[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Vocals/After all this time...Reall?

Ok.....I am pissed, slightly irritated. I got the after 1967 crap, and accepted that. And to find out that it was just Diana on Stop!? More Hits was my first record at 12 years old. I dont give a damn about production.....What the hell did they do and what were they thinking....

Maybe that is why I am into solo artists these days..

I am almost tempted to just collect the Hip-o Supreme releases and sell them now......I am thinking they dont mean shit to me.

smark21 Guest
    Though they weren't the only record company to ever do this, to be honest, Motown engaged in deception and consumer fraud.

The injustice of it all; how will you ever manage?

supremes vocals

I manage by ignoring all the crap put on here by newbodies trying to score points for the sake of New Media. I still play my vinyl from time to time and when I hear

"Meet The Supremes" "where did our love go LP' 'the supremes at the copa

'a bit of liverpool' 'we remember sam cooke" supremes a go go, supremes hdh

BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN, NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, YOU KEEP ME HANGIN ON
    LOVE IS HERE, & THE HAPPENING, a breathtaking guy, & Buttered Popcorn...
    I know I am hearing DIANA, MARY & FLO.

anything after that doesn't matter until Jean arrived.

anything after that doesn't matter until Jean arrived

even then, I believe Mary and Cindy were not on all the recordings with Jean or drowned out by The Blossoms[[?) on the Jimmy Webb album. Bah Humbug! It does take away knowing that. But, as they say.....it is what it is.

honest man Guest
    Hello been listening to Tammi's solo motown anthology,is it The Supremes on background on I can't go on without you,sounds like or is it the Vandellas, Marvelettes, Velvelettes.LOL Does it matter all brilliant, get real and appreciate the music for what it is,not for what you want,also i can;t remember the song but i think Johnny Bristol is backing Tammi on some songs, i love this anthology,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I manage by ignoring all the crap put on here by newbodies trying to score points for the sake of New Media. I still play my vinyl from time to time and when I hear

Well now there ya go! Right on Fran!!!

It's nice to know that i'm not the only one who thinks this whole thing with the Andantes has been grossly taken out of proportion! However, I do hear the Andantes on some of the songs on "Right On" and the Undisputed Truth on some of "New Ways.."! But Mary and Cindy were actually getting lead spots by then, so that's enough to make up for it IMO!

smark21 Guest

You left out Barbara Martin, an original Supreme whose voice can be heard on several songs on Meet The Supremes, most prominently the spoken word part of He's 17.

...and especially Country, Western & Pop and Rodgers & Hart!

By mid-1966 I had all their releases. I was thinking earlier today that at least I was able to enjoy their early albums and learn their voices while they were still the original Supremes.

It is disappointing to learn that many of their post-1967 album tracks are not simply The Supremes. Many of those songs are not among my favorites, anyway.

I'm glad that I've always preferred the albums and music recorded while they were still just The Supremes. I will take Liverpool & CW&P over Sunshine and Cream Of The Crap any day.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 01-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Supremes voices

I was making quick points with all the albums that are actually Supremes, yesRogers and Harts are filled with lots of Mary and Flo vocals especially Manhattan,Blue Room, This Can't Be love,, Lover, My heart stood still The CWP is grand also but it has A's sprinkled here and there at least on "Baby Doll" and lets face it the A's sound do enhance the records but a lot of the unreleased stuff esp. from the WDOLG Deluxe set is superb especially tracks on the unreleased tracks like "MY imagination" Flo and Diana really hit it up "I Love You" "Bye Bye Baby Good Bye" More Hits by the Supremes is also a real Supremes vehicle I don't buy the Andantes on any of these tracks at all. I assumed the Andantes are on the Mary Wells tracks He Holds His Own, and Whisper you love me boy, but I read today in the Supremes book by Ribowsky that Mary and Flo and Diana are added to the background of those Mary Wells Tracks. But i really would like to know which tracks Flo and Mary are on in the Reflections album a transitional album aside from What the World needs now. I know Mary and Cindy are on Bah Bah Bah. And yes its seems the A's do dominate one of the best Supremes album of the post Diana Ross era Right on, but at least they are not on "UP the Ladder to the Roof" and later "Stoned Lve' from NWBLS. 'EVERYBODY GOT THE RIGHT WAS AN AWFUL FOLLOWUP PERIOD i would have preferred "You Move Me" the better tracks seem to feature the A's behind Jean [[although I heard that Mary and Cindy are buried on "I got hurt trying to be the only girl" what a fabulous hit bound track.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 01-17-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: missing words

Here's the breakdown of the "Reflections" album...

