[REMOVE ADS]

BBC troll does jazz

Most people in the Uk are familiar with the factoids that appear on screen during such BBC fodder as Top of The Pops 2. There was even a Motown compilation a little while ago with unfounded drivel in the little panel below the perfomances.

Have just been watching a show about jazz 88 players at the Beeb. It seems that Dave Brubeck used his piano playing to work his way throughout college. I have done this in various public buildings - enter at the front, play the piano, thrown out at the back. According to the resident troll, Take Five was written by Brubeck for Paul Desmond - get this - 'a saxophone player with the Dave Brubeck Quartet'. Mr Desmond was on screen at the moment of this statement, laying down his usual lyrical mastery. You would search in vain for the other members of the sax section among the four players present.

Next we were informed that Thelonius had built a reputation as one of the most inventive piano players in any genre. Pity he wasted all that time in jazz. He could so easily have been the most inventive player of Lizst or Rachmaninov. How many genres is it good to be creative in?

You would be amazed what the troll thinks Duke Ellington was up to, or that Count Basie seems to be most famous for appearing on other people's TV shows and dying.

If nobody at the BBC knows anything, why don't they just shut the [expletive deleted] up and play the music?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  21.1 KB
    Paul Desmond WAS a saxophone player with The Dave Brubeck Quartet [[which also consisted of a piano player [[Brubeck), a drummer and a bass player. I see nothing in that statement that implies they were a saxophone section of a larger band or orchestra.

I must have missed something, or you have left out the details of that alleged trolling related to Brubeck/Desmond and The Dave Brubeck Quartet.
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-22-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Paul Desmond was THE saxophone player with the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Paul Desmond was on screen and playing Take Five. The person who had written the caption clearly did not know this, but had read the statement and copied it from Wikipedia or some such source. If the BBC feels the need to overlay captions on these performances, it would be a great deal more useful if they contained evaluated information or, perhaps, identified who we were looking at, rather than this feeble schoolboy 'research'.

Are you defining 'troll' in some kind of way other than a scary woodland creature, Robb?

I just looked it up and see that there is a definition of Troll of which I was unaware. I was using it in the sense of droig, duffer or dozy plonker, with more reference to Scandinavian mythology than the internet.