[REMOVE ADS]

Andre' Lewis - R.I.P.

Name:  Andre.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  58.5 KB

We have lost yet another great talent today.

MICHAEL ANDRE' LEWIS has been a major force in Black American music since his early childhood. He comes from a musically talented family; his Father, HARRY, was a saxophonist with the legendary COUNT BASIE BAND, and also was bandleader for FATS DOMINO and ETTA JAMES. Andre's father was also a band member of locally known PRESTON LOVE.

At the tender age of six ANDRE' became a member of a young singing group called the BE BOPS along with his childhood friend BUDDY MILES.

They were so successful they won a statewide talent contest. His experience playing organ at the legendary ALLENS SHOWCASE LOUNGE, from which the legendary cut "Paul B Allen, Omaha NE" penned by he and Buddy, allowed him to form the first of many exciting bands. In the 7th grade his band MIKE LEWIS and THE KINGBEES, included future Grammy Award winner LESTER ABRAMS.

While in his early teens, ANDRE' was touring with 'Universal Attractions' backing such notable acts as THE ORLONS and the late great SAM COOK. By the age of 15 ANDRE' was fronting his own band, THE MIKE LEWIS QUARTET, appearing on the same bill with jazz greats such as KENNY BURRELL JIMMY SMITH and JIMMY MCGRIFF. He gave up his life on the road long enough to complete his education and, shortly thereafter, adoped his middle name and formed the legendary ANDRE' LEWIS AND THE NEW BREED, a seminal band of young musical geniuses who after successfully touring the USA went on to make their marks individually on the contemporary music scene. This amazing group of young men, while still teenagers, created an exiting jazz fusion sound that remains popular today.

The group included STEMSY HUNTER and HERBIE RICH, two founding members of the ELECTRIC FLAG, and HANK REDD, who went on to be STEVIE WONDER's band manager for a number of years.

BLACK ROCK 'N ROLL RENAISSANCE:

While on the road, ANDRE' ran into his childhood friend BUDDY MILES in Los Angeles and that historic reunion resulted in the first of the great BUDDY MILES bands. Buddy and Andre' compiled the now classic "Them Changes" album for Mercury Records. In addition to playing with Buddy, Andre' also did session work for such rock luminaries as THE WHO, LABELLE, SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE, and the late music legend JIMI HENDRIX. After several successful album projects and international tours with Buddy, Andre' left the band to pursue his solo career as a record producer with his own group MAXAYN, recording four albums with the group; utilizing his talents as a songwriter, arranger, producer and keyboardist. During this time, he also produced albums for WHITE CHOCOLATE and LABELLE. MAXAYN toured initially with EARTH, WIND AND FIRE and later completed two highly successful world tours as the headlining act. The group was also inducted into the BLACK ROCK COALITION HALL OF FAME for being one of the pioneering groups in black rock music. After MAXAYN disbanded, Andre' formed a longstanding relationship with JOHNNY "GUITAR" WATSON recording three albums and going on to name his backup band which he says he has a degree from: THE WATSONIAN INSTITUTE OF BLUES. Later Andre' joined forces with FRANK ZAPPA for world tours and albums. Andre' also performed for a period of time with LEON RUSSELL.

THE MUSIC OF THE FUTURE:

In 1976 Andre' signed as an Artist/Producer/Songwriter with MOTOWN RECORDS and developed the persona of MANDRE, the "artist from outer space". Before the advent of Starwars or Battlestar Galactica, MANDRE, in both his albums and live performances personified the "mystery man from outer space". His features, hidden behind a futuristic mask and his music filled with the sounds from beyond, emanated from a variety of synthisized musical sounds. It was during this period of Andre's career that he experimented with synthesizers, using them almost exclusively on his debut album MANDRE. His synthesized instrumental "Solar Flight" scored an across-the-charts hit. After completing three more albums for the Motown label, Andre severed his relationship with Motown to pursue independent production but retained the rights and title to the Mandre name.

After producing tracks for Motown artists TATA VEGA, DIANA ROSS, MARVIN GAYE, and RICKENSTEIN, Andre expanded his knowledge and skills in the new technology by enrolling in Los Angeles City College Television Production classes, video arts seminars, martial arts, and other technically oriented classes. In 1980, Andre moved to Marin County, CA and developed a state-of-the-art recording studio in the San Fransisco Bay Area. During this time he released MANDRE IV on his independent label, and played with a band called THE BEST OF FRIENDS which included HUEY LEWIS who later became famous with his chartbusting group HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS.

Always a prolific musician, Andre' recorded during these years with a variety of artists of all genres. He recorded Country & Western with THE NEW RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE and the SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET. He toured and recorded with R&B artist CARL CARLTON in the fall of 1982 and recorded with Jazz Pop artist ANGELA BEOFIL, playing and singing the now famous "vocorder voice" on Angela's across-the-charts hit "He's So Tough". Andre' continued to expand his musical horizons while adding his own style and musical expertise to the works of other world famous music artists such as STACEY LATESAW, EDWIN STARR, CHARLES WILSON and THE GAP BAND, BOBBY WOMACK, SLY STONE, bassist JONAS HILLBOURG, venturing into New Wave and Funk through his association with ROCKY ERICKSON and the ALIENS. His long stint as bandleader for JOHNNY "GUITAR" WATSON helped define the funky style that took Johnny to the top of the charts.

THE EUROPEAN CONNECTION:

Having finished a tour of Europe with Johnny Guitar Watson; in 1988 Andre' decided to base himself in Germany. Shortly after that he celebrated the birth of his daughter, Riva, and became actively involved in the European scene, continuing his producing and performing with a variety of local musicians. During this time he toured again with Johnny Guitar Watson and EDWIN STARR and also recorded extensively in England. He also organized and coordinated an exciting reunion band where he teamed with childhood friends BUDDY MILES, MARLO HENDERSON, BILLY RICH, and STEMSEY HUNTER to create the now stellar CD: THE MIGHTY RHYTHM TRIBE. The group also appeared on the SUNSPLASH TOUR, being the only group not playing raegge music but music of the future firmly rooted in the finest tradition of Black American music.

He also contributed to many films during this period, most notably NUR UBER MINE KOPER [[Over My Dead Body) for which he wrote the title track and other tunes. This film went on to win the MUNICH FILM ARTS AWARD.

Since returning to the United States, Andre' has toured and recorded with IKE TURNER but mostly has focused on Gospel Music. He has recorded with various gospel artists in his private studio. Andre' is currently working on a new MANDRE album which will feature guitarist extraordinare CALVIN KEYS on the title track.

To stay rooted, Andre' plays in church every Sunday and is involved with the children's choir. This is one of the ways he feels he can give back to the Lord what the Lord has given him: an extraordinary musical talent and an uncanny ability to foresee new musical trends.

RIP Mr Lewis and thanks for all the music.

I remember him most from his work as "Mandre". Really great musician. Rest in peace Andre

Marv

I'm sorry to hear this. Andre Lewis was brought to my attention via "Paul B Allen, Omaha NE". It was so much like the old jazz organ sound of the vintage records of my Dad's I would hear. One of my other favorites is him turning out on Labelles," Moon Shadow".
    R.I.P. ANDRE LEWIS

i got maxayn's bail out for fun lp on release after a blues and soul recomendation and never regreted buying or stopped listening to it.nobody else i knew bought it.a shame as it was a really different "sound"

rip andre lewis