[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Supremes At The Copa.

I`ve heard from Motown Treasures that this is coming up next.I`m not fizzing.

Yes, it's and Baby It's Me.

Copa wasn't my favorite; I'll take Earl Van Dyke over the Copa.

All of this was discussed on Midnight Johnny's Radio Show with Andy and George. A podcast is going to be available soon if not already.

They talk about Stop in the Name of Love and who sings on it, The Copa, sending copies of the CDs to Rhonda and Diana, the salacious nutcase type of fan, the vault, the masters, etc. But it does have a Ross/Supremes bias, so it may not be popular with every Motown fan.

Thanks for this information I have been waiting for this and i hope they include the song "People" from the opening night performance with Ballard's lead. that LP which I play every July is fantabulous its full of Supremes hype that made them great the show tunes, and The Sam Cooke medley intro, Queen of the House are comedic & soulful & heart wrenching can't wait, you won't find any Andantes hiding behind the curtain thankfully DMF.

I am SO looking forward to "The Copa" CD, only ever had this on vinyl, and who knows what will be added back in[[like Flo on "People"), can't wait to pre order this! [[and "Baby It's Me"; I've been playing the DIANA ROSS 'Black" cd set all week over and over; so happy with all this stuff..)

The Supremes Sam Cooke medley on their Copa recording is definitely one of the highlights of this set. A remastered version with material cut out from the original shows would be very welcome. Name:  Supremes at the Cave #2 1967.jpg
Views: 5640
Size:  64.4 KB

Although I never saw the original Supremes lineup, I did see the women perform in Montreal during a 3 three day, six show gig during Expo '67. This photo is taken from the Supremes' performance at the Cave supper club, in Vancouver, Canada during the spring of 1967. The Cave is long gone, and during its heyday, hosted virtually every main headlining act popular during the forties through to the early eighties.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 02-26-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: adding info

Could you please post an web address where I could listen to the Midnight Johnny's Radio show and hear Andy and George share information? Thanks!Name:  Nothing But Heartaches.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  49.6 KB

Here you go:

www.womr.org

Tuesday, 6 to 9 PM, ET

I don't know if the podcast is yet available but one is supposed to be sooner or later.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 02-26-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Nice one Mark

the Copa lp was good but ok for me. to many standards for me but they did cut/delete alot of other tracks off such as WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO /NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES and others. i think the Copa deluze 2 cd set will bring us more gems since i imagine it will include their 2nd set ,the unreleased CAPTURED LIVE IN STAGE from 1967. i think the ROGERS AND HART lp may have been released instead. the only thing i disliked more than the too many standards was the cover art work, but thats just my opinion.

What a great picture, Mark - thanks so much for sharing [[are there any more?)

I can't wait for the COPA release - it was one of my first Supremes LPs and a sentimental fave. As others have said, the "Sam Cooke" medley is a real standout. I wonder if we'll hear some of the original tapes with Diana's first vocals [[she apparently overdubbed most of the songs because her voice was hoarse)? Since it's a 2-disc set I'm also betting we get the unreleased live LP [[recorded at Detroit's ROOSTERTAIL, yes?) davidh mentioned as a bonus...

I always thought that Queen of the House was a song that Motown put together. I've heard others since.

I'll say this for what it's worth. Ivy Jo Hunter told me [[and others) that an instrumental version of "The Lovin' Country" was the opening theme for the Copa performance. He spoke about it proudly too. Weren't the Supremes performing at the Copa more than once?

you kids are too young; I'm a 60's kid...
    "Queen Of The House" was a parody of a #1 record called "King Of The Road" by Roger Miller, it was a Weird Al type re write from the woman's point of view...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOkc6aEfkM

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I always thought that Queen of the House was a song that Motown put together. I've heard others since.

I'll say this for what it's worth. Ivy Jo Hunter told me [[and others) that an instrumental version of "The Lovin' Country" was the opening theme for the Copa performance. He spoke about it proudly too. Weren't the Supremes performing at the Copa more than once?
    Queen of the House was an "answer" record to Roger Miller's hit King of the Road. It became a hit in its own right, and the Supremes put the song in their act. The original Supremes had two seperate gigs at the Copa. Back then, their entrance theme was I HEAR A SYMPHONY and it probably was at the Copa too. But the seventies Supremes appeared at the Copa quite a few times and perhaps that is when Lovin Country was used as the opening theme. I saw the seventies Supremes there every time that they appeared but don't remember what their opening theme was. During one performance, Jean was not there, new Supreme Lynda was in lead, and a Cindy was back. [[I think she was pregnant) I was so excited about seeing the Supremes, that it took me a few seconds to realize that this was a unique lineup. But , I am sure the casual fan did not even notice. In fact , at the next table I heard someone say, "Which one is Diana?".