DIANA, MARY & FLO
    - What The World Needs Now Is Love
    - In And Out Of Love [[the Andantes added to the track)

DIANA, MARY & CINDY
    - Then
    - I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You)
    - Bah-Bah-Bah
    - Up, Up, And Away [[the Andantes added to the track)

DIANA, MARY & MARLENE BARROW
    - Reflections
    - Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart

DIANA & THE ANDANTES
    - Forever Came Today
    - I Can't Make It Alone
    - Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)

DIANA SOLO
    - Ode To Billie Joe

Outtakes from the "Reflections" album:
    - Heaven Must Have Sent You [[Diana, Mary & Cindy)
    - All I Know About You [[Diana, Mary & Flo)
    - Stay In My Lonely Arms [[Diana, Mary & Cindy w/ the Andantes)

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

DIANA, MARY & FLO

DIANA, MARY & CINDY
    - Then
    - Bah-Bah-Bah

- Reflections

DIANA & THE ANDANTES
    - Forever Came Today
    - I Can't Make It Alone

DIANA SOLO
    - Ode To Billie Joe

Now I wish there was a breakdown of all their songs/albums as listed above. I've been a fan of The Supremes since Breath Taking Guy. I am one that I guess you could say, was fooled as to who the actual voices were in the backgrounds of their music. After learning the Andantes were on most all of The Supremes music after '67 explains to me why I always thought it was indeed Mary and Cindy on Diana Ross' albums and thought that they had recorded w/ Diana before the breakup. I don't think it's disappointing to find out whose actually singing backgrounds on these recordings but I think it's good to know who sang what on what songs and find the stories very interesting. I still love mostly all of The Supremes music as well as the music that The Andantes sang on including all the solo artists. I'm also waiting to hear about all the music that The Originals sang on. Like The Supremes, on David Ruffin's first solo My Whole Word Ended, to me it sounded like The Temptations were singing background.

DIANA, MARY & FLO

DIANA, MARY & CINDY
    - Then
    - Bah-Bah-Bah

- Reflections

DIANA & THE ANDANTES
    - Forever Came Today
    - I Can't Make It Alone

DIANA SOLO
    - Ode To Billie Joe

Thanks brad. Now could everyone cut and paste this so we never have to discuss again? kthanksbye.

Mary.......here's a question.

I know you are friends with Mary Wilson.................so, at the time of it's release, did you think Mary Wilson was singing the Johnny Bristol parts of Someday We'll Be Together?

Or did you know all along that it was Johnny?

jobeterob-

When "Someday" was released, I was just a twinkle in Daddy Brewster's eye.

To answer your question: being the foolish 12 year old I once was, I thought ALL of the backgrounds were the Supremes [[I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which Supreme was Diana on the cover of the "Right On" LP.....).

Knowing what we do know, and having become more familiar with Mary's speaking and singing voice over the years, I know Mary Wilson is nowhere on that record.

But to me; does it really matter? Not really. Look, the music of Motown has brought so much happiness to me over the years. It mas made me laugh, made me cry, made me jump for joy. I know it's important to some to say oh, that's Marlene, that's Flo, that's Mary, that's not Mary, but to me, it's truly what's in the grooves that count.

I don't know why Mary and Cindy weren't included on some recordings: maybe it was a matter of cost, maybe it was a matter of logistics, maybe it was a matter of timing; I don't have the answers. But the image they gave; three beautiful, sparkling, fabulous goddesses weighs more than some ooh's and ahh's.

