[REMOVE ADS]

Is Oprah desperate to get back on top?

BlogMSN Exclusives
    Exclusive Video

By Jackie Burns, February-17-12
    Is Oprah desperate to get back on top?
    She’s been begging viewers to watch her cable network and now she’s reportedly mulling a movie role.

0You recommend this55%You don't recommend this45%Shared 2 times

AP Photo; John Amis

Oprah Winfrey voluntarily abdicated her throne but now the former Queen of Daytime TV appears to be missing her reign.

"The Oprah Winfrey Show" faded to black after 25 seasons last May, but in months that have followed, the 58-year-old has been struggling to find success for her cable network [[OWN), causing quite a stir on Twitter recently when she was accused of "begging" for viewers.

"Every 1 who can please turn to OWN especially if u have a Nielsen box," Winfrey tweeted to more than nine million followers during the Grammys on Sunday, just before "Oprah's Next Chapter" was set to air.

When some followers suggested her move was more than a little "desperate," the former talk show host quickly defended herself in a series of highly-charged tweets.

"The word 'please' is used as courtesy not a beg... 'desperate' not ever a part of my vocab ... 'unethical' a little harsh don't u think? Seemed like it made sense to me. Sorry if u're offended."

By Monday morning, Winfrey had issued a statement saying she'd removed the tweet at the request of Nielson and apologized for the reference, but the damage was already done.

To see the Mighty O, so powerful and impenetrable over the decades, stoop to such levels was surprisingly out of character, but it reminds us of the fragile egos that plague so many celebrities no matter how much success they achieve [[and nobody has achieved more than Oprah.) In fact, it's often that deep-rooted insecurity that propels them to such greatness in the first place.

Having spent decades as the one to beat, Oprah is now having her butt kicked and she doesn't like it one little bit.

There's also a strong chance she's suffering from some major withdrawal symptoms after being in millions of living rooms day in and day out. Winfrey was the centre of attention under those bright lights, the ultimate star of her program, not to mention famous for interrupting guests to share her own personal anecdotes.

The itch to reclaim the spotlight will eventually prove unbearable, if it hasn't already. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Winfrey may have already found a remedy in the form of "The Butler," a film by "Precious" director Lee Daniels. She's reportedly in talks to play the wife of a black butler who works in the White House, based on the true story of Eugene Allen, who served eight presidents.

Oprah deserves a world of credit for devoting such a large part of her life to philanthropic endeavours but just as she's feeding the poor, she's also feeding her ego. Wouldn't an Oscar be the ultimate feast?

1. After she became "Oprah" instead of "Oprah Winfrey", shes been insufferable. She lost the appeal she had to a lot of average Americans [[especially men) and seemed to have no humility whatsoever. I hope she continues her philanthropic efforts now that she's not in front of cameras to tell us all about them. I respect and admire her for succeeding, but I don't think I'd appreciate being seated across the table from her at a buffet.
    2. Twitter is a godsend. It is the absolute bane of celebrity where all of the work performed by handlers and image consultants can be undone with a simple errant tweet. I'd have loved to read the tweets that many aged and/or deceased celebrities would have put on the net.

Well, she put all that money into a network that is struggling. Of course she wants viewers! Wouldn't you?

She did a daily syndicated talk show for 25 years! I can see how she got used to that grind even though she got tired of it.

Back when she started out, in every episode, she bashed men. That went on for what...two years before she finally understood that she was offending half the country, and inadvertently, taught women to also hate men. She apologized for it and stopped , but the damage had been done to her potential male audiences. Suddenly, everywhere you looked, women were bashing men. T-shirts, posters, jokes... I think she explained that it was because perhaps she had never really dealt with being raped and treated like garbage in earlier news jobs in smaller markets.

Next, she decided to take the high and mighty road when she bashed Phil Donahue, the man who invented the daytime TV talk show. By then, she had every American woman eating out of her hand. Bash men, act like a snob...sounds like a perfect way to get to the top. I honestly don't think she understood her power over people. Then she started telling people what books they ought to read, what films were superior, who to vote for...at that point, I can't really blame her. I would have to blame the mindless women who hang on her every word. If Oprah says it's bad, it's bad. If she says it's good, it's, good. Talk about the pied piper! At least she redeemed herself by giving back.

My main thing about Oprah is that, as a man, there isn't much there for me. I have no reason to watch her show, or watch her network, read her magazine, because it's all geared towards women. It's all estrogen!

I respect that she's the wealthiest Black woman in the world, and quite possibly the wealthiest Black person in the world. It's just not so cool with how she got there.

Just MY opinion and the way I see it.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-19-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: clarity, added thoughts

I gave up on old girl when she had a show about new age religions. People professed to believing in angels and crystals and everything imaginable. When one woman stood up and said that her belief was that Jesus is the way and the light, Oprah lit into her saying that it was short-sighted and naive for her to believe there is only one way to salvation. Without weighing on the merits of who's right or wrong, I was amazed that she let everybody on the panel espouse a belief but slammed someone in the audience for doing the same thing. That was in the mid-90's and I never watched another episode of her show.

The only Oprah shows I've ever seen were the ones my sister taped for me when Diana Ross was on.

