[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick - Hidden Gems

I decided to go to my favorite used CD store after class yesterday, and guess what I found for $6? Yes, "Hidden Gems"!
    I have wanted to get this CD for years because it's just about the only place you can find many key Dionne album tracks from the legendary Scepter years, but it usually goes for $30-$40 on eBay. Lucky me!

I'm loving, seriously, every track on here. I was shocked at how similar D's original version of "Wishin' and Hopin" is to Dusty's remake. I still like Dusty, but really, girlfriend ripped Ms. Warwick off!

I love every song on here. And - the kicker for me is that is was remastered [[and remixed from the master tapes) by the incomparable Bill Inglot. I find myself buying just about any and every CD that has remastering by him. He's simply the best.

Anyone else have Hidden Gems? Do you love it as much as I do [[having had it for a mere 36 hours!)? What are you favorite tracks? How do you rate Dionne's versions of songs compared to versions by Dusty Springfield, The Carpenters, The Supremes, and Jackie DeShannon?

uptight Guest
    Was I ever glad I bought Hidden Gems in the 1990s? It is a good companion to Her All-Time Greatest Hits compilation. Only now am I learning Bill Inglot remixed many or most of the tunes on both CD sets. I would tend to believe he remixed them to give the compilations some uniformity and consistency throughout, while the original stereo tapes were possibly in poor shape. Well, anyway, anyone not familiar with the original album versions will say these CDs sound great.

However depressing many of the lyrics are in Hidden Gems, the melodies and performances are exquisite.
    Last edited by uptight; 02-01-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Amazon US have copies for sale from $9.19.

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Gems-Be.../dp/B0000032EO

I have the CD and it's nice. However, what disappoints me is that Rhino has never reissued the mono mix of "You Can have Him", which is very, very different from the stereo version found on Hidden Gems. The mono version sounds more like a hit single.

I've had the CD since the 90's also. Found it browsing in "ole" Circuit City one day. It is indeed a perfect companion to her greatest hits and even more so to her CD "From The Vault." FTV was a huge pick up for me as at the time I had never owned any of her original albums. I'm at work now and can't remember which CD [[FTV or HGs) it's on but the song "The Last One To Be Loved" became one of my all time Bacharach/David/Warwick favorites. I especially liked the way the back ground singers wailed as the song went off. For some reason, that style of back ground singing reminds me of the Greek Gods in the sword & sandal movies from the 60's. It sounds like someting angels might sing in worshipping God. That may sound wierd to some but as a kid that is the correlation I formed from hearing that. It can also be heard during the break on "Walk On By." That, Dion's voice, Hal's lyrics and Burts arrangements endeared their music to me in a personal way.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I've had the CD since the 90's also. Found it browsing in "ole" Circuit City one day. It is indeed a perfect companion to her greatest hits and even more so to her CD "From The Vault." FTV was a huge pick up for me as at the time I had never owned any of her original albums. I'm at work now and can't remember which CD [[FTV or HGs) it's on but the song "The Last One To Be Loved" became one of my all time Bacharach/David/Warwick favorites. I especially liked the way the back ground singers wailed as the song went off. For some reason, that style of back ground singing reminds me of the Greek Gods in the sword & sandal movies from the 60's. It sounds like someting angels might sing in worshipping God. That may sound wierd to some but as a kid that is the correlation I formed from hearing that. It can also be heard during the break on "Walk On By." That, Dion's voice, Hal's lyrics and Burts arrangements endeared their music to me in a personal way.
    I used to have this disc, but don't anymore because I have all of the Dionne/Scepter LPs the tracks come from. Dionne's background singers often included her aunt Cissy, her sister Dee Dee, her aunt Ann Moss and her mother.

"The Last One To Be Loved" sounds amazing! It must be on From The Vaults. Looks like I'll be adding that CD to my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    However depressing many of the lyrics are in Hidden Gems, the melodies and performances are exquisite.
    Yes indeed!

Soulster, that sounds interesting regarding "You Can Have Him". In listening to this track, I can tell it was probably designed for mono. The drums are tight here, and are likely very "punchy" in the mono mix you so love.

My favorite is Slaves, this song is only on hidden gems. Dionne performed it live only one time in her career in Cannes, sadly I saw this only one time

"Last One To Be Loved" from the cd "From the Vaults" has always been one of my favorite songs from Dionne.

Here is the mono LP/45 mix of "You Can Have Him". Sounds more like a hit single than the stereo mix, doesn't it?

http://db.tt/CABiYknf

I cleaned it up from a noise mono album "The Sensitive Sound Of Dionne Warwick".
    Last edited by soulster; 02-03-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Here is the mono LP/45 mix of "You Can Have Him". Sounds more like a hit single than the stereo mix, doesn't it?

http://db.tt/CABiYknf

I cleaned it up from a noise mono album "The Sensitive Sound Of Dionne Warwick".
    Cool, thanks! Listening to it right now. I love the punchy frenetic quality it has. The drums really kick ass. And what about those Ladybirds? LOL Those British girls were actually sangin!