Speaking as a fan, I love Mary Wilson. I love Diana Ross. I am not obsessed with either. When I read the disgusting comments left by others geared towards either women, it pains me. It pains me because we have soldiers overseas losing their lives. We have 21 people still missing on a cruise ship that went awry. We have jobless parents and homeless children all over the United States that tonight will go to bed cold and hungry. And the best some people on this forum and others can do is call Diana Ross a drunk or Mary Wilson a bitch. It makes no sense to me. I can't imagine what has happened in their lives to make them so angry, and ugly. It makes no sense that so much time and energy can be so ill-directed. Maybe the world is filled with hateful, spiteful people. I guess I am fortunate that I don't surround myself with these people. I am fortunate that I have my health, a job, my family, a warm bed, my friends, and a little bit of money in my savings account. And because I have all of these things to be thankful for, I, in turn, am able to pay it forward. I write a check when I can. I volunteer as much as I can. I am trying to leave a footprint I can be proud of, because I believe this it IT for me. One time. One chance. I don't want to be remembered as the bitter betty that found perverse pleasure on picking on some senior citizens.

So here it is: when you call Diana Ross a drunk, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with addiction and made mistakes. Your Mom. Your sister. Your aunt. When you call Diana Ross that, you are calling all of them out. And when you call Mary Wilson a bitch, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with being abused and losing a child. Your best friend. Your cousin. Your niece. When you call Mary Wilson out, you are calling all of them out.

I used to get so angry while driving when someone would cut me off, or tail me going 100 miles an hour. But then, clear as day, it dawned on me: what if that person is in a rush to hear their spouses last breath. Or what if that person is in a rush to console their daughter who just had a miscarriage. Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, where is the right to call anyone anything other than human?

Be well. That is all. Did that answer your question?
    Last edited by marybrewster; 01-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    jobeterob-

To answer your question: being the foolish 12 year old I once was, I thought ALL of the backgrounds were the Supremes [[I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which Supreme was Diana on the cover of the "Right On" LP.....).

Knowing what we do know, and having become more familiar with Mary's speaking and singing voice over the years, I know Mary Wilson is nowhere on that record.

But to me; does it really matter? Not really. Look, the music of Motown has brought so much happiness to me over the years. It mas made me laugh, made me cry, made me jump for joy. I know it's important to some to say oh, that's Marlene, that's Flo, that's Mary, that's not Mary, but to me, it's truly what's in the grooves that count.

I don't know why Mary and Cindy weren't included on some recordings: maybe it was a matter of cost, maybe it was a matter of logistics, maybe it was a matter of timing; I don't have the answers. But the image they gave; three beautiful, sparkling, fabulous goddesses weighs more than some ooh's and ahh's.

Speaking as a fan, I love Mary Wilson. I love Diana Ross. I am not obsessed with either. When I read the disgusting comments left by others geared towards either women, it pains me. It pains me because we have soldiers overseas losing their lives. We have 21 people still missing on a cruise ship that went awry. We have jobless parents and homeless children all over the United States that tonight will go to bed cold and hungry. And the best some people on this forum and others can do is call Diana Ross a drunk or Mary Wilson a bitch. It makes no sense to me. I can't imagine what has happened in their lives to make them so angry, and ugly. It makes no sense that so much time and energy can be so ill-directed. Maybe the world is filled with hateful, spiteful people. I guess I am fortunate that I don't surround myself with these people. I am fortunate that I have my health, a job, my family, a warm bed, my friends, and a little bit of money in my savings account. And because I have all of these things to be thankful for, I, in turn, am able to pay it forward. I write a check when I can. I volunteer as much as I can. I am trying to leave a footprint I can be proud of, because I believe this it IT for me. One time. One chance. I don't want to be remembered as the bitter betty that found perverse pleasure on picking on some senior citizens.

So here it is: when you call Diana Ross a drunk, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with addiction and made mistakes. Your Mom. Your sister. Your aunt. When you call Diana Ross that, you are calling all of them out. And when you call Mary Wilson a bitch, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with being abused and losing a child. Your best friend. Your cousin. Your niece. When you call Mary Wilson out, you are calling all of them out.

I used to get so angry while driving when someone would cut me off, or tail me going 100 miles an hour. But then, clear as day, it dawned on me: what if that person is in a rush to hear their spouses last breath. Or what if that person is in a rush to console their daughter who just had a miscarriage. Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, where is the right to call anyone anything other than human?

Preach marybrewster. Your posting is on point and 120% true. Thank you for saying this.

Bless you.