I've seen clips and heard Oprah talk and it does come across as just a little bit too good, too appreciative and somewhat fake. But after 25 years, you get kind of big headed and lost.

But it doesn't matter who you are............entertainer, politician, whatever............people get tired after while. The closest the world has ever come to a lifetime celebrity is Queen Elizabeth II and that's just because she keeps her mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I gave up on old girl when she had a show about new age religions. People professed to believing in angels and crystals and everything imaginable. When one woman stood up and said that her belief was that Jesus is the way and the light, Oprah lit into her saying that it was short-sighted and naive for her to believe there is only one way to salvation. Without weighing on the merits of who's right or wrong, I was amazed that she let everybody on the panel espouse a belief but slammed someone in the audience for doing the same thing. That was in the mid-90's and I never watched another episode of her show.
    Perhaps it's because she's had it with christians pushing the idea that what they believe in is the only way.

I don't believe in all that new age stuff, but I don't see the new-agers telling everyone that it's their way or the highway like I see christians do.

I am sorry if I am angering the christians on this forum, but that is what I see. I used to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Perhaps it's because she's had it with christians pushing the idea that what they believe in is the only way.

I don't believe in all that new age stuff, but I don't see the new-agers telling everyone that it's their way or the highway like I see christians do.

I am sorry if I am angering the christians on this forum, but that is what I see. I used to be one.
    I hope you didn't anger anyone; I still am a Christian and I have many problems with religions of all types, so you certainly didn't anger me. My only problem with the show that I referenced was that she was asking others to listen and respect the beliefs of the folks on stage and she then [[in my opinion) called someone naive to believe in a different manner. I didn't think criticism of any of the panel or audience was appropriate for the conversation.

smark21 Guest
    I doubt she's desparate to be back on top, but I suspect she's a bit surprised that people moved on to other programs after her show left the air and that most of her viewers are not watching her cable channel. Johnny Carson was able to move on to the next stage of his life when he stepped down from The Tonight Show, it doesn't look like Oprah is ready to live outside the spotlight. By giving up her show, she gave people a chance to forget about her, or at least put her on the backburner.

As for her ego, yes, I think she's a megalomaniac. I remember a few years ago she raised a big ruckus when she wasn't allowed to shop Hermes Paris after the store had closed. She said it was the worst thing that ever happened to her in her life. But wasn't she abused as a child? As embarrassing and angering as the Hermes incident may have been, it should not be considered worse than being abused. To me, it showed that Oprah's ego and narcissisim had spun out of control.

She appears to have a big ego when you see her in TV clips, so megalomaniac might be fair. But I'm not sure how she'd shop other than when the store was closed. People like her are chased beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I doubt she's desparate to be back on top, but I suspect she's a bit surprised that people moved on to other programs after her show left the air and that most of her viewers are not watching her cable channel. Johnny Carson was able to move on to the next stage of his life when he stepped down from The Tonight Show, it doesn't look like Oprah is ready to live outside the spotlight. By giving up her show, she gave people a chance to forget about her, or at least put her on the backburner.

As for her ego, yes, I think she's a megalomaniac. I remember a few years ago she raised a big ruckus when she wasn't allowed to shop Hermes Paris after the store had closed. She said it was the worst thing that ever happened to her in her life. But wasn't she abused as a child? As embarrassing and angering as the Hermes incident may have been, it should not be considered worse than being abused. To me, it showed that Oprah's ego and narcissisim had spun out of control.
    That is not what happened [[the Hermes Store incident). They would not let her in because she was black and were calling the police because she would not leave the front of the store. She was not all made up so they did not know she was "Oprah Winfrey". That's what happened . She was suppose to raise a big ruckus over being discriminated against.

Regarding Johnny Carson, he sure did move on to the next stage. After his show went off the air [[I watched it that night) the next time most of the public heard about him again was when died!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is not what happened [[the Hermes Store incident). They would not let her in because she was black and were calling the police because she would not leave the front of the store. She was not all made up so they did not know she was "Oprah Winfrey". That's what happened . She was suppose to raise a big ruckus over being discriminated against.

Regarding Johnny Carson, he sure did move on to the next stage. After his show went off the air [[I watched it that night) the next time most of the public heard about him again was when died!
    Sort of like Arsenio Hall and Keenan Ivory Wayans.

Wait... They're not dead?!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post

Johnny Carson was a control freak with an ego the size of Mount Everest. That said, he ended The Tonight Show on his own terms and spent the next 12 years enjoying a very private life in Malibu, California.

It will be very interesting to see what the Houston interview does for Oprah and her Network.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what the Houston interview does for Oprah and her Network.
    Huge ratings...lol!!

I think you've got to be right about that.

And you have to admit, Oprah is both smart and opportunistic.

I'm still not sure about the ethics and morals of Oprah for doing this, the Houston family if they have any sway with the daughter, or Bobbi for doing this so quickly.

It seems very strange to me.

To me it's Oprah making a business decision where she figured everybody would win. The Houston family could tell the story the way they wanted it told and she would get ratings.

As for her big ego, who WOULDN'T have a big ego after all of the success she's had? I can't believe any human being is that great that could maintain humility, because we are all HUMAN.