It would have made an interesting single choice, as it was so different from all the love songs Dionne sang.

Thanks for sharing this rare mix

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post

It would have made an interesting single choice, as it was so different from all the love songs Dionne sang.
    It was a single. It charted on Billboard's Hot 100.

Thank you, Soulster for that mono single mix. Dionne is singing in a way that I don't usually hear from her, the drums and the arraingment is really pushing her. And to me, the mix you made is pristine!

In the cd booklet either Burt or Dion said "The Last One To Be Loved" was their favorite song or one of their favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Thank you, Soulster for that mono single mix. Dionne is singing in a way that I don't usually hear from her, the drums and the arraingment is really pushing her. And to me, the mix you made is pristine!
    I did not mix it. Likely, the legendary engineer/producer Phil Ramone mixed it. I took it off of my mother's mono LP, cleaned it up, and mastered it because I could not find the mono album in digital form anywhere. All I ever find is stereo.

I stumbled upon this a while back at CD Warehouse and picked it up...it is a FANTASTIC CD, as are most of Ichiban's Soul Classics releases!

Best,

Mark

That is a great get, Sugarchile! And I second Mark's comment about the Ichiban releases being consistently fantastic.

Be glad that you can still get this one...a LOT of the Ichiban CD's have went up in value!!

Best,

Mark

Earlier I told soulster I thought "You Can Have Him" mono should have been a single. Well, I looked it up - and it was! Peaked at #75. Cool

Still diggin' that mono treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    Earlier I told soulster I thought "You Can Have Him" mono should have been a single. Well, I looked it up - and it was! Peaked at #75. Cool
    What? You didn't believe me? I said it was.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    What? You didn't believe me? I said it was.
    LOL, no actually I missed your post believe it or not! Sometimes I scroll too fast through
    Wasn't doubting you boo!

At the time, I bought it for "Let Me Go To Him".

"Let Me Go To Him" is another very good one that I had never heard before and is now a favorite. Burt sure knows how to end songs in an interesting way.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlonleyheart View Post
    My favorite is Slaves, this song is only on hidden gems. Dionne performed it live only one time in her career in Cannes, sadly I saw this only one time
    Do you remember the film? "Slaves"? I thought Dionne was great in it.

Speaking of lost gems from dionne,check out[mr heartbreak..any old time of the day]very cool i don't know if they saw the light of day as singles but two great tunes from ms.warwick!

It is strange that there is no box-set of Dionne's recordings.
    Surely there must be unreleased material!

i don't have this CD.. but i have a question about it.. is there anything written in the booklet about the longer version of This Girl's In Love With You.. where did this version come from ? the original album cut was 4:13 right.. but this Hidden Gem version is over a minute longer.
    Last edited by waldo; 01-29-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Not from what I can see.

It talks about the song being a top 10 pop and R&B hit single...from "Promises Promises".....written originally as "This Guys..." for Herb Alpert to sing to his wife on TV..... and released by Scepter a mere 10 months after Herb Alpert's version reached number one.

The track listing additionally refers to the writers, release date, LP and 45 catalogue numbers

This thread came back from the vault too [[he,he). I too wonder if there is more Bacharach/David/Warwick material that has not been released.

This thread came back from the vault too [[he,he). I too wonder if there is more Bacharach/David/Warwick material that has not been released.

If there were anything, I think we would have heard it by now. But I can't say for certain. There have been a few tracks on some of those limited run discs that Rhino issued. David Nathan would probably know.

I'll chuck this in for what it's worth..

There's unreleased material for Dionne's HDH album.

I think there was also mention of Dionne having done a session with Burt Bacharach [[without Hal David), as well as some sessions with Ashford and Simpson during her Warner Bros. era.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    If there were anything, I think we would have heard it by now. But I can't say for certain. There have been a few tracks on some of those limited run discs that Rhino issued. David Nathan would probably know.
    i asked David today about "Girl".. he said he can't remember ..

anyone else? where did this long version come from.

I don't know if it can be classified as a hidden gem, but Dionne's "Windows of the World" is a very special, simply great recording! There is nowhere to hear it on the radio these days. I wished that more could:

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    i asked David today about "Girl".. he said he can't remember ..

anyone else? where did this long version come from.
    I meant David Nathan would probably know about unreleased material by Dionne Warwick since he was reissuing her albums and compiling her classic tracks at one time.

There are different Bacharach songs performed by Dionne in WB vault: "Plastic city" [[BB & Bobby Russell) / "And she walked in the room" or ""And Then You Walked Through the Door" [[BB & Neil Simon). Also "Everybody's Out Of Town".
    From the BB Discussion Forum!