[REMOVE ADS]

Who backed Dