[REMOVE ADS]

Whitney Houston estate value set to soar

WORLD NEWS

Whitney Houston estate value set to soar

13/02/2012 3:08:04 PM

CBC News
    Within hours of her untimely death, Whitney Houston was fast on her way to becoming a hot commodity, joining the ranks of other famous artists who have achieved the dubious distinction of great commercial success beyond the grave.

Houston's most famous song, I Will Always Love You, was the most downloaded single on iTunes the day after her death, sales spurred by fans such as the one who blogged that the Queen of Pop sang "the soundtrack to my life."

The demand for her singles and albums will only continue to soar in the days and weeks ahead, Theo Peridis, a professor of strategic management at York University, told CBC News in a phone interview Monday.

"It's a very predictable pattern that happens with all famous artists. They become valuable commodities. If they were shares, you would see Bay Street buying them up," said Peridis.

"Fundamentally, it's the realization that it's the end of the artist's productivity, that they won't produce anything more, that sparks the buying frenzy."

Houston, 48, was found dead of unknown causes in a bathtub at the Beverly Hills Hilton on Saturday afternoon on the eve of the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles.

At the height of her career, from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, Houston had seven straight No.1 hit singles, making her one of the bestselling artists in the world.

She was a crossover artist who was also successful in movies, starring in The Bodyguard and Waiting to Exhale. With her roots in gospel music, Houston was considered the music industry's golden girl who never relied on overt sexuality in her concerts.

But in the last decade, Houston struggled with drug and alcohol addictions and a tumultuous split from rapper Bobby Brown. It's not clear whether drugs contributed to her untimely death. A coroner's report on the cause of death likely won't be available for weeks.

Loyal fan base with emotional link

Houston was no longer at the height of her fame when she died, nor did she have a cult following like that of Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley, said Peridis.

"Even though Whitney tried to make a comeback, it was disastrous. But she still has a huge loyal fan base that remember that great voice," he said. "So there is an emotional factor where everybody starts talking about what her music meant to them."

There is also a large market of collectors who buy an artist's work based solely on future saleability, Peridis said.

Although Houston's estate will swell from residual profits, it's the folks who own the rights to her work - record producers and movie studios who will re-release her CDs and DVDs - that stand to gain the most from her death, said Peridis.

Houston may be in line to make Forbes magazine's annual list of top-earning dead celebrities this year.

"The 15 people on our list earned a combined $366 million between October 2010 and October 2011, which just goes to show that death is not the end when it comes to celebrities," wrote Dorothy Pomerantz, a Forbes staff writer.

A new way for dead pop stars to earn big is a Cirque Du Soleil show featuring their music, she adds, with three of the top five on Forbes' 2011 list launching them: Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour; Viva Elvis; and the Beatles Love.

Forbes' top five earners in 2011 include three who have been dead for decades:

- Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, who died at age 50 in 2009 of an overdose, made $170 million, largely from sales of his music generated by his own publishing company, Mijac Music and his stake in the Sony/ATV catalog.

- The King of Rock n' Roll, Elvis Presley, took in $55 million with revenues from Graceland admissions, as well as licensing and merchandizing. Elvis died in 1977 at age 42 of a heart attack.

- Marilyn Monroe raked in $27 million. The 36-year-old actress died of an overdose in 1962. Authentic Brands Group bought the rights to Monroe's estate last year. The company has used her image in an ad for J'Adore fragrance with Charlize Theron and is planning to launch Marilyn Monroe cafés.

- Cartoonist Charles Schulz, who died of cancer at age 77 in 2000, made $25 million. His famous Peanuts cartoon characters generate income from their 1,200 licensing agreements with Met-Life, Warner Home Video, ABC and Hallmark. A further boost in revenue is expected from the characters' move to the digital space.

- John Lennon made $12 million. The former Beatles singer was gunned down in December 1980 at age 40. The Beatles sold 1.6 million albums on iTunes in 2010, 10th highest of any musical act. The Lennon estate also earns royalties from licensing deals with Cisco and Mont Blanc.

I've just come back from a meeting wit the OCC [[Official Chart Company), the body responsible for compiling the charts here in the UK. They report that Whitney has 27 [[yes, twenty seven!) tracks due to enter the charts on Sunday! That is the Top 200, but it will be interesting to see how many make the Top 75 - I reckon ten.

Here's the full ist, together with their respective midweek placings:

The untimely passing of Whitney Houston makes its first impact on the Official Charts today as 27 singles and three albums of the late icon re-enter the Official Singles Chart and Official Albums Chart Top 200s.
    Following the tragic death of Whitney on Saturday evening, aged 48, fans of the pop legend have been paying tribute to her by purchasing a vast array of her hit singles and albums. Early figures, counting sales from Sunday through to midnight on Monday [[February 13), show that no less than 27 Whitney singles are on course to re-enter the Official Singles Chart Top 200 this weekend, of which, seven are heading for the Top 40.
    Whitney’s smash hit cover of Dolly Parton’s I Will Always Love You - which spent 10 weeks at Number 1 upon its release 20 years ago this year, and went on to become the biggest selling single of 1992 - leads the way in today’s reports, entering at Number 10. 1987’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody is next in line at Number 13, with One Moment In Time [[25), My Love Is Your Love [[28), I Have Nothing [[30), Saving All My Love For You [[37), and How Will I Know [[38) completing the Top 40.
    Whitney’s The Greatest Hits [[6), leads the way in terms of the singer’s re-entries on the Official Albums Chart, according to today’s initial sales flash. The Essential Whitney Houston [[59) and 1998’s My Love Is Your Love [[107) follow in the Official Albums Chart Top 200.
    The Official Charts Company managing director, Martin Talbot, comments, “The tragic death of Whitney Houston came as a shock to her friends, colleagues and music fans across the world. Again, the British public is demonstrating its love of Whitney, just as it did for Amy Winehouse last year and Michael Jackson in 2009 – and the Official Charts will reflect that this weekend and, no doubt, in the coming weeks.”
    Tomorrow’s Official Chart Update [[4pm) will provide a glimpse at the midweek situation, with the final tally to be confirmed on Sunday at 7pm.
    The full list of Whitney Houston tracks on course to re-enter the Official Singles Chart Top 200 are as follows:
    WHITNEY HOUSTON TRACKS ON COURSE TO RE-ENTER THE OFFICIAL SINGLES CHART TOP 200
    10 I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
    13 I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY
    25 ONE MOMENT IN TIME
    28 MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE
    30 I HAVE NOTHING
    37 SAVING ALL MY LOVE FOR YOU
    38 HOW WILL I KNOW
    42 THE GREATEST LOVE OF ALL
    45 MILLION DOLLAR BILL
    48 IT'S NOT RIGHT BUT IT'S OKAY
    52 RUN TO YOU
    57 WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO
    61 DIDN'T WE ALMOST HAVE IT ALL
    74 I'M EVERY WOMAN
    79 ALL THE MAN THAT I NEED
    81 QUEEN OF THE NIGHT
    83 STEP BY STEP
    85 I LOOK TO YOU
    88 I'M YOUR BABY TONIGHT
    97 WHEN YOU BELIEVE w/ MARIAH CAREY
    98 SO EMOTIONAL
    99 ALL AT ONCE
    109 COULD I HAVE THIS KISS FOREVER w/ ENRIQUE IGLESIAS
    126 EXHALE
    128 HEARTBREAK HOTEL
    151 I LEARNED FROM THE BEST
    152 IF I TOLD YOU THAT

Glad to see All at Once on this list. I always thought that was one of her best, yet under-appreciated, songs.