[REMOVE ADS]

Americans feel love for Canada, Gallup survey finds

Americans feel love for Canada, Gallup survey finds

Canada gets highest rating of any country since poll began two decades ago

The Canadian Press Posted: Feb 16, 2012 8:52 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 17, 2012 3:52 PM ET
    Buffalo's Peace Bridge could become a pilot pre-inspection centre in the recently announced Beyond The Border initiatives. [[David Duprey/Associated Press)

Hey, Canada: Americans like us. They really, really like us. In fact, they like us better than anyone, anywhere on the planet.

Nearly all Americans, a full 96 per cent, have a favourable view of Canada, according to a new Gallup survey. That's the loftiest ranking for any foreign country since Gallup began the poll two decades ago.

America's neighbour to the north has long been the darling of the survey.

"Canada's 93 per cent ratings in 1987 and 1989 were the previous high favourable for any country," the pollster said in a release.

This year's love-in comes despite the Obama administration's recent decision to reject Calgary-based TransCanada's Keystone XL pipeline, and amid a spate of lower-profile trade irritants between the two nations.

The poll was released just hours after Canada's environment minister, Peter Kent, appeared alongside Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to announce Canada was joining a U.S.-led effort to combat global warming.

Canada has been a subject of conversation on Capitol Hill this week as well. New York state lawmakers urged Janet Napolitano, the homeland security secretary, to consider Buffalo's Peace Bridge as a pilot pre-inspection centre in the recently announced Beyond The Border initiatives.

"That's a very, very important border crossing at the Peace Bridge for commerce, for our shared communities in the United States and Canada," Democratic congressman Brian Higgins told her.

With so much attention stateside, how could anyone have expected to compete against us in the Gallup survey? Australia, however, also ranks high, right behind us in second place at 93 per cent. Great Britain is in third at 90 per cent.

Iran, meantime, ranks last at 10 per cent. North Korea is in second last at 13 per cent and Afghanistan rounds out the bottom three at 14 per cent. China's ratings are also continuing a downward spiral evident in the last few surveys.

Indeed, the countries with the lowest ratings are overwhelmingly located in the Middle East or Asia.

The rank of Cuba, a country that has fared poorly in the Gallup survey in the past, is rising. It's at 37 per cent, up seven per cent from 2011's rating. Only 10 per cent gave Cuba the thumb's up in 1996, its worst year.

Well, any country that gave us The Paupers, The Stampeders and Ferguson Jenkins can't be all bad, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Well, any country that gave us The Paupers, The Stampeders and Ferguson Jenkins can't be all bad, can it?
    What about the Guess Who? hehehehehehe......! I love Canada period!

Hey canada's cool with me,oh and by the way wasn't[bobby taylor and the vancouvers]from up north?

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Hey canada's cool with me,oh and by the way wasn't[bobby taylor and the vancouvers]from up north?
    Yes they were and Rick James got his start in Toronto!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  21.1 KB
    Look at the top 3 "foreign" nations. They all speak English. Americans are notorious for not being willing to learn other peoples' languages. They also like antiseptic cleanliness, and their affection for that and not wanting fruit and vegetables to be bruised in shipping has made their food almost tasteless. They don't like different smells. Any observation of the large bulk of US tourists and Bible Belters would show us that Americans like what they have been used to in growing up in USA. So, naturally, they'd like the foreign countries that are most like "The Good Ol' USA.

In Australia and Britain, the people speak English, albeit a "funny [[and not so intelligible brand of it" [[at least as most Americans are concerned). Therefore, Canada is the nation most like USA [[and, therefore, Americans like Canada best).

Do they like us because we are much more social justice and social welfare-oriented than they?-NO! Do they like us because we are more concerned with education than they?-NO! Do they like us because we are much more environmentally concerned than they?- NO! They like us because we, despite our differences [[a few million Frenchies), are the easiest for them to tolerate.

I am not favourably impressed by such a distinction. I hope you from south of the border are not offended by my feelings on this subject. Let me assure you that I realise that not all people in USA fit my description-but I'd dare say that more do than don't.

Nevertheless, it is clear that Canada and USA should be good neighbours and good friends [[and I hope my rant won't hurt the chances for that) . Look! I even used a smilie for the first time!

Not offended at all, robb k, thanks for expressing your true feelings. I've only been to Canada once but I was a baby
    then and so I can't remember it but I'm very grateful for Oscar Peterson [[RIP), Jeri Brown, Terez Malcom and Molly Johnson!...

