[REMOVE ADS]

Celine Dion annoys people with Whitney Houston

Celine Dion annoys people with Whitney Houston commentsElizabeth Bromstein Feb 13, 2012 27 Comments

Celine Dion irritated some people this morning when she chatted with Good Morning America and alleged that drugs "took over" Whitney Houston's life.

While the cause of Houston's death is not officially known, people are widely speculating that substance abuse was a factor -- TMZ claims sources are saying she died of a combinaton of alcohol and prescription pills -- as Houston is said to have struggled for years with addiction.

Celine spoke with Robin Roberts by phone, saying first how much she was influenced by Houston before rhapsodizing at much length about the dangers of drug use and her own fear of the partying lifestyle.

"Whitney has been an amazing inspiration for me...I wanted to have a career like hers, sing like her, look beautiful like her...It's just very unfortunate that drugs and, I don't know, bad people, or bad influence, took over," Celine, 43, said.

"It took over her dreams, it took over love and motherhood. When you think about Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse -- to get into drugs like that for whatever reason, because of the stress and bad influence, what happens?...You have responsibilities as a mother, and then something happens and it destroys everything.
    "There's something that happens that I don't understand, and that's why I'm so scared. I'm scared of show business, I'm scared of drugs, I'm scared of hanging out, and that's why I don't do parties and that's why I don't hang out, and that's why I'm not part of show business. We have to be afraid."

After Roberts asked about Houston's music, Celine said "I'm sure it has helped a lot of people" and chatted for a bit about that before returning to the previous topic of drugs, saying, "it's not enough. Time after time, we lose people...Taking pills to go perform, taking pills to wake up and taking pills to go to bed...It's so unfortunate. I've always said, you have to have fun, and do music, and never be part of show business, because you don't know what it's going to get yourself into...

"How come it's stronger than all that, stronger than family and motherhood and love itself?"

CNN's Marquee Blog later reported that some took to Twitter to snark at Celine, posting messages like, "Celine Dion's comments/opinions regarding Whitney Houston were inappropriate and insensitive. Who is she to pass judgement on anyone?" and "Robin Roberts tried to save Celine Dion from herself on GMA. Alas, some disasters are too great to hold back. Buried under an avalanche ..."

Oh, leave her alone. She's just reacting to what she and many others see as a tragedy. Even if drugs didn't kill Whitney, they inarguably destroyed her career.

Other Canadian superstars have released statements or posted messages online. Among them, David Foster, who said, "There is not a word that describes my reaction. It doesn't exist in the English language. When I first worked with Whitney during "The Bodyguard" she was like a thoroughbred race horse – no tricks, no gimmicks, no warm-up – just get up to the mike and get the job done!! Better than anyone else on the planet. This was the voice that record producers dreamed of working with… I got butterflies. She was pure magic. She was iconic. I am not interested in the rumours about how she died – no one knows what it was like to walk in her shoes... I had the pleasure and privilege of having an up close and personal front row seat to the greatest of them all."

Justin Bieber tweeted, "just heard the news. so crazy. One of the GREATEST VOICES EVER just passed. RIP Whitney Houston. My prayers go out to her friends and family"

Nickelback posted the message, "Rest in Peace Whitney Houston. Thank you for the gift you gave us all

SupremeBoy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Celine Dion annoys people with Whitney Houston commentsElizabeth Bromstein Feb 13, 2012 27 Comments

Celine Dion irritated some people this morning when she chatted with Good Morning America and alleged that drugs "took over" Whitney Houston's life.

While the cause of Houston's death is not officially known, people are widely speculating that substance abuse was a factor -- TMZ claims sources are saying she died of a combinaton of alcohol and prescription pills -- as Houston is said to have struggled for years with addiction.

Celine spoke with Robin Roberts by phone, saying first how much she was influenced by Houston before rhapsodizing at much length about the dangers of drug use and her own fear of the partying lifestyle.

"Whitney has been an amazing inspiration for me...I wanted to have a career like hers, sing like her, look beautiful like her...It's just very unfortunate that drugs and, I don't know, bad people, or bad influence, took over," Celine, 43, said.

"It took over her dreams, it took over love and motherhood. When you think about Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse -- to get into drugs like that for whatever reason, because of the stress and bad influence, what happens?...You have responsibilities as a mother, and then something happens and it destroys everything.
    "There's something that happens that I don't understand, and that's why I'm so scared. I'm scared of show business, I'm scared of drugs, I'm scared of hanging out, and that's why I don't do parties and that's why I don't hang out, and that's why I'm not part of show business. We have to be afraid."

After Roberts asked about Houston's music, Celine said "I'm sure it has helped a lot of people" and chatted for a bit about that before returning to the previous topic of drugs, saying, "it's not enough. Time after time, we lose people...Taking pills to go perform, taking pills to wake up and taking pills to go to bed...It's so unfortunate. I've always said, you have to have fun, and do music, and never be part of show business, because you don't know what it's going to get yourself into...

"How come it's stronger than all that, stronger than family and motherhood and love itself?"

CNN's Marquee Blog later reported that some took to Twitter to snark at Celine, posting messages like, "Celine Dion's comments/opinions regarding Whitney Houston were inappropriate and insensitive. Who is she to pass judgement on anyone?" and "Robin Roberts tried to save Celine Dion from herself on GMA. Alas, some disasters are too great to hold back. Buried under an avalanche ..."

Oh, leave her alone. She's just reacting to what she and many others see as a tragedy. Even if drugs didn't kill Whitney, they inarguably destroyed her career.

Other Canadian superstars have released statements or posted messages online. Among them, David Foster, who said, "There is not a word that describes my reaction. It doesn't exist in the English language. When I first worked with Whitney during "The Bodyguard" she was like a thoroughbred race horse – no tricks, no gimmicks, no warm-up – just get up to the mike and get the job done!! Better than anyone else on the planet. This was the voice that record producers dreamed of working with… I got butterflies. She was pure magic. She was iconic. I am not interested in the rumours about how she died – no one knows what it was like to walk in her shoes... I had the pleasure and privilege of having an up close and personal front row seat to the greatest of them all."

Justin Bieber tweeted, "just heard the news. so crazy. One of the GREATEST VOICES EVER just passed. RIP Whitney Houston. My prayers go out to her friends and family"

Nickelback posted the message, "Rest in Peace Whitney Houston. Thank you for the gift you gave us all
    Aren't prescription pills considered drugs?

I see nothing wrong with Dion's assessment.

smark21 Guest
    She would certainly have more of an insight about the realities of the business than most of us fans.

If even one or two budding stars or impressionable fans take Celine's words to heart, then I think what she said was worthwhile.

All of you guys are right.................Celine talked the truth. She's a good lady and a straight shooter with a strong voice.

Yes, prescription pills are prescription drugs are drugs and they have bad interactions with alcohol.

I can't find fault in anything Celine said. If the stars her comments were aimed at had taken heed, they'd still be among us.

I can't see anything wrong with Ms Dion's comments either .. as to them "annoying" people .. there is a saying that only the truth can hurt!!

Roger