[REMOVE ADS]

Question on Cissy Houston record...

She did make some pop records and she did a recording called Be My Baby. Does anyone know if
    this is the Ronettes' song? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    She did make some pop records and she did a recording called Be My Baby. Does anyone know if
    this is the Ronettes' song? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet.
    Yes it is, according to the MCPS/PRS website, since the composer credits are listed as Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector.

And she also did original Midnight train to Ga as Midnight plane to Houston!

Thanks, guys!!! Luke, are you serious? I can see where there is a youtube video of her doing Midnight Train to GA.

Randy, it's true. I first learned about here on this forum. It was on youtube.

I have the album, issued in the UK on the Major Minor label that has 'Be my baby'. It has a few interesting tracks, but for me the standout is her version of 'I just don't know what to do with myself', which becomes a blistering uptempo workout, with Cissy really blasting out in a gospel style. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuvLR_ZZyak

Here is a video of Cissy performing "Be My Baby"

Her album was released on C.U.R. -- Commonwealth United Records [[a very short lived label). After the label collapsed, Janus licensed it & put it out again [[along with some 45's lifted from the LP).
    "I'll Be There" charted [[US R&B) on CUR in June 70, with "Be My Baby" charting for Janus in March 71.
    Her next chart entry was with Herbie Mann on "Cajun Moon" in 76 [[Atlantic).
    3 more of her 45's [[out on Private Stock Records) made the charts before the end of the 70's.

Be My Baby is on the CD - Cissy Houston, Midnight Train To Georgia: The Janus Years. It's pricey but available on Amazon.Com.

Cissy Houston was part of the group "The Sweet Inspirations" ,who sang background behind Aretha Franklin. She also had a hit 12' in 1978 ,"Think It Over" ,on the Private Stock" label , produced by Michael Zager.

Thanks for posting the Be My Baby video. Can you give the link? I want to share it with the Ronettes.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Thanks for posting the Be My Baby video. Can you give the link? I want to share it with the Ronettes.
    Dang! My work is never done huh Randy? LOL!

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk_lrVVKzWc

Thanks, marv!!

Cissy was a real talent in herself, I love her material on "Cissy Houston Studio 102 Essentials" her version of "I Wish it would Rain" is a gem and then don't forget Cissy on "The Preachers Wife" Soundtrack with "The Lord is my Shepherd" may Cissy find Peace this day!

Hi!

For me Cissy has always been one of the most underrated singers ever. I think she's a far more expressive and soulful singer than her daughter, although I regard Whitney highly, too. I think I have all Whitney's recordings, and I like most of them.
    What bothers me is that at least over here after Whitney's passing, Cissy is called "a gospel singer." Of course, in the beginning - in the 30s, 40s and 50s - and later in the 90s and 00s she was involved in gospel music, but the main body of her recorded work in the 60s and 70s - either as a member of the Sweet Inspirations, or solo - was secular music, soul and a bit of disco.

Best regards
    Heikki

Don't forget her duet with Whitney: I Know Him So Well!

Yes Randy-thats what I had read. Will try to find it.