I know Canada can claim quite a few singers/musicians.....but, can they claim any 'girl groups'?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 340
    look at the top 3 "foreign" nations. They all speak english. Americans are notorious for not being willing to learn other peoples' languages. They also like antiseptic cleanliness, and their affection for that and not wanting fruit and vegetables to be bruised in shipping has made their food almost tasteless. They don't like different smells. Any observation of the large bulk of us tourists and bible belters would show us that americans like what they have been used to in growing up in usa. So, naturally, they'd like the foreign countries that are most like "the good ol' usa.

In australia and britain, the people speak english, albeit a "funny [[and not so intelligible brand of it" [[at least as most americans are concerned). Therefore, canada is the nation most like usa [[and, therefore, americans like canada best).

Do they like us because we are much more social justice and social welfare-oriented than they?-no! Do they like us because we are more concerned with education than they?-no! Do they like us because we are much more environmentally concerned than they?- no! They like us because we, despite our differences [[a few million frenchies), are the easiest for them to tolerate.

I am not favourably impressed by such a distinction. I hope you from south of the border are not offended by my feelings on this subject. Let me assure you that i realise that not all people in usa fit my description-but i'd dare say that more do than don't.

Nevertheless, it is clear that canada and usa should be good neighbours and good friends [[and i hope my rant won't hurt the chances for that) . Look! I even used a smilie for the first time!
    good points robb,and maybe there's another reason we like ya'll...we can't bully you[back in 1812 we tried to invade and take over and that didn't work out so well]hehe!!

Jann Arden redid "Bring the Boys Home" and did a good version; that's about as close as we get to a girl group, I think; and Jann would be pissed by the suggestion.

Good post Robb. And there are some huge distinctions between Canada and the USA ~ some that some of those populations that Robb mentions in the USA would not like.

For example:

1. Gun ownership in Canada isn't seen as necessary, a God given right etc. Often gun ownership here means you are a drug dealer, in a gang or you are a farmer or a hunter.

2. Medicare is a long standing, cherished and sacred right in Canada which we would never give up; we feel bad for Americans over what they don't have; although, we might run down there the odd time if we need a quick operation and have the money.

3. Our state does not kill it's own people, no matter what they've done; although we are not displeased if another gang takes care of their own or if another prisoner takes matters into their own hands.

4. We allow gay marriage and it is of no more significance than any other marriage; and it is not going away either. It is just another basic human right here.

5. We can't save the world so we don't regularly go to war and so we say "no" to ill conceived wars - Iraq for example.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Jann Arden redid "Bring the Boys Home" and did a good version; that's about as close as we get to a girl group, I think; and Jann would be pissed by the suggestion.
Views: 308
    There were a few Canadian girls groups in the 1960s. The Tiaras, from Toronto were one I can remember, offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I know Canada can claim quite a few singers/musicians.....but, can they claim any 'girl groups'?
    hehehehehehhe......

We had a very great thread about Canadian music and artist in the old forum. I am going to look for it and post the link here.

I like Canada because I grew up near there. The people are super nice, it is spectacularly CLEAN and they know how to really party! LOL!

Here it is. We had a very good, detailed discussion of Canada's music contributions:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/6087/210901.html?1276836031

Views: 270
    Here are some more Canadian girls groups[[mostly Quebecois):
    Les Groupes Filles de Jeunesse:
    including Les Beatlettes, Les Coquettes, Les Milady's, Les
    Intrigantes, Les Ingénues, Del Campo Twins, Les Planètes, Les
    Minous Blancs, Les Québécoises, Les Bises, The Five Bells [[Belles)

Thanks Rob. Well, never heard of any of them. Seeing they're mostly French Canadian and I'm assuming sang in French, they didn't make their way into the states....or did they? Very interesting. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here it is. We had a very good, detailed discussion of Canada's music contributions:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/6087/210901.html?1276836031
    Wow....had no idea Brenda Russell was Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Wow....had no idea Brenda Russell was Canadian.
    Yeppers! Born in New York but grew up in Hamilton, Ontario. When I was a teenager, she and her then husband Brian Russell hosted a weekly music variety show on the CBC. Can't remember the name of it now.

Robb, any chance at all you remember or know the name of a popular local TV dance show out of Montreal from the 60's or 70's? I saw a clip once during an anniversary celebration for a local Montreal TV station. I think it was for Channel 12 CFCF.

Hey robb i think the[canadian football league]is cool too,back in the day i watched alot of games that were shown here!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Hey robb i think the[canadian football league]is cool too,back in the day i watched alot of games that were shown here!
Views: 242
    Being from Winnipeg, I was [[and still am) a big Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan. But, I'll bet you didn't know that The Canadian Football League used to be known as The Canadian Rugby League [[up until 1946).

