[REMOVE ADS]

Whitney's last public appearance...i was there

I started writing a review of the event on Saturday and in the middle of it I heard the news of Whitney Houston's passing. I literally shut down and had to close out the post before completing it.

I flew to LA last Thursday to photograph the red carpet and actual event of "Kelly Price & Friends: For The Love of R & B" pre-Grammy event for Radio-One. There was a small sidewalk shared by about 40 people from the media. Many celebrities walked the red carpet including Brain McKnight & sons, Faith Evans, El DeBarge [[who did not look so well to me, in fact I said a little prayer for him when I saw him), Anthony Hamilton, Nikki Gilbert of Brownstone, Kenny Lattimore [[wonder where was Chante' Moore), Ledisi, KeKe Wyatt [[who was gorgeous and 7 months pregnant), NeNe Leaks, Tocarra from America's Next Top Model , Stacey Francis of X Factor, Keke Wyatt, Michelle' , actor Jensen Atwood and a few other singers and reality tv stars. The writer from Radio-One was interviewing Andrea formerly of the gospel group Trinitee 5:7 when Whitney Houston, her daughter Bobbi Kristina and an entourage of about 4 people whisked through. She smiled and waved but did not take time to speak with the media.

Even though I had all of my media credentials, getting in was more than a notion. After dealing with disrespectful security and irate people on the front door I was FINALLY able to get in. It was packed to capacity and I was stuck in the back unable to get closer but thank God for a zoom lens. I guess the media credentials didn't mean a lot in there. Also, it was extremely hot in the room. Kenny Lattimore and faith Evans were the hosts. Faith eloquently declared that though they don't get the credit or airplay that they deserve, there are some bad M%$#^# F&@!&%$ in the room. She repeated that about 4 times. What a F#$@!N lady! I missed some of the earlier performances but was able to catch Kenny Lattimore singing "For You"; Faith Evans doing an incomplete version of "Mesmerized"; Michele' sang her butt off on her classic "Something In My Heart" but her helium speaking voice, I could only take so much. I didn't realize that Keke Wyatt was such a powerful vocalist. Her rendition of "Love Under New Management" was great. Terrell Carter over sang "Ribbon In the Sky". My claustrophobia began to get the best of me and the heat in the room was a lot. I got enough pics and decided to go outside for air. Unfortunately I did not get to see Kelly Price & Whitney on stage.

I noticed some photographers hanging around the back of the building and I decided to go around there too. There was also a black SUV sitting there. A few minutes later the door whisked open and out came Whitney Houston and entourage. The paparazzi flashed away and Whitney yelled STOP!!! I was like uh, uh, she's about to go off on all of us but instead, she began to pose, she hugged one young man and autographed another man's two albums and jumped in the SUV.

The next morning I edited the photos in my hotel room and caught a flight home. I never dreamed that less than 48 hours she'd be gone. Still saddened.

Once Radio-One publish the images I will post some of the extras here.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by glencro; 02-14-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Great review Glencro! I wished I could have been there. The clip I saw of Whitney and Kelly singing was ok but hard to hear because of the crowd. Yeah, something is up with El. I hope he is cool and dealing with Whitney's loss the right way is all I'll say. She seemed very surprised and happy to see him that night from the video I saw.

Hard to believe that it has been a year.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Hard to believe that it has been a year.
    I can't believe it still.