[REMOVE ADS]

ALVIN CASH and groups history

Alvin Cash began his singing career backed by the Crawlers on three earlier releases and then the backing was changed to the Registers for the next three releases and eventually ended up releasing three singles with no background singers. Were the Crawlers the same as the Registers? Why was the name changed? Any expert knowledge available?

Expert I'm not but I do know The Crawlers became the Registers due to Alvin simply changing the group name. I guess
    the Crawler name just was too much a reminder of his tap beginnings with his brothers who he later turned away from
    too. I know too that he worked a bit with Andre Williams, together producing Twine Time and someone told me years ago
    Alvin was on Andre's Bacon Fat, one of my all time favorite early R&B tunes. I'm sure there's more info available online
    somewhere. I'm just glad to see Alvin mentioned anywhere in this day and time....

As stated above, Alvin Cash started out performing with his brothers, who went by the name of the Crawlers. The Crawlers were dancers not singers or musicians but the outfit was well known around the St Louis [[& then Chicago) club scene as A.C. & the Crawlers [[they had debuted in St Louis clubs in 1960).
    I'd guess because of this established profile, the early 45's featured Alvin with studio musicians & the records were credited to A.C & the Crawlers. On later 45's their name was changed to Alvin Cash & the Registers [[cash ... cash registers ... so Registers).
    I do not know if a set of Registers that performed on a regular basis outside of the studio was established at that time or not. It's written that St Louis outfit the Nitelighters became the 1st touring version of the 'Registers' but I don't know if that is actually true.
    The Crawlers carried on without Alvin, renaming themselves as the Little Step Brothers.
    I'm sure that when Alvin toured the UK [[doing club dates around 1966), he was with & billed as Alvin Cash & the Crawlers when his 45's here [[in the 60's) had all been released as by Alvin Cash & the Registers -- this caused some confusion with British 45 buyers at the time. His biggie in the UK back then was "The Philly Freeze".
    A UK 45 credited to Alvin Cash & the Crawlers [[an oldie) was put out here in the 70's though.

I have the 1968 Toddlin' Town 45 of "Keep On Dancin" ,which is credited to ALVIN CASH and The Scott Bros Orch. Who were the Scott Bros???

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Scott Brothers were a Chicago Group, who started out as The Masquerades for Don Talty's Formal Records in 1962. They also recorded for USA Records in 1964, Smash Records in 1965 [[Detroit recording), Zachron Records in 1966, and worked for Toddlin' Town Records after that. I seem to remember that Howard Scott was the moving force of the group. I think they had 5 different brothers in the group at different times [[four of them together most of the time). They were recording all through the 1970s as well.

I remember reading in Soul Magazine in very early 70's that Alvin Cash indentified himself as James Brown to get on a flight. I think this also ran in Jet Magazine.I don't remember all the particulars.I just remember at the time at being very shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Scott Brothers were a Chicago Group, who started out as The Masquerades for Don Talty's Formal Records in 1962. They also recorded for USA Records in 1964, Smash Records in 1965 [[Detroit recording), Zachron Records in 1966, and worked for Toddlin' Town Records after that. I seem to remember that Howard Scott was the moving force of the group. I think they had 5 different brothers in the group at different times [[four of them together most of the time). They were recording all through the 1970s as well.
    Thanks for the info Robb !!!

I think the 1st 45 to make mention of the Registers was "The Barracuda" which was still credited to A.C. & the Crawlers but with the added note 'featuring the Registers Band'.
    Here is Alvin & the Crawlers on a US TV show back in 1965 ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1WZ6asXpk
    Alvin toured with his brothers in 1965, as this billing for June 65 shows ......
    Attachment 4173

Willie Henderson [[musician, record producer, label owner, etc) posts on Facebook -- he's over in Turkey at the moment backing up Syl Johnson on some gigs.
    Anyway, he posted a video from Alvin up there & stated that .........
    ... David Henderson, Warren [[Hamm) Haygood, Willie Henderson and Sydney Pinchback toured with Alvin as the Register's when he had his 1st hit.
    NOW ....... not a lot of people know that !!!