[REMOVE ADS]

What Was Nicki Minaj Trying To Prove?

BY CHLOE MELAS8.04 PM EST 02.12.2012

Nicki Minaj Walks Grammys Red Carpet With Bishop

Getty Images
    Click For More Grammys Pics!

comments 5

Nicki showed up to the 54th Annual Grammy Awards on Feb. 12 in a red-hooded ensemble with a fake Bishop on her arm — did you find it offensive?

Nicki Minaj is known for pushing the limits of fashion and music and on the red carpet of the Grammysshe did it again! The 29-year-old rapper stepped out of her black SUV at the Staples Center wearing a red satin cloak and you could only see her gorgeous face and platinum blonde hair with a special guest on her arm.
    The most shocking part of the ensemble was her date — a fake Catholic bishop!
    The singer is nominated for “Best New Artist” and “Best Rap Album” for Pink Friday.
    — Chloe Melas

More Grammy News:
    1. Check out the Grammy nominees right here!
    2. Check out what celebs wore on the red carpet at the Grammys!
    3. Clive Davis in tears at pre-Grammy party!

smark21 Guest
    The red carpet was a "preview" of her performance. I think she's trying to be the hip hop version of Madonna and Lady Gaga.

I was curious about her up until tonight. Like what is her deal? What is her talent. Then I saw her performance and I have decided that I do not like her at all. I've never really been fond of mixing the sacret with the profane even when Madonna was pushing the envelope some 25 years ago now. This Minaj chick needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with some original that displays her true talents. Grace Jones and that crew back in the day have already "shocked" us. LOL!

I never noticed it before until I read other people commenting on how much she resembles Chaka

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    I never noticed it before until I read other people commenting on how much she resembles Chaka
    Damn! She does doesn't she?

I never thought about that before. Now that you mention it, I see the resemblance.

I just don't get her...hopefully her 15 minutes will be over soon

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    She's a talented rapper with sone hit singles. She's gonna have a long 15 minutes.

I thought the people on the other forum I visit were out of touch...

Not offended-but dont get it. Music should push the envelope but I doubt she was making a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    There ya go Glencro! I just don't get her. Maybe she sings? Maybe she raps or is a dancer?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Not offended-but dont get it. Music should push the envelope but I doubt she was making a statement.
    I think she was attempting to make a spectacle, but unless she is going to cut the head off of a live chicken and eat it, then.........WAIT! I think we've even seen that act before too! hehehehehehehe.......

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    She's a talented rapper with sone hit singles. She's gonna have a long 15 minutes.

Ok so she's a rapper. Ok well there's a start.

I'm not out of touch and I'm very familiar with her hits and her many collaborations with other artists. She's just vastly overrated...her image is ridiculous and her raps are ok [[I can only handle so much of that nasally voice). But again, I'm watching my clock

hmmm.....you think she was trying to make a statement in reference to the catholic bishops stand on the recent birth control controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    hmmm.....you think she was trying to make a statement in reference to the catholic bishops stand on the recent birth control controversy?
    hmmmm.......Nysister, you think she is that deep? Could be.

I don't think it had anything to do with the birth control issue. Here is a piece from her Wikipedia page that might clear off of this up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicki_Minaj

