[REMOVE ADS]

Johnny Otis R.I.P.

Maestro Johnny Otis--bandleader, drummer, singer, vibraphonist, rhythm and blues music producer and promoter--born in Vallejo, CA on Dec. 28, 1921; deceased Tuesday, January 17, 2012. Condolences to his family.

He's been ill for awhile. He stopped doing his radio broadcast for KPFA around 5 yrs ago.
    May he rest in peace
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 01-18-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Amazing talent...RIP, Johnny, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

Sorry to hear this.

Johnny, Thanks for all the Great Years of Music you gave us. RIP Johnny

I met him once about 15 yrs ago, found him still incredibly enthusiastic about performing. His book, 'Upside Your Head! Rhythm and Blues on Central Avenue', is a good read on those exciting early days of West Coast R&B. He was also a fine artist, published a book of his paintings.

P-Shark,
    I loved his Saturday KPFA show. He played the 50s, early 60s greats not heard elsewhere.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Otis

Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 01-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.

This is the first I've heard of Johnny Otis in many years. I had long been aware of his talents and contributions. Sad to see him go. Thanks Johnny, God Bless.

Marv

Johnny lived a full life and got a lot of his flowers while he was still with us. He gave so much and he really loved the music.RIP, indeed....

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    I met him once about 15 yrs ago, found him still incredibly enthusiastic about performing. His book, 'Upside Your Head! Rhythm and Blues on Central Avenue', is a good read on those exciting early days of West Coast R&B. He was also a fine artist, published a book of his paintings.

P-Shark,
    I loved his Saturday KPFA show. He played the 50s, early 60s greats not heard elsewhere.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Otis
    He really spoke his mind on the air, didn't he? The man was
    so funny at times. And now today his goddaughter, Etta James joins him. Condolences to
    their families