I think the Five Bells and The Tiaras sang in English. The Del Campo Twins sang in both languages. All the other groups I listed sang in French. Then, of course, I didn't mention The McGonnigal Sisters. Canada didn't develop many girls' groups in the '60s because so many of the best and most successful US groups toured there [[especially throughout Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia. That included virtually all the Motown acts [[at least in Ontario), and a lot of the New York and Boston acts.

Robb, your musical knowledge is incredible; you are a walking enclopedia of musical knowledge; and a great Canadian.

Views: 256
    Robb, any chance at all you remember or know the name of a popular local TV dance show out of Montreal from the 60's or 70's? I saw a clip once during an anniversary celebration for a local Montreal TV station. I think it was for Channel 12 CFCF.
    Do you mean "Feel Like Dancin' "? That was a 1970s show out of Montréal. Ian Finley was the host.

Views: 313
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Robb, your musical knowledge is incredible; you are a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge; and a great Canadian.
    Hey Rob,
    Any chance I'll get into the latest version of "Colombo's Canadian References"? Perhaps as an R&B/Soul/Blues/Gospel record collector, Disney artist, - or maybe just as Soulful Detroit Forum's second highest post count poster?

It's a cinch I won't get in for my bantam/midget/junior hockey career!

Sure, we'll nominate you for all of that!

Hey robb,i would nominate you for a[golden turkey award]but you're too darned talented!!

Views: 256

Do you mean "Feel Like Dancin' "? That was a 1970s show out of Montréal. Ian Finley was the host.
    I believe that is the one! They had an earlier one also back in the 60's. Thank you Robb!

I believe that is the one! They had an earlier one also back in the 60's. Thank you Robb!
Views: 250
    The 1960s local dance show in Montréal was called "Like Young". It was first hosted by Jim McKenna.
    That must have been the one to which you were referring.

I was wrong when claiming to be the 2nd highest poster on SDF. Juicefree has over 15,000, and Miss M has over 12,000. So, I may or may not be third, but at 3rd at best, I'm clearly not going to get into Colombo's [[at least in THAT category)!

Views: 250
    The 1960s local dance show in Montréal was called "Like Young". It was first hosted by Jim McKenna.
    That must have been the one to which you were referring.

I was wrong when claiming to be the 2nd highest poster on SDF. Juicefree has over 15,000, and Miss M has over 12,000. So, I may or may not be third, but at 3rd at best, I'm clearly not going to get into Colombo's [[at least in THAT category)!
    You are something else! That is exactly the one I was thinking of! Last year CFCF Channel 12 in Montreal had it's 50th Anniversary and they showed all these clips of programs they aired over the years and "Like Young" was one of them! It was in black and white of course but it looked like a great local dance party show. Did you ever see it? I mean when it was on the air?

I saw a few episodes of "Like Young". I don't remember if it was syndicated, and shown by a local Winnipeg channel[[CTV hadn't started up yet), or if I just saw it while visiting family in Toronto or Montréal. But, I was already relocated in Chicago during all but the earliest part of "Like Young's" run, and didn't watch it regularly in any case [[I had almost no time for TV with hockey games and practices, working in my father's store and school homework [[and practicing on our backyard rink [[hockey was my life!)). I do remember one show featuring Ben E. King.

It started in 1962, and lasted well into about 1974. I was in Chicago a lot more already by 1962, than in Winnipeg. I just returned to Canada for much of summers, spring vacation and Christmas vacation. So, I don't know when it ended. It aired LIVE in Montréal from 6:00 to 7:00 PM every Saturday. I assume it was shown taped in other parts of Canada. It was the very first Canadian TV show syndicated in USA. I don't remember when it aired in Toronto or Winnipeg.
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-24-2012 at 12:55 AM.

I saw a few episodes of "Like Young". I don't remember if it was syndicated, and shown by a local Winnipeg channel[[CTV hadn't started up yet), or if I just saw it while visiting family in Toronto or Montréal. But, I was already relocated in Chicago during all but the earliest part of "Like Young's" run, and didn't watch it regularly in any case [[I had almost no time for TV with hockey games and practices, working in my father's store and school homework [[and practicing on our backyard rink [[hockey was my life!)). I do remember a show featuring Ben E. King.

It started in 1961, and lasted well into the '60s. I was in Chicago a lot more by 1962, than in Winnipeg. So, I don't know when it ended.
    Thank you very much first for responding and also for sharing what you do recall of the show. I am becoming more and more interested in vintage local and regional television these days. It's almost like my record collecting days back in the 80's. I hope someday they put clips of some of these shows up on the internet. I did stumble upon a similar type show from out of Winnipeg. It was an anniversary type tv special for a local Winnipeg TV dance show. If I find it again, I will post it in this thread. Thanks Robb.