Roberta

Excellent post, MaryBrewster!! Thank you!

You are a wonderful person Mary. I'm gonna cut and paste that one occasionally. Mary Wilson is proud to call you her friend I am sure.

That was such a great post.............I wanna ask somewhere else what you seem to be referring to about Right On.

jobeterob-

Mary, what beautiful words and how true they are. We all have to remember to come from a place of love - I'm definitely including myself here. We create our own reality! And we need to be the change we want to see.

Hugs

Good for you, Mary. When I saw the DWI arrest tape for the first time a few weeks ago, I felt really sorry for DR. Show business is not easy and once you hit the top there is nowhere to go but down. I wouldn't want to be famous. I think the world is a much more interesting place with Diana Ross in it.

selinasian Guest

DIANA, MARY & FLO

DIANA, MARY & CINDY
    - Then
    - Bah-Bah-Bah

- Reflections

DIANA & THE ANDANTES
    - Forever Came Today
    - I Can't Make It Alone

DIANA SOLO
    - Ode To Billie Joe

Thanks bradsupremes. Where do you get this info from? Insider knowledge, from reading books and liner notes or from listening to the tracks? I can generally tell whether I hear Mary on a track, but find it more difficult to nail Flo's vocals.

Mary, thanks for your words!

Nice piece, Mary. You have always been a blessing to this forum.

I totally aggree, we are all here becasue of our affection for Motown, the music, the stars and what it means to each of us as individuals. Lets just enjoy the music as it was intended for us to hear, and not pull it apart along with those who made it, to be fair the majority of what we talk about is 40 years old and there is nothing we can do to change what happenen back then. Lets be greatful that we are still getting new[[from the vaults) and re-released music we love in 2012. X

Andy and George and Harry have done such a great job on those reissues.

And I know Mary B. has expressed the sentiments of everyone so well. Mary has done a wonderful deed for this Forum.

spreading love

Mary b keep spreadin love, because your words were heartfelt we certainly need more love in the world, and you helped lift our spirits. Fran

Well, you can make excuses for bad drivers all you want, but most likely, the reason someone cuts you off in traffic is because they can, and they don't care.

Other than that, Amen! There are more important things in the world to be concerned about than who did or didn't sing on a Supremes record.

Later!

uptight Guest
    Motown created a product that people could enjoy and dream about, a means of escapism for the listeners. Much like Hollywood movie productions using stunt doubles in action scenes or butt doubles in love scenes, the record producer does what he can to crank out the best product under the time and budget constraints. Do you think Jermaine and Tito are playing on all those Jackson 5 records? You have studio musicians [[like the Andantes or Funk Brothers) do what they do best. And you have the touring band do what they do best, perform on stage. It was how the system worked in general. Artists still make most of their from public appearances. And the records didn't always represent who they were in person. Ms. Ross herself says The Supremes were a product. And Motown wasn't do anything the other major record companies weren't doing in many regards.

These companies were happy to provide a service that we fans were happy to pay for. Personally, I view new information about these background players as fun trivia. I also enjoy learning the behind-the-scenes info about the movie-making process when watching bonus features on a DVD.

Movies and records are all illusions using "smoke and mirrors," put together for our enjoyment. But in this new millennium, you can't be too insulted to learn a little bit about out how things were assembled technically. You can't be too mad at it. It is what it is...

I remember when she was a kid in the Supremes, she said they had doubles for everybody but her...................little did we know what she was talking about.

But in concert, it's true...........it was magic.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Ok.....I am pissed, slightly irritated. I got the after 1967 crap, and accepted that. And to find out that it was just Diana on Stop!? More Hits was my first record at 12 years old. I dont give a damn about production.....What the hell did they do and what were they thinking....
    I agree with you but for Motown it was clear that the Supremes weren't a real group [[like the Pointer Sisters were in the 70/80's) but a singer [[in this case Ross, and very soon, way before "When did our love go") with her background vocalists and that the background vocalists weren't that important. And, after they stay in the Supremes, those girls didn't had real careers. It was about Diana Ross and it always had. Motown wasn't honest but the majority of fans didn't mind apparently: Supremes records were [[and still are) big sellers whomsoever sings, as long as Diana Ross is one of them.