[REMOVE ADS]

Tyson , the music biz and random thoughts…

I met Ron Tyson [[Presson) shortly after he joined the Tempts. He is as talented and foine as an exquisite wine today, as he was 29 years ago. His stellar credentials as a singer, performer, songwriter and producer takes a back seat to know one and as a member of one of the most legendary groups in history, I honestly can’t remember when the Tempts with Tyson as one of the wing men, didn’t receive a rousing standing ovation at the end of their set. Recently I heard someone say, “it’s amazing to me how two legendary groups can still pack a house after 50 years”….this is true and for those that say, well they are small venues, well let me ask you this….when was the last time you brought 2500 people to their feet with thunderous applause?

Tyson, or “Roscoe” as I jokingly call him is and has always been the epitome of style and grace and when you look up the word gentleman, his picture should be on the page. Ron Tyson is the kind of person that will go out of his way to sidestep BS…he’s also as humble as they come…both traits I’ve witnessed in another Ron…or I should say Ronnie over the years.

People pass away, and inevitably they get kudos, love and adulation after they are gone but it seems to me, we should be giving them their props while they are still with us.

If they record a song you don’t like, so be it…some times you win and sometimes you lose in this biz…its how the game is played but to disparage an artist because of their physical appearance or because of some BS judgment you’ve formed without even knowing the person, shows no class or decorum whatsoever.

Yes I am biased when it comes to Tyson, yes I have pissed people off around here because they thought I was being mean to them but I challenge one person on this MUSIC forum to show me a post where I have ever, said a nasty or unkind word about the people who brought us the music we all claim to love…let me give you a hint….that post doesn’t exist…but feel free to check the archives to look. You see, I didn’t come to SDF just for the love of music; I also came here for the love of the people who bring us the music, the writers, musicians, singers, engineers…

A song and or a tune are nothing but notes on a page until someone brings those notes to life. The next time you tell yourself, it’s all about the music, think again. …hell, next time, why not simply trying THINKING period!

And on a side note … Whenever someone would ask Obie Benson how he felt about the fact that there were people that didn’t know he was one of the writers of “What’s Going On, he would say, as long as the checks are going to the bank, it doesn’t matter who knows what I wrote….

I love this biz, while some are obsessing over charts and stats, others are going to bank and cashing checks….don’t hate, congratulate.
    Last edited by ms_m; 02-11-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Another great post ms.m[wit yo fine self]folks seem to forget that indeed ron tyson is a very good songwriter and i believe he's second in temps longevity to only to otis himself[i give him big props for that]as i've stated before i've seen him in the temps and the ethics...ron tyson-a soul survivor!

Thanks for the support Jai....you know you will always be my man of the year....LOL

Sometimes you read something and it hits you the wrong way because of a personal connection but here is the thing. I think people often forget artist are human beings with feelings too....Just because they choose to be in the public eye doesn't change that. You build up a second skin but that doesn't mean the negativity doesn't get through and trust me when I tell you, people would be surprised how much of what is said on SDF is either read by some of these artist or heard by them.

We are losing our soul icons left and right, even if we choose not to support them financially I'd like to think we can show them respect and love for the music they have brought to us...

I like Ron Tyson a lot, have seen him in concert a few times, a true pro. I really like his website, very informative and cool. I go to that site to check Tempts concert dates.

Ron has a new CD out and if the material is like the sample here, it will be awesome! Sounds like a single has already charted. Check it out:

http://www.rontyson.com/

I go to that site to check Tempts concert dates.

Me too.....LOL

Marva has done an outstanding job with Tyson's site and several others as well. As a matter of fact I was recently thinking about getting her to do one for Ronnie. I'm burned out on doing websites and I need to get another one up for him in the very near future.

Thanks for chiming in Tsull...btw....I need to hit you up about some background info on an artist you are familiar with....I'll send you an email shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Another great post ms.m[wit yo fine self]folks seem to forget that indeed ron tyson is a very good songwriter and i believe he's second in temps longevity to only to otis himself[i give him big props for that]as i've stated before i've seen him in the temps and the ethics...ron tyson-a soul survivor!
    Nope, melvin is with 35 years from the begining until a year before his death.

If you are talking about current living tempts then you are correct.

Yes, Jai was referring to the current line up. I understood what he meant but then again I've known Jai for awhile... but thanks for the info for those that may have misunderstood.Good looking out.

BTW.....Jai is a stone cold classic 5 fan... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    thanks for the support jai....you know you will always be my man of the year....lol

sometimes you read something and it hits you the wrong way because of a personal connection but here is the thing. I think people often forget artist are human beings with feelings too....just because they choose to be in the public eye doesn't change that. You build up a second skin but that doesn't mean the negativity doesn't get through and trust me when i tell you, people would be surprised how much of what is said on sdf is either read by some of these artist or heard by them.

We are losing our soul icons left and right, even if we choose not to support them financially i'd like to think we can show them respect and love for the music they have brought to us...
    right on point,i too have been careless a time or two with criticism instead of just being greatful for the legends we have left that are actually still outthere on stage bringing joy and in the case of the mighty temps still churning out hits fifty years strong,when i read about legends such as jerry butler not being able to get in the studio it saddens me,so thank you again ms.m for being the voice of reason and reminding us that all people have feelings.

Jai we all make missteps and slip up. Sometimes, something you mean as a joke goes bad...such is life and I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with criticism but in order for it to be helpful, I do believe it should be constructive...at the very least, an attempt at being constructive....and sometimes even that goes wrong but at least you know you tried to help not hurt.

We have a lot of our legends that are still going strong, they still have their chops and the ability to work but because of their age, they are struggling to get work or airplay or anything else so it does rub me the wrong way when so call fans dog them out too...Someone should be in their corner cheering them on and if not fans, the people that claim to love them, who?