Alter egos
    While growing up, Minaj's home life was often chaotic, with her parents constantly fighting.[50] As a means of escape, she would create characters and live her life through them.[50] In an interview with New York she stated, "To get away from all their fighting, I would imagine being a new person. 'Cookie' was my first identity – that stayed with me for a while. I went on to 'Harajuku Barbie,' then 'Nicki Minaj'. Fantasy was my reality."[50]
    For her debut album, Minaj created another alter-ego named "Roman Zolanski".[51] She stated that in songs like "Bottoms Up" with Trey Songz it is not Minaj rapping, but instead Roman Zolanski, and claims that Roman is her "twin sister". She claims that he was born inside her, out of rage, and becomes him when she is angry. She has also said 'He is a demon inside her'. Roman has been compared to Eminem's alter ego Slim Shady, and on the song "Roman's Revenge" from Pink Friday, Minaj and Eminem collaborate, using these alter egos.[52] On the collaboration, she said "The new album is going to have a lot of Roman on it ... And if you're not familiar with Roman, then you will be familiar with him very soon. He’s the boy that lives inside of me. He's a lunatic and he's gay and he'll be on there a lot." Roman also has a "mother" called "Martha Zolanski",[53] who also appeared on the song Roman's Revenge, with a British accent.[54] Martha appears in the video for "Moment 4 Life" where she appears to be Minaj's magical Godmother. In songs such as "All I Do Is Win [[Remix)" it is Minaj rapping.[51] Minaj stated that on her debut album, fans will get to "meet" Nicki, Roman and Onika.[51]
    On November 18, 2010, Minaj assumed a different alter-ego named "Nicki Teresa".[55] Wearing a colorful scarf around her head, she went around as the "healer to her fans" as she visited them at The Garden of Dreams Foundation at Fuse studios in New York City.[55] Minaj made an appearance on Lopez Tonight on December 6, 2010 and presented a different alter-ego for the Spanish-inspired occasion, named "Rosa" [[pronounced Rrrrrosa).[56]

I don't think it had anything to do with the birth control issue. Here is a piece from her Wikipedia page that might clear off of this up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicki_Minaj
    Soulster, this is too deep for me. I just got a headache just reading this...have mercyl!!

Soulster, this is too deep for me. I just got a headache just reading this...have mercyl!!
    It's just acting roles, and not much different than all the crap these Supremes fanatics on this forum engage in.

smark21 Guest
    I thought her performance suffered from what often brings down Lady Gaga's performances: she was trying too hard to make some statements and be provactive and controversial. Sometimes less is more, but there was just too much going on and at times I thought she was parodying the Lady Gaga aesthetic of throwing everything but the kitchen sink with her over the top staging.

She was actually parodying The Exorcist

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    She was actually parodying The Exorcist
    Among other things. The staging had a whole bunch of cultural signifiers with The Exorcist being the most obvious.

catholic officials are looking for just anything these days to further the republican's 'culture war", since that's the only way they think they can win in November.

That chick is crazy as hell!!!

Hmmmm. Has she considered 'therapy'?

That chick is scary,i thought i was having a[hooch]hullucination...until i realized i was sober!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    That chick is scary,i thought i was having a[hooch]hullucination...until i realized i was sober!!
    ah hehehehehehehe......!!!

She's not crazy. She knows exactly what she's doing.

smark21 Guest
    She's not crazy. She knows exactly what she's doing.
    I agree, she was portraying a persona. She could use a better director though who could reign in her ideas. The staging and performance was just too much and self indulgent.

Minaj is disgusting, pure and simple. Whatever talent she may have isn't the point. She is another one who sold her soul.

And Marv2, I agree with you. Mixing the sacred and profane for shock value is not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I agree, she was portraying a persona. She could use a better director though who could reign in her ideas. The staging and performance was just too much and self indulgent.
    What's interesting to me is how people give Eminem a pass for doing the exact, same thing with his personas, but people are ripping into Minaj for it.

