from "Im your baby tonight" and that may have just been an international territory thing....as for Jody Watley she sounded waaay more mechanical on all her singles than Ms Houston..Jody had very limited top range some producers put it to good use on say the chorus of "Night To Remember" but Im gonna be a cat on a hot tin roof here and say even Janet had more range than Jody..less natural volume to Janets pipes but theres better singing on "Control" and "Rythmn Nation' than Jodys first two solo Lps..
    For her first album, Arista primarily released ballads as Whitney Houston singles. You Give Good Love followed by Saving All My Love for You. Then Greatest Love of All followed by All at Once. For the Whitney album, dance singles alternated with ballads. And for Bodyguard, I believe Run to You followed I Have Nothing as a single. And Whitney didn't record any dance songs for the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. If memory serves me correctly, Why Does it Hurt So Bad followed Exhale as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I like a lot of old Teena Marie songs but Jam and Lewis had Janet in the center of my listening world in the late '80s. IMO, she can't sing worth a dime [[more like she whispers and they EQ and amp her volume), but "When I Think of You" and "Love Will Never Do Without You" were the perfect example of what great producers can do with the right voice. Both of those songs sound great at regular volume but 10x better when turned up really loud.
    I can totally agree with that.

Clive put out "Hold Me"..then "thinking about you" [[may have only been a "12)...then "You Give Good Love"..then "Saving All My Love.." [[yup 2 ballads in a row there)//then "How Will I Know" finishing with "Greatest "....as for "Why Does It Hurt So Bad"..that had limited international single terriotry release...I cant remember if "Run" and "Nothing" were released side by side but they must have been because Im sure "Queen Of The Night" was the final release off the soundtrack..but my point still stands she was always marketed to the dance market..and by "My Love Is Your Love" cd theres more dance single releases than ballads...

Janets voice is low in natural volume but she can sing- the last 60 secounds or so of "Pleasure Principle" or "Rythmn Nation" have way more range than Jody can pull out on things like "Still a Thrill " or "Dont You Want Me"..Jody can sing but she has limited range I liked the way she held the acapella opening note on "Some Kind Of Lover " "12..but that dont hold a candle to janets singing on the last 2 mins of "Where Are You Now "...

I think Janet Jackson sings very well. She just has a soft voice, but it is very soulful at times. Call me crazy. She really shows her range on "He doesn't know that I'm alive".

ha ha skooldem..not many folks remember "He Dosent Know" she sang real high in that..