[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Don Corneilius, geriatric depression and suicide

In all the Don Corneilius threads I've read here so far, there's been very little discussion of the circumstances of his death. Namely, a 75 year old man killed himself by putting a bullet through his head It's fine to celebrate his life and accomplishments and the memories he gave us through Soul Train and the cultural impact the show had. But what about a little attention paid to how he died? Was he depressed? Was he receiving treatment? Were there warning signs? Here are a couple of links on the issues of depression and suicide in the senior citizen population. We're all getting older and these are issues we're going to have to face, whether it's our own struggles, or the challenges faced by aged parents, spouses, siblings, or friends.

http://www.ec-online.net/knowledge/S...noverview.html

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...et/index.shtml

I scanned some articles about Mr. Cornelius.

It appeared he was suffering health issues but I wasn't clear if they were physical or mental or both.

The one instance where I can understand suicide is when you are physically ill and you know the outcome is only got to get worse through the balance of your life.

However, I also have had nurses tell me that the sickest people are those suffering from mental issues.

Mr. Cornelius clearly had a very successful life and must have been financially comfortable. The article I read seemed to show that he wasn't really closely connected to his family though. Was there a spouse? The article quoted a son, I believe.

I really believe that in the long run, the cause of his death isn't as important as what he accomplished while he was alive on this earth. You can easily wrap your head around the man's numerous accomplishes much more than you can try and understand why and how he died. It's like that when anyone dies. Recognize the passing, but shed the light on the deceased wonderful and important life. In the long run, that is what's important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_RImp8nI4&sns=em

In this interview [[YT link above) with Herb Kent from October of last year, Cornelius jokes with his friends and clearly enjoys himself as they all reminisce about the beginnings of Soul Train. Still, his face shows a sadness, and at times it's hard to tell if he's lost in his own thoughts, having trouble thinking clearly, or both. Physically, he was still a handsome man at 75 years old, but as an icon of a generation of beautiful young people, perhaps it was especially difficult for him to face old age.

smark21, you raise an important issue about geriatric depression in general. I'm a health care worker, and I've cared for survivors of attempted suicide. Across all age groups the common theme is often a profound sense of hopelessness, but for the elderly, declining physical and mental health, pain, poverty, loneliness, not wanting to be a "burden" to their family...all factor in to compound their situation. Sometimes family and friends see warning signs, but often there are none.

I'm with smark. This situation should have been a great opportunity to discuss this issue, but the press does not care. I guess his death wasn't bizarre enough.

That part about being an icon for youth for decades struck a note. He must have had multiple issues to deal with. Nothing I've read dwelled on the marriage or family members. In an age of sniffing out any and everything I was surprised. Then again maybe little is known except for Don being charged in a domestic dispute not to long ago. It's funny that I don't remember him from his WVON days but I'll always remember him for his work on Soul Train.

I agree - very impt topic. My Dad is in asst living and so many of the people look depressed and they dont have any kind of counselor or social worker. I think many would feel much better if they could just share exactly how they are feeling. Sometimes an anti-depressant could help though it's trickier I believe with advanced age.
    Last edited by luke; 02-06-2012 at 01:14 PM.