Marv

robb,jobeterob,anyone!
    what was the name of the 60's canadian childrens tv series that featured a wooden stockade/fort.each week a bunch of kids would try and solve crimes.one of the kid's brother was a policeman.we used to get it over here early/mid 60's ish.it was one of the few canadian imported progs we've had.

while i have your attention what was the australian tv series with "tintown" another stockade like place,this time made from corrugated iron with crime solving kids lurking!same makers [[i think) of the magic boomerang same period early/mid 60's

btw,i'd be interested to see which country that americans would most like to visit.

Hey Robb, this is another program I mentioned that was from Winnipeg called "Teen Dance Party":

I love Canadians! I once met this hot little French/Canadian chick from Montreal in Las Vegas a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I love Canadians! I once met this hot little French/Canadian chick from Montreal in Las Vegas a few years ago.
    Soulster then you really need to check Montreal out! They have them in abundance there, hehehehehehe! It is an amazing town and the women are very fine!

Thank you very much first for responding and also for sharing what you do recall of the show. I am becoming more and more interested in vintage local and regional television these days. It's almost like my record collecting days back in the 80's. I hope someday they put clips of some of these shows up on the internet. I did stumble upon a similar type show from out of Winnipeg. It was an anniversary type tv special for a local Winnipeg TV dance show. If I find it again, I will post it in this thread. Thanks Robb.

Marv
Views: 243
    Yes, I remember "Teen Dance Party". It was aired on Saturdays from 1961-1968. I was still in Winnipeg when it started. But back in 1961-62, it had almost no R&B/Soul music [[even less than "Like Young") -and both had less than "American Bandstand" -"The Jerry Blavat Show", Lloyd Thaxton Show", or any of the US dance shows [[all of which had much too little for my taste)-but were, at least worth watching). Jim Lounsbury's Record Hop" out of Chicago was the best I've ever seen. It was filled with R&B/Soul acts and records played. While in Winnipeg [[to age 14), I had little to watch shows like that.
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-25-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Views: 243
    Yes, I remember "Teen Dance Party". It was aired on Saturdays from 1961-1968. I was still in Winnipeg when it started. But back in 1961-62, it had almost no R&B/Soul music [[even less than "Like Young") -and both had less than "American Bandstand" -"The Jerry Blavat Show", Lloyd Thaxton Show", or any of the US dance shows [[all of which had much too little for my taste)-but were, at least worth watching). Jim Lounsbury's Record Hop" out of Chicago was the best I've ever seen. It was filled with R&B/Soul acts and records played. While in Winnipeg [[to age 14), I had little to watch shows like that.
    Robb, sorry to hear that they did not have much R&B, Soul music on the program at the beginning. Did it gradually change? I noticed in this reunion clip they played "Baby Love". The other shows you mentioned were located in large Urban Markets, i.e. Chicago, L.A. and Philly, so I would expect them to play more soul and book more soul artists just based on their locations.

Robb, sorry to hear that they did not have much R&B, Soul music on the program at the beginning. Did it gradually change? I noticed in this reunion clip they played "Baby Love". The other shows you mentioned were located in large Urban Markets, i.e. Chicago, L.A. and Philly, so I would expect them to play more soul and book more soul artists just based on their locations.
Views: 251
    Yes, theydidn't really have very much R&B/early Soul on Winnipeg radio or Teen Dance Party until 1964, when Motown started breaking through. Winnipeg had a strong tradition of Country/Western music, and a LOT less influence from USA. And don't forget that Ontario and The Maritime provinces had Black communities originally formed from immigration from ex-slaves from USA, and [[at least in Ontario) augmented by immigration of West Indians. In addition, Southern Ontario was so close to Detroit, that they always had a lot of songs breaking on radio from Motown, as well as a lot of personal appearances from Motown artists [[as well as those of other Michiganders, Ohioans, and acts from
    Western Pennsylvania and Upstate New York.

I dont know the Canadian TV shows being mentioned; all I can remember is Razzle Dazzle and The Friendly Giant, LOL [[he was the guy that used to introduce Jerome the Giraffe, and then say "and I'll call Rusty"......who was a chicken or rooster.

I understand what Robb is saying; there was a huge Country and Western bias in Canada; I remember being very pissed when I realized from Billboard that Country Music was outselling R & B, even in the USA.

But a point Robb is making is that it was Motown, the Supremes and in particular that huge pizzazz and style that Diana Ross possessed, that blew the R & B market open in Canada and Britain and popularized it to the masses in the USA. After them came huge popularity for the Tempts, and Aretha, and James Brown and a slew of others.

And if you have to peg one song that did it, it was Baby Love. I'm as tired of it now as anyone [[other than the opening "Oooh"..........but that is the song that did it.