[REMOVE ADS]

FUNK HISTORY MONTH-The Overview

FUNK HISTORY MONTH-The Overview
    GEORGE CLINTON AND PARLIAMENT-FUNKADELIC

BB KINGS BLUES CLUB-NYC 2/8/12
    STARLAND BALLROOM-Sayreville, NJ 2/11/12
    KESWICK THEATRE-Glenside, Pa. 2/18/12

While the recent passing of Etta James, Don Cornelius, and Whitney Houston put a dark cloud on what is usually a period of celebration and re-examination [[Black history month), it was left up to Parliament-Funkadelic and the band’s center axis, George Clinton , to help us refocus our energies and priorities into a central objective: to free our minds and give up some Funk in the joyful process. And this time around the process held numerous surprises.

Whether it was Michael Hampton seeking new and innovative ways to shred “Maggot Brain”, or Kim Manning wiggling on roller skates, or Garrett Shider channeling the nappy spirit of his dad during “One Nation Under A Groove”, or Mary Griffin tearing shit up from one side of the stage to the other, or Jeff Bunn putting blistering on his fingers with every solo he takes, or 50 women storming the stage during “Atomic Dog”, the U.S. Funk Mob continues to defy the thought process of those who think they’re going to witness a ‘Funk by numbers’ musical presentation.

This is usually the time when I give major props to those who stood side by side with me to witness the Funk carnage: John Gil, Jen [[who’s last name escapes me), Carlon Scott, Robin Mitchell and daughter Cree, Mike Warren, Mike Veal, Carlos McMurray, Kim Manning, Kier Kirby, Grace Kelly, Glenn Grau, Frank Collier, Jeff Bunn, Rob Portee, Boo Hall, Larry Bryant, Lawrence White, Rob Krall, KC, Greg Thomas, the Berklee College Of Music [[who awarded George Clinton with an honorary degree) and a special shout out to Angela Cole, who kept my mind straight during the off days. And lastly, to George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic keeping the Funk in a perspective that evolves continuously, yet always stays firmly planted on the one.

Star Child/Uncle Jam was one of the major influences on music created by Black performers. There's a very rare upper echelon [[that includes Bob Marley, Chuck Berry, and [[IMO) Smokey) of artists who broke molds and changed rules. My first Parliament album was Gloryhallastoopid, which I skipped lunch and art class one day in order to run over to purchase from the record store. I loved even the filler material on that album and became a huge fan of George Clinton to this day. I salute the innovator who provided me many great youthful memories.

Every month is Funk Month but December is the official Funk Month since 1979