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    you kids are too young; I'm a 60's kid...
    "Queen Of The House" was a parody of a #1 record called "King Of The Road" by Roger Miller, it was a Weird Al type re write from the woman's point of view...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOkc6aEfkM
    "King of the Road "was very popular when I was in grade school. So I'm right along with you Jimi.

The main things I remember about this album were the fact that everything seemed to be too fast [[since been told it was speeded up to cram it on the vinyl), and Jimmy Garrett's bass was very much to the fore in the mix. At the right speed, it should sound a lot better.

Here is Jody Miller's hit version of "Queen Of The House"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdMISGruB0Q

LOL. It WAS Johnny Raven that pointed the Jody Miller version out to me some years ago!!

Loving this pic.....did you take it ?
    Never seen it before

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    The Supremes Sam Cooke medley on their Copa recording is definitely one of the highlights of this set. A remastered version with material cut out from the original shows would be very welcome. Name:  Supremes at the Cave #2 1967.jpg

Although I never saw the original Supremes lineup, I did see the women perform in Montreal during a 3 three day, six show gig during Expo '67. This photo is taken from the Supremes' performance at the Cave supper club, in Vancouver, Canada during the spring of 1967. The Cave is long gone, and during its heyday, hosted virtually every main headlining act popular during the forties through to the early eighties.

I was expecting I Hear A Symphony to be the next one, so it's a pleasant surprise that they're doing At The Copa. Keep 'em coming!

I think John got called young in here! Ya right! But he is likely basking in the glow or rolling in the deep.

Next, we'll get Marv and Dave called young.

Dave spelled out what I didn't like about the Copa............it was too fast, sped up, whatever.

But didnt the Boy from Ipanema come off it? I thought they did that better than the original.

And really, the Copa marked the rise of Diana Ross, the tanking of Diane, and the end of the Supremes.

she was already being listed as Diana by "The Copa"s release, but she announces herself as Diane;
    if the name change had never happened, would things have been different for her..of course not...if Diane was all we knew, then that would be the name we came to love..

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And really, the Copa marked the rise of Diana Ross, the tanking of Diane, and the end of the Supremes.
    The end of The Supremes? Trying to stir the pot again, Rob?

I think everyone is going to love this upcoming expanded edition of "At the Copa"! That's all I can say!

Can Hip O Select release expanded editions on other Motown artists other than the Supremes?

They release new projects according to past sales...so that's why it's important to buy/support as much as possible, even the compilations.

[QUOTE=ejluther;95942]What a great picture, Mark - thanks so much for sharing [[are there any more?)

Good to hear you enjoyed the photo. Yes, Vancouver Sun photographer, Ken Oakes took a number of photographs of the Supremes' performances and I'll post them on here later today. Cheers! Mark

Although I never saw the original Supremes lineup, I did see the women perform in Montreal during a 3 three day, six show gig during Expo '67. This photo is taken from the Supremes' performance at the Cave supper club, in Vancouver, Canada during the spring of 1967.
    This is a GREAT shot Mark! But, it couldn't have been taken in the Spring of 1967. That's Cindy in the shot. I believe they did Expo '67 in the fall of '67. Please post more shots if you have 'em.

Hello Mark, was also in attendance for 3 of the 6 shows in August 1967 at the Montreal Expos Theatre.

As far as The Supremes at The Copa, it was recorded in September 1965 i guess, and I did saw The Supremes for the 1st time in July 1965 in Hampton Beach, so it was the same show, so I will Always cherish that album. But for me Live at The London's Talk of The Town is my favorite live album.

she was already being listed as Diana by "The Copa"s release
    But she was never listed as anything but "Diana" on their records, was she? She was listed as "Diana" on MEET THE SUPREMES and WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and, obviously, as "Diana" [[along with "Mary" & "Flo") on the cover of MORE HITS...

