[REMOVE ADS]

Z.Z. Hill - "that ain't the way you make love"

Just found this track....sounds like it's a Lamont Dozier tune. Anybody know anything about it....if it is LD, is there an album?
    Thanks

Yes it is. Lamont wrote and produced 4 tracks on a ZZHill 1975 album on United Artists Keep On Loving You. Usual superb team, McKinley Jackson etc

Also appear on a ZZ Hill UA ANthology.

I Created A Monster, and Two sides To Every Story are very good. Two sides to every story is on YouTube, I can't post the link for you because I am on a mobile device.

It is well worth looking for it on youtube

Cheers. mike
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-15-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Interesting version of I Created A Monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ScD5Z_Yxi0

MIkEW-UK - I can't find a UA Anthology - what is the exact title?

The track was included on the C.D. "Get Involved", released by Capitol UK in 1998, compiled by RICHARD SEARLING ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Involved.../dp/B000025225

That Amazon review doesn't include the track list so here goes ..

GEORGE SOULE - "Get Involved"
    BROTHERS UNLIMITED - "Got To Get Over"
    VANESSA KENDRICK - "90% Of Me Is You"
    RANCE ALLEN - "Reason To Survive"
    GWEN McRAE - "All This Love I'm Giving"
    BOBBY BYRD - "Back From The Dead"
    THE IKETTES - "I'm Just Not Ready For Love"
    CHARLES WILLIAMS - "Standing In The way"
    CANDI STATON - "Too Hurt To Cry"
    FREDDIE TERRELL - "You Had It Made"
    MARION LOVE -"Can't Forget About You Baby"
    COREY BLAKE - "How Can I Go On Without You"
    GEORGE JACKSON - "My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me"
    100% PURE POISON - "You Keep Coming Back"
    CORNELIUS BROTHERS & SISTER ROSE - "Too Late To Turn Back Now"
    LEW KIRTON - "Something Special"
    LOVE AFFAIR - "Can't Stop Loving You"
    Z Z HILL - "Ain't That The Way You Make love"
    MARGIE ALEXANDER - "What You Trying To Do To Me"
    DONNY MANN - "Treat Me Like A Stranger".

Roger

Davie Gordon sent me those 4 tracks some years ago because I could find no compilation with them all included. Is there a CD album with all 4?

Lamont Dozier was working flat out in the mid-seventies and it was hard to keep up with him. I never bought the ZZ Hill album because there was so much going on at that time. But it interested me since "I Created A Monster" is a known title from the Motown era. Does any one remember an article [[which I think was with some musicians) and the track was mentioned because the title was an in-house joke. The joke was more about the artist it was planned for. The reader was left to wonder who that artist might be.

It is on amazon and iTunes - you can buy the tracks individually buttheentire album is good. ZZ HILL THE COMPLETE HILL UA RECORDINGS 1972 -1975

mille Jackson recorded"You Created A Monster"

Thanks for information.
    Thought I was right.....the ending of this track sounds like "Black Bach" material. LD's stuff can be similar....which suits me fine.
    I've recently received a CDr of Ben E King...and it has some tracks off California Sunset... indicating LD all over it

ZZ doesn't get the props that he should. Fantastic singer, clearly in the Johnnie Taylor mold.

Snake...Lamont Dozier wrote or co wrote & produced 6 of the 10 tracks on Ben E King's excellent 1978 album "Let Me Live In Your Life" for Atlantic.

theboyfromxtown...all four Lamont Dozier produced songs can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Hil...9335716&sr=1-6 however the CD's a bit pricey, I'm glad I bought mine for £4.00 from the local Oxfam shop a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Snake...Lamont Dozier wrote or co wrote & produced 6 of the 10 tracks on Ben E King's excellent 1978 album "Let Me Live In Your Life" for Atlantic.

theboyfromxtown...all four Lamont Dozier produced songs can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Hil...9335716&sr=1-6 however the CD's a bit pricey, I'm glad I bought mine for £4.00 from the local Oxfam shop a few years ago.
    You win some and sometimes you lose......enjoy your good fortune!

Thanks for the info lads. Is the quality of the CD good, it's not on a label I am familiar with

theboy, if you mean the ZZ HILL CD The Complete Hill, yes the quality is excellent, and it also has very good liner notes. Here are some credits, and you will recognise some familiar names; the cd was digitally remastered
    Recorded between 1972 and 1975. Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl.

The gritty singer made three albums for United Artists [[mostly under his brother Matt's supervision) from 1972 to 1975, and they were an idiomatically mixed bag. All three LPs are housed in their entirety on this two-disc set, its selections ranging from the deep soul sincerity of "I've Got to Get You Back" and "Your Love Makes Me Feel Good" and the country-soul hybrids "You're Killing Me [[Slowly But Surely)" and "Country Love" to the funky Lamont Dozier-produced "I Created a Monster" and an Allen Toussaint-supervised "I Keep on Lovin' You." ~ Bill Dahl

Digitally remastered by Kevin Reeves [[Capitol Studios).

This is part of the Capitol Blues Collection series.

Personnel: Z.Z. Hill [[vocals).

Liner Note Author: Bill Dahl.

Recording information: 1972-1975.

Illustrator: Joe Ciardiello.

Personnel includes: Arzell "Z.Z." Hill [[vocals); Ken Bell, Ray "Ghostbusters" Parker, Jr., Leo Nocentelli [[guitar); Harrison Calloway [[trumpet); Miles Grayson, Allen Toussaint [[piano); Art Neville [[keyboards); Clark Spangler [[synthesizer); Jerry Bridges, George Porter, Jr. [[bass); Roger Clark, Zigaboo Modeliste [[drums); Rhodes, Chalmers, Rhodes [[background vocals).

Producers: Matt Hill [[disc 1, tracks 1-16; disc 2, tracks 1-7, 16); Lamont Dozier [[disc 2, tracks 8-11); Allen Toussaint, Denny Diante, Spencer Proffer [[disc 2, tracks 12, 14); Allen Toussaint [[disc 2, tracks 13, 15).

JazzTimes [[10/96, p.95) - "...The Texas-born singer...combines the gritty influence of Bobby Blue Bland with the smooth stylings of Sam Cooke..."

I paid quite a lot of money for this CD as it is very scarce, but I have made it a life long mission to collect everything and anything Lamont Dozier has his stamp on. Yes, even the Simply Red tracks! [[ Actually I think Mick Hucknall is a very gifted singer / songwriter and is sorely mistreated). I also especially prize anything that Lamont did with Mckinley Jackson. Such as the Ben E King album mentioned above and the album with Aretha.

Keeping in that vein, I must mention Margie Joseph and her album" Hear the Words, Feel The Feeling". Lamont records her on a number of tracks also recorded by the Originals and himself. I refer you to Heikki's appreciation of her album on soulexpress:

http://www.soulexpress.net/margiejos...arthewords.htm

cheers Mike
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-15-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Mikew-UK

Thank you for the information.

I was also buying everything that Lamont Dozier put out and he was pretty prolific in the 70's. Not sure if all his productions are on CD.