[REMOVE ADS]

Steven tyler, national anthem

Just wanted to hear any opinions.
    Getting a lot of opinions here in Philly news.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Ttmes

Sorry for the spelling error.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Providing a link for those of us who do not watch sports would be nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooLOE...layer_embedded

He got a couple of the lyrics wrong, but at least he was on key.

I guess if you don't like his band Aerosmith, you won't like this. See, i'm a big Aerosmith fan.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Its probably a publicity stunt to pump up ratings for Amer Idol. J-Lo's asset is all the reason I need to watch
    But people should be more upset about Tyler's perverted comment to ex Red Sox player Joe Magrane http://youtu.be/Q324uKUHVQ4?t=1m10s
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 01-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.

I like this comment:
    Hi, I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC. Why don't you have a seat over there?

I thought the best anthem of the day was done by Kristin Chenoweth at the NFC Championship game.

It SUCK.....LOL HE sucks.....but rich!!!!! lol

Very Funny But True Piano MD...He definitely ain't Russell...
    You are spoiled in a good way getting to hear the perfection of Russell and the New Stylistics on a Regular Basis.
    Coming to see you guys in San Francisco on Sunday April 1st at the RRazz Room.
    Would love to just say Hello and bring you some Monterey Peninsula Hospitality.

Abraham Smooth Wilson

calling him a singer is a big stretch....but what idiot would even ask him to sing the National Anthem even at a cole slaw wrestling event!

My Rottweiler can sing better than this Dude...who does look like a lady [[a very old one).

Oh he can too sing. It's obvious none of you guys listen to Aerosmith's music.

Hey Soulster
    I promise to take another listen with Aerosmith..I do know they are a "HUGE GROUP"..Going to listen to him sing a ballet how about that? So Soulster I will be fair..but it doesn't change my mind "that night " he tried to sing the National Anthem...lol

But he was pretty much on key. Not too many singers can do that singing the national anthem!

I thought he did fine. I don't know what people were expecting. They hired Steven Tyler, not Placido Domingo.

hey, I'm an Aerosmith fan but Steven Tyler ain't no singer, he's a rocker alright & on key but a singer he ain't,LOL

I've noticed since the Janet Jackson Super Bowl fiasco, that no black artists are singing the National Anthem at major events or performing at the Super Bowl anymore. lets see how Madonna performs tonight.

I thought it was Steven Tyler doing his best. That's his voice. I didn't like the version, didn't like Aguillar's version, didn't like many. One, not trying to sound unpatriotic, but it's not a great song and it's hard to sing.

Two, Tyler is a rocker, this is outside his reach. Put David Lee Roth on the mic and you'd get the same thing. These guys are rockers, not balladeers [[if the anthem is a ballad, I guess).

Aerosmith is a good ROCK group [[not metal, good classic rock), where Tyler's voice fits that style, just like David Lee Roth [[glad he's rejoined Van Halen, to be honest) fits Van Halen and some solo stuff and not much else. Put them outside their comfort zone and you have problems. Everyone thinks professional musicians should be able to ace the anthem. Why? Lady BlahBlah would butcher it, too.

I think the best version to be honest is the early 80's Marvin Gaye one at the NBA All-Star game. Why? Because Gaye funked it up and made it his own that day. If they had told Marvin, "Sing it in traditional style," it would've stunk.

I vote to not have the anthem at every single sporting event [[it's even at 9th grade basketball games ... please), and have it only for big, big contests, and with singers who can pull it off.

Tyler's version? Not great, but it was Steven Tyler and no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I've noticed since the Janet Jackson Super Bowl fiasco, that no black artists are singing the National Anthem at major events or performing at the Super Bowl anymore. lets see how Madonna performs tonight.
    You noticed wrong. Last year halftime performers were : The Black Eyed Peas, Usher, Slash; 2007: Prince
    National Anthem:
    ASL performed by Wesley Tallent
    XL 2006 Ford Field, Detroit Aaron Neville [[2) and Aretha Franklin,
    Piano accompaniment by Dr. John,
    ASL performed by Angela LaGuardia
    XLI 2007
    XLII 2008 University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale Jordin Sparks
    ASL performed by A Dreamer [[of Phoenix College)

I stand corrected.

It's Steven Tyler...you get what you pay for when you bring in a guy like him!

The problem is, a lot of popular music singers seem to have the mindset that you have to do something special with the anthem [[like what Tyler did with the stretching of the word 'free')...when, in reality, you don't. Just sing it as is...it's a hard enough song to sing without further embellishing [[though, if you've got the soul of Marvin, you can probably get away with injecting a little soul into it).

Hey, it could've been worse...we could've had to hear Carl Lewis or Roseanne do it again!!

Best,

Mark