I don't like Nikki Minaj and I don't have to. Me not liking her certainly won't hurt her career, which I think
    will be a big one, and her presence doesn't hurt my affection for all of the soulfunkjazzblues and other music I listen to. She's what this generation enjoys so I let them have her and that's that. One thing though...I come from Funkadelic... George Clinton and his mob would have at least one dirty track on
    every album whether it was No Head No Backstage Pass on Let's Take It To The Stage, Alice In My Fantasies on Standing On the Verge Of Gettin It On or Icka Prick on The Electric Spanking Of War Babies
    but not every track was like a Penthouse magazine you had to hide under your mattress when Mom mopped your room. Often nowadays these rapper/singers albums have the reverse, ONE track you can listen in mixed company. I don't get that. All of these folks on the net and tv thought it was so cute
    when that little kid performed Nikki's Super Bass but does her mother let her listen to all of Nikki's music?
    Wait til she learns Stupid Hoe, will that be "adorable" too? And what the hell is it with Nikki's nasal bratty
    voice? Actually, this seems to be becoming quite common in so many acts today. I can't listen to it and
    won't buy it...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I don't like Nikki Minaj and I don't have to. Me not liking her certainly won't hurt her career, which I think
    will be a big one, and her presence doesn't hurt my affection for all of the soulfunkjazzblues and other music I listen to. She's what this generation enjoys so I let them have her and that's that. One thing though...I come from Funkadelic... George Clinton and his mob would have at least one dirty track on
    every album whether it was No Head No Backstage Pass on Let's Take It To The Stage, Alice In My Fantasies on Standing On the Verge Of Gettin It On or Icka Prick on The Electric Spanking Of War Babies
    but not every track was like a Penthouse magazine you had to hide under your mattress when Mom mopped your room. Often nowadays these rapper/singers albums have the reverse, ONE track you can listen in mixed company. I don't get that. All of these folks on the net and tv thought it was so cute
    when that little kid performed Nikki's Super Bass but does her mother let her listen to all of Nikki's music?
    Wait til she learns Stupid Hoe, will that be "adorable" too? And what the hell is it with Nikki's nasal bratty
    voice? Actually, this seems to be becoming quite common in so many acts today. I can't listen to it and
    won't buy it...
    Could you listen to "Ika Prick" with your mom in the room?

No one is saying you have to like Nicki Minaj. I only really like and have only two or three songs she has or has participated on. I was simply giving a rational explaination for that Stupid...er Super Bowl show. That is all.

could you imagine what would be happening around the world right now if she walked out in a burqua & had her sidekick looking like Bin Laden ...how would the "religion of peace" react?LOL

From soulster:

My mother [[RIP) had the good sense to leave my Funkadelic albums alone and whatever risque tracks she may have overheard she knew I wouldn't play when I dj'ed our familie's house partys. You miss my point. The bulk of many of these "artists" recordings feature not only profanity, which btw, has never really been an issue with me depending
    on the setting, but a level of ignorance and viciousness that I wouldn't even consider playing it at say, a reunion
    or wedding with the kids running around and the grandparents sipping punch...

From soulster:

My mother [[RIP) had the good sense to leave my Funkadelic albums alone and whatever risque tracks she may have overheard she knew I wouldn't play when I dj'ed our familie's house partys. You miss my point. The bulk of many of these "artists" recordings feature not only profanity, which btw, has never really been an issue with me depending
    on the setting, but a level of ignorance and viciousness that I wouldn't even consider playing it at say, a reunion
    or wedding with the kids running around and the grandparents sipping punch...
    So, you actually think people play offensive rap tunes in inappropriate places? I don't hear that happening.

Again, From soulster:

So, you actually think people play offensive rap tunes in inappropriate places? I don't hear that happening

I guess out there where you live you don't, but I hear it all the time.
    In barbershops, at family get togethers, at cook outs, kids birthday parties and on my job where I am right at the
    present moment the guys downstairs are blasting n***a this,b***h, muthaf**Ker, eat a D**k as they do every day
    every week all year round...from Lil Wayne, Jay Z, 5 dimes, Lil Jon and all of the Lil Sh*ts they live by....

Again, From soulster:

So, you actually think people play offensive rap tunes in inappropriate places? I don't hear that happening

I guess out there where you live you don't, but I hear it all the time.
    In barbershops, at family get togethers, at cook outs, kids birthday parties and on my job where I am right at the
    present moment the guys downstairs are blasting n***a this,b***h, muthaf**Ker, eat a D**k as they do every day
    every week all year round...from Lil Wayne, Jay Z, 5 dimes, Lil Jon and all of the Lil Sh*ts they live by....
    Well, I can see it happening in an apartment building or from someone's car, but I guess people have a bit more respect around here. I just don't hear it happen.

Certain people on here are why I rarely post. They're not only out of touch but out of their medications as well...