[REMOVE ADS]

Unhappy We Lost Jimmy Castor

What a shock! Was listening to his music last week
    RIP Jimmy Castor
    http://citysound.bohemian.com/2012/01/16/remembering-jimmy-castor/

Jimmy was one of my favorites growing up. A very talented guy and a lot of fun. He was one of those that is "forever young" in my memory and will be missed. Thank you Jimmy. Man, you were one of the absolute best!

Marv

Hi this is Kev-Lo I'm so sorry to hear this I was listening to him in my iPod. I seen him years ago live and he was great. R.I.P. Jimmy Thanks for the great memories

His recordings always seemed to have been made with a huge grin. Always seemed fun...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Castor. Your mama... she's calling you!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    His recordings always seemed to have been made with a huge grin. Always seemed fun...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Castor. Your mama... she's calling you!
    That is exactly what I was thinking of after I made my post. "Hey Leroy......[[What?!)..... Yo mama calling you....." LOL!

Leroy became a popular theme with him

I just heard this news over the radio. I was just a kid when "Hey Leroy" came out. Jimmy lived at that time in the Bronx near where I was living at the time. He and his Band were popular in the Tri-state area [[N.Y. ,N.J. and Conn.) and played at dances that my parents went to. Back when you had live bands instead of records providing the music. In the early 70's he came back with that same kind of dance music ,updated and on record. His "Just Begun" is a Classic track and is one of the most important recordings of the "Pre Disco" era and the source of the sample for many Hip-Hop tracks. He combined Island ,Jazz ,Funk and R&B into an unique style.
    Thank you Mr Jimmy Castor , R.I.P.

An hour long audio interview with Jimmy, courtesy of Shawn... he details his list of hits, the impact he made, and how he feels he is being shunned by the 'new media' MTV generation...he talks of his formal musical education, his creative and producing competencies, and how the record industry discourages self production and creativity.... he isn't bitter, just regretful that he and especially his band members didn't get the recognition they deserved through their track record.... and yet there is still great support amongst the people....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg63RsTsuuA

http://turntabletreats.com/Audio/jc1.m3u
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 01-17-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Very sorry to hear this - still love Bertha Butt Boogie. I always felt he never got quite the level of recognition he deserved and now, of course, it's too late.

Whenever I hear his name, I smile. Rest In Peace My Brother!!

I shall play " Troglodyte" and "The Bertha Butt Boogie" in his honor.

I was shocked and sadden when I heard that he passed away. Thanks to Classic Master for informing me about his untimely passing. I just ran across this article that explains his cause of death. Jimmy also had a website. May the E man rest in peace ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

http://www.jimmycastor.com/

My condolences go out to his loved ones.

I'm saddened to hear of the loss of Jimmy Castor. I remember seeing him back in the day and he was always fun to see and listen to. Like James Brown, Jimmy was a master of syncopation [[forgive the spelling). His music will live on and he will never be forgotten.

Just heard about this via Facebook and posted three songs there in his honor...I always enjoyed his music immensely. RIP, Jimmy, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

Like others grew up with Jimmy, such an inspiration, may He Rest in Peace and Condolences to Family.