[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    "Young Rascals" question

    Does anyone know who did the background vocals for "Lonely Too Long" and "Beautiful Morning"..?

  2. #2
    The other members of the band.

  3. #3
    I figured that but I thought I may have heard some female vocalist too

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightTurner View Post
    I figured that but I thought I may have heard some female vocalist too
    One of the band members is singing a falsetto. I just listened to it very carefully. I do not hear any female voices, and I am not aware that anyone other than the band sang on it.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    One of the band members is singing a falsetto. I just listened to it very carefully. I do not hear any female voices, and I am not aware that anyone other than the band sang on it.
    They sound damn good!

  6. #6
    Eddie usually works out the background harmonies and the group sings

  7. #7
    One of the background singers was Eddie Brigati's brother David, who worked as a studio singer with the Rascals on a consistent basis. David Brigati's involvement with the Rascals was so great that some have questioned why he was never made an official member of the group. Both David and Eddie Brigati had been members of Joey Dee and the Starliters earlier in the sixties.

  8. #8
    David was in the Starliters Eddie wasn't. David was in an earlier doo wop group that had a local hit on Dorothy.

  9. #9
    When I was in The Sunliners, we were the house band at the Peppermint Lounge in NYC in 1963. We got to be good friends with Davie (he told me of the huge smile he had on his face the day he drove a new Cadillac out of the showroom floor), who was at the club nearly nightly. Eddy, his younger brother, was always trying to sneak into the club, but was not old enough to get in. We would chase him out of the club. One night he was rather pissed at us and told us someday he would start his own band. The boy did well.

  10. #10
    Ralph

    How old did you need to be to get into the clubs in those days. Cal Street told me that she wasn't supposed to be able to get into the Roostertail and she had to be sneaked in.

  11. #11
    According to Wikipedia, which as we know is not always right, Eddie Brigati eventually became one of the later members of the Starliters touring group. Others who are said to have toured as Starliters include Felix Cavaliere and Gene Cornish (two other members of the Rascals), Jimmy James (later known as Jimi Hendrix) and Joe Pesci (the actor).

  12. #12
    18 was the drinking age in NY back then. It was 21 in Jersey, so people went to NY to drink.

  13. #13
    Imnokid

    Thanks for that. I thought it might be as low as 16 or even 14. In the UK, over 14's were allowed in pubs ie bars but not allowed to drink alcohol.

  14. #14
    'In the UK, over 14's were allowed in pubs ie bars but not allowed to drink alcohol.'

    Wow , that's like going to the beach but you can't go in the water!!! Why bother???/

  15. #15
    John,
    Yes, the legal age in NYC to get into clubs was 18. I think Eddy was probably 17 or so at that time.

  16. #16
    Thanks guy

    I was being very devious and trying to work out which year Velvelette Cal Street was born! She had to be sneaked into the Roostertail.

    Daddyacey...I guess that's why it was later changed. It proves we did have at least one Prime Minister who talked sense!!! LOL

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    John,
    Yes, the legal age in NYC to get into clubs was 18. I think Eddy was probably 17 or so at that time.
    Back then at 18 we had to reg for the draft!!! I'll never forget that shxx. My birthday came up the year before I turned 18. I was scared as hell my number would come up the next year. If you gonna kill me ,then at least let me smoke cigs and drink!!!!!!!!!!! For me that was 3 years after Woodstock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  18. #18
    I figured that but I thought I may have heard some female vocalist too
    There were no female vocalists in the Rascals until the "Peaceful World" album came out. By then Eddie and Gene left the group. In their place were Ann Sutton and Molly Holt. They were also on the follow up album to "Peaceful World" which was "Island of Real".

  19. #19
    When I played the Peppermint Lounge in the early 60s, Eddie, who was under legal age, would try and sneak into the club. We always caught him, and it became a game, and as he was leaving we would tell him to start his own band. Guess he was paying attention.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    When I played the Peppermint Lounge in the early 60s, Eddie, who was under legal age, would try and sneak into the club. We always caught him, and it became a game, and as he was leaving we would tell him to start his own band. Guess he was paying attention.
    OMG Ralph, you played the Peppermint Lounge???? Were you in a band or were you in charge of who was allowed in or not--or BOTH? How awesome!!! I bet you could tell some stories. I've read in several sources how Eddie would try to sneak into the club and other venues. Sounds like fun times!

  21. #21
    RTA I was the keyboard player in The Sunliners. We were the house band at the Peppermint for a while. Yeah there are a few stories in there.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    According to Wikipedia, which as we know is not always right, Eddie Brigati eventually became one of the later members of the Starliters touring group. Others who are said to have toured as Starliters include Felix Cavaliere and Gene Cornish (two other members of the Rascals), Jimmy James (later known as Jimi Hendrix) and Joe Pesci (the actor).
    Yes, this is correct. Dino Danelli was in New Orleans on Bourbon Street playing in jazz bands; that was until Felix, Eddie and Gene recruited him to be a part of the Rascals.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.