The Supremes were getting down at the Copa! Almost everyone's house you visited back then seem to have that album and "Where Did Our Love Go?"

Quote Originally Posted by johnbell View Post
    Hello Mark, was also in attendance for 3 of the 6 shows in August 1967 at the Montreal Expos Theatre.

As far as The Supremes at The Copa, it was recorded in September 1965 i guess, and I did saw The Supremes for the 1st time in July 1965 in Hampton Beach, so it was the same show, so I will Always cherish that album. But for me Live at The London's Talk of The Town is my favorite live album.
    I have an inteview Diane did for CBC Radio she did during their stint at Expo '67.

i suppose disc 1 will be the stereo and mono versions,maybe with out takes and disc 2 will be the other live engagement from 67 with more outtakes.sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    But she was never listed as anything but "Diana" on their records, was she? She was listed as "Diana" on MEET THE SUPREMES and WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and, obviously, as "Diana" [[along with "Mary" & "Flo") on the cover of MORE HITS...
    She was mistakenly listed as Diane in the liner notes of SING COUNTRY WESTERN & POP.

What is the big deal with "Diana" and "Diane"? I know the facts [[the name on her birth certificate, the name they use to call her when she was young, "Diane" as a weapon for some people) but what is the difference for an English-speaking person between the two names? Is one more elegant than the other? I know the choice of names implies many things but have to confess that I can't see clearly what "Diana" or "Diane" implies. If somebody could help me with this... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She was mistakenly listed as Diane in the liner notes of SING COUNTRY WESTERN & POP.
    But she does presnts herself as "Diane Ross" on the Copa album...I just listenned to it.

the name Diana resonates as a more powerful name, that 'uh' at the end makes all the difference in the world;
    Diane is a pretty name but a more casual sounding name; obviously, Berry Gordy got this, anyway,early on, and the do call her Diane on the Country western and Pop album liner notes;
    would this have stopped her from being a fabulous star ? I don't think so;
    it just helped to make her MORE fabulous.;.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    What is the big deal with "Diana" and "Diane"? I know the facts [[the name on her birth certificate, the name they use to call her when she was young, "Diane" as a weapon for some people) but what is the difference for an English-speaking person between the two names? Is one more elegant than the other? I know the choice of names implies many things but have to confess that I can't see clearly what "Diana" or "Diane" implies. If somebody could help me with this... :-)
    I agree with you completely. Some people think they're so "cute" referring to her as Diane, as if they are that familiar and personal with her. Yet these same fake ass people never spell Marvin's last name GAY or refer to Stevie Wonder as Steveland Judkins or Steveland Hardaway or when was the last time you read the name William Robinson instead of Smokey Robinson? FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Seems to me people often point to her changing from "Diane" to "Diana" as a symbol of her becoming full of herself and/or of being a phony person [[especially since Mary and Flo never changed their names). I suppose it is an easy example to hang your criticisms of her upon but, in the end, it's a pretty weak argument because very few stars hold on to their original names. And, as Jimi points out, "Diana" has a different impact and appeal than "Diane" - it certainly has deeper classical roots and reads more grand...

PS: Thanks for pointing out the use of "Diane" on CW&P. The fact that she calls herself "Diane" on COPA makes me wonder how long it was until she became completely comfortable with "Diana" herself, let alone "Miss Ross"? Seems to me Berry Gordy was the initial drive behind both names for her. I know Diana was a more-than-willing participant in her own career but it's easy to forget how young they all were and who was really driving the ship...
    Last edited by ejluther; 02-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    the name Diana resonates as a more powerful name, that 'uh' at the end makes all the difference in the world; [...]*it just helped to make her MORE fabulous.;.*
    And, as*Jimi*points out, "Diana" has a different impact and appeal than "Diane" - it certainly has deeper classical roots and reads more grand...*
    Thanks for the answers. I didn't know that.

Seems to me people often point to her changing from "Diane" to "Diana" as a symbol of her becoming full of herself and/or of being a phony person [[especially since Mary and Flo never changed their names).
    1. Bashing Diana Ross seems to be a national sport for many people in the US. :-)
    [[David Nathan begins his chapter about her more or less in that way in "Soulful Divas".)

2. Actually, Flo isn't exactly her real name either...

I think the whole "Diane" thing stopped once they became Diana Ross and the Supremes. On their What's My Line appearance in 1966 the host announces her as "Diane Ross" and then on the Andy Williams Show in 1967 when Andy is interviewing them he keeps referring to Diana as "Diane". While we're on the subject of people's "not-so-real-names-calling" didn't Diana always call Florence "Blondie"? And doesn't she still call her that? [[I remember on one of her Oprah appearances she referred to her as Blondie a few times).

And Berry and Diana call each other "Black". I think a person should be called what the person prefers to be called. We used to call my brother Junior longer than we should have. He told us that he rather be called by his given name and we honored that. I notice that on this and other places on the Internet people who do not care for Diana refer to her as Diane. Have no idea why, perhaps to show disrespect what for she prefers to be called. Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    And Berry and Diana call each other "Black". I think a person should be called what the person prefers to be called. We used to call my brother Junior longer than we should have. He told us that he rather be called by his given name and we honored that. I notice that on this and other places on the Internet people who do not care for Diana refer to her as Diane. Have no idea why, perhaps to show disrespect what for she prefers to be called. Just an observation.
    Growing up in Detroit, most of us who followed the Sups referred to her as 'Diane.' I still do. It isn't out of disrespect, but more familiarity, a kind of feeling that we grew up with her, that she was one of us, so to speak, being from the same town.

I believe her given name is Diana, actually, not Diane. I think of 'Diane' as more a term of endearment, like a nickname, more than anything else.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Growing up in Detroit, most of us who followed the Sups referred to her as 'Diane.' I still do. It isn't out of disrespect, but more familiarity, a kind of feeling that we grew up with her, that she was one of us, so to speak, being from the same town.

I believe her given name is Diana, actually, not Diane. I think of 'Diane' as more a term of endearment, like a nickname, more than anything else.
    By that same token then how do you spell Marvin's last name? And do you refer to Stevie Wonder as Steveland Hardaway Judkins and when was the last time you referred to the Miracles as William Robinson and the Miracles? I just think it's obnoxious for people who don't know her personally to call her Diane. She's an international star and she's known as Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    By that same token then how do you spell Marvin's last name? And do you refer to Stevie Wonder as Steveland Hardaway Judkins and when was the last time you referred to the Miracles as William Robinson and the Miracles? I just think it's obnoxious for people who don't know her personally to call her Diane. She's an international star and she's known as Diana Ross.
    To some it's a term of familiarity, to others one of endearment, to still others it's one of derision. When referring to her by her first name in the context of the original Supremes I've always referred to her as Diane and have done so since I heard her introduce herself as that on the Copa album, and to me it's always been and will always be DianeMaryandFlo, but when I use her first and last names in other contexts I refer to her as Diana Ross. Just as some of my friends and loved ones call me Allan and others Al and I don't give a rat's arse either way. What's in a name anyway?

Isn't "Diana" a misprint on her birth certificate and "Diane" the name originally chosen by her parents?

Well, I think I tried to explain above...being a home town Detroit girl, we others felt like we did know her. Sorry if you find it obnoxious. I think you need to lighten up a bit...it's not as if she's royalty or anything.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-28-2012 at 03:41 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Well, I think I tried to explain above...sorry if you find it obnoxious. I think you need to lighten up a bit...it's not as if she's royalty or anything.
    No she isn't royalty, I've never stated that she was, but stop acting like she's your best friend from grade school and that you knew her on such a personal level that you can call her Diane. That is all.

No she isn't royalty, I've never stated that she was, but stop acting like she's your best friend from grade school and that you knew her on such a personal level that you can call her Diane. That is all.
    Unfortunately, I don't take direction from anonymous bloggers who disagree with me. Cheers.

RossHolloway Guest
    Unfortunately, I don't take direction from anonymous bloggers who disagree with me. Cheers.
    No worries my friend. Do you. I still wonder why you [[and the other fakes) don't spell Marvin's last name GAY or refer to Stevie as Steveland or call the Miracles, William Robinson and the Miracles....I mean if you can respect Marvin, Stevie and Smokey enough to call them by their well known entertainment/stage name I wonder why DianA can't be afforded the same respect....very curious. But your silence pretty much answers my question for me. That is all. Carry on.