[REMOVE ADS]

History Detectives: James Jamerson

Hello! My name is Ashley Levine, and I'm an archivist for the PBS historical documentary series, History Detectives.

We are currently working on an investigation involving James Jamerson, the Funk Brothers bassist who revolutionized the role of the bass guitar in rock n' roll, funk, R&B, soul [[basically all genres post-1960).

The segment we're working on centers on what might be James Jamerson's trusted Ampeg Portaflex B15-N amp. I'm reaching out to ask about where to find visual materials for use in bringing the historical part of our story to life. While we're really interested in shots of Jamerson, we would also like to secure a multitude of images, from the classic 1960s exterior shots of the Motown "Hitsville" Studios, to exterior shots of the Motown scene in the 60s [[clubs where the Funk Brothers played--The Flame Showbar, Phelps Lounge, Apex Bar, Club 20 Grand, Chit-Chat, Hobby Bar, Al's Cocktail Lounge, Sam Farley's Collingwood Lounge, Mory Bakers', Blues Unlimited), to images of actual recording sessions, notes from sessions, images of Motown legends [[Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Four Tops, and others) performing and/or generally, Funk Brothers images, or just generally Motown archival images/footage from 1959 through 1972.

We are soooo grateful for any insights, leads, or suggestions!

Best,

Ashley Levine
    Archivist, “History Detectives"
    Lion TV for PBS
    ashley.levine@liontv.us
    office: 212.929.0229 ext. 276
    fax: 212.929.6109
    http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/

I love "History Detectives." They can make an artifact from an era you might not even be interested in very compelling.

Guys, what about the new "Hype and Soul" book? I didn't buy it, but heard it was loaded with vintage photos from the early days. Someone else might comment.

Kenneth, thanks so much for the "Hype and SOul" book suggestion. I am in contact with the Bentley Historical Library at U Mich, who possesses an Alan Abrams Papers collection [[so I'm hoping to find visuals there!). I'd be extremely interested to know what kinds of images are published in the "Hype an Soul" book, [[and especially the sources for the visuals!) Sorry if this is a repeat post [[I sent one earlier, but can't find it on the thread).

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by asl352 View Post
    Kenneth, thanks so much for the "Hype and SOul" book suggestion. I am in contact with the Bentley Historical Library at U Mich, who possesses an Alan Abrams Papers collection [[so I'm hoping to find visuals there!). I'd be extremely interested to know what kinds of images are published in the "Hype an Soul" book, [[and especially the sources for the visuals!) Sorry if this is a repeat post [[I sent one earlier, but can't find it on the thread).

Thanks again!
    Not many of its photos appear to be posted, but here's the main promo blog for it: http://hypeandsoul.blogspot.com/

I think Abrams also contributes to this Forum, so you should be able to contact him more or less directly here.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Hello! My name is Ashley Levine, and I'm an archivist for the PBS historical documentary series, History Detectives.

We are currently working on an investigation involving James Jamerson, the Funk Brothers bassist who revolutionized the role of the bass guitar in rock n' roll, funk, R&B, soul [[basically all genres post-1960).

The segment we're working on centers on what might be James Jamerson's trusted Ampeg Portaflex B15-N amp. I'm reaching out to ask about where to find visual materials for use in bringing the historical part of our story to life. While we're really interested in shots of Jamerson, we would also like to secure a multitude of images, from the classic 1960s exterior shots of the Motown "Hitsville" Studios, to exterior shots of the Motown scene in the 60s [[clubs where the Funk Brothers played--The Flame Showbar, Phelps Lounge, Apex Bar, Club 20 Grand, Chit-Chat, Hobby Bar, Al's Cocktail Lounge, Sam Farley's Collingwood Lounge, Mory Bakers', Blues Unlimited), to images of actual recording sessions, notes from sessions, images of Motown legends [[Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Four Tops, and others) performing and/or generally, Funk Brothers images, or just generally Motown archival images/footage from 1959 through 1972.

We are soooo grateful for any insights, leads, or suggestions!

Best,

Ashley Levine
    Archivist, “History Detectives"
    Lion TV for PBS
    ashley.levine@liontv.us
    office: 212.929.0229 ext. 276
    fax: 212.929.6109
    http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/
    Ashley, you need to talk to Al Abrams aka Stalebagel on here. I will you a message.

Thanks! Mr. Abrams actually saw the post, and I have spoken with him. But I'd love to hear from you for any suggestions!

Ashley, have you reached out to the Motown Museum? It may be possible they have photographs in their possession. I am not sure how to contact him, but Allan "Dr. Licks" Slutsky might help in your research. He has connections with the Jamerson family as well as the surviving Funk Brothers. Does anyone know where he can be reached?

I have a contact for Allen.

Thanks! Mr. Abrams actually saw the post, and I have spoken with him. But I'd love to hear from you for any suggestions!
    Well one suggestion is to get photos of him in the pit. During recording sessions. I am sure more than few exist. Also Al, and the Holland Bros. are great ones to talk to about that period.

What a fantastic project! Thank you so much for doing this and good luck with your research.

Jamerson's son, James Jamerson Jr., also plays a mean bass guitar. You might try and find him by searching the internet.

Thanks to everyone for the advice/encouragement. I just emailed Holland-Dozier-Holland, so we'll see if they get back!

Keep the comments/suggestions a'comin'.

Thanks!

Ashley

Thanks to everyone for the advice/encouragement. I just emailed Holland-Dozier-Holland, so we'll see if they get back!

Keep the comments/suggestions a'comin'.

Thanks!

Ashley
    Let me know if they get back to you please. Best of luck with your project.

Marv

Marv,

Will do. Thanks for your concern!

Ashley

Earl Van Dyke

Hello everyone, Ashley from History Detectives here again.

I am wondering, does anyone have a contact for Earl Van Dyke's relatives, or have info as to the status of his estate? Or was someone a good friend of his? I have seen some special photos credited to him, in various Motown-related books, and am wondering who might know how to access them.

But, please, do not overstep any bounds [[as I may have done here) on my behalf [[I'm just trying to fathom all possible resources).

Most respectfully [[to Mr. Van Dyke, and all the extremely kind folks who have read/responded/thought about my Jamerson post),

Ashley