[REMOVE ADS]

Dee Dee Clark aka ?

To most of us record fans, the lady that cut "What Kind of Lady" will always be known as Dee Dee Sharpe.
    But that was just one of her stage / recording names. Her real name was Dione LaRue.
    But in the 70's, when married to Kenny Gamble, she had some tracks out under the name of Dee Dee Clark Gamble. Then in the 80's, as Dee Dee Sharpe Gamble.
    I have recently come across a few mid 1960's live show ads for a east coast singer called Dee Dee Clark.
    I'm led to believe that this was the same lady as Dee Dee Sharpe / Gamble, etc.
    BUT, she was having hits under the name of Dee Dee Sharpe from 1962 to January 1966, so why would she have changed to Dee Dee Clark by March 1966 ?
    I know she married Kenny in 1967 and was back recording as Dee Dee Sharpe [[on Gamble) by 1968 ... so why the change to Clark when her real name was LaRue.
    ANYONE KNOW ?? [[perhaps Caesar would know as he must have played numerous gigs with her back then).

One of the ads for a show that Dee Dee Clarl performed on in March 1966 ....

Attachment 4354

NEVER heard of her going by "Dee Dee Clark", nor Dee Dee Clark Gamble, nor Dee Dee Sharpe with an "e".Maybe the printer made a mistake.

There was a guy singer named Dee Clark, but I don't think they would have described him as beautiful and exciting. LOL

Dee Dee Clark Gamble – What Color Is Love [[Written by Collier)
    Dee Dee Clark Gamble – Everyday Affair [[Written by Keithen Carter, Terry Fryer)

Perhaps this is where the name came from originally ....
    .... Living in Philadelphia, the home of Dick CLARK's American Bandstand helped her career. She appeared on the syndicated teen dance show many times from 1962. The first black female teen idol, Sharp also became a fixture on CLARK's Caravan of Stars tours.

No, folks!!! Dee Dee Sharp never performed as Dee Dee Clark and she was never Dee Dee Clark Gamble either.
    She was always Dee Dee Sharp and did two lps on PIR label as Dee Dee Sharp Gamble. However, one record
    on Atco was printed as by Dee Dee Sharpe and that was her great rendition of "A Woman Will Do Wrong".

Dick Clark was a big influence on her early years and a dear friend too.

Dee Clark was the singer of the hit record "Raindrops", which I think was done on Vee Jay label.

And speaking of[dee dee sharp]her 1976 song[i'm not in love]should've been a major hit but wasn't[very popular in d.c.]a missed opportunity.

Hi Jsmith,
    I talk to Dee Dee all the time.
    We just about grew up together.
    Her and my sister, Juanita Holiday traveled around and sang in churches together.
    I will be sure to ask her about this.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Many thanks, Ceasar.

A Dee Dee Clark appearance in Baltimore ..........
    Attachment 4377

Nah, that can't be Dee Dee Sharp being listed at the bottom of the bill. If it were she, wouldn't she be the star instead of the Sky Wheels and a Minstrel show?

Of course, nosey!!!!! People used to also confuse Dee Dee Sharp with Dee Dee Ford, who had a duet hit with
    Don Gardner called "I Need Your Lovin' Everyday" back in '62.

The show above was at a shopping center; hence the soul acts being just an 'incidental' add-on.
    That's why the circus type acts get better billing.

Dee Dee Sharp by that time was playing Vegas, Miami and Lake Tahoe in the big show rooms. She started those kind
    of gigs in '63!!!! Long before the Supremes made it fashionable for rock & rollers to play such venues, Dee Dee
    Sharp was an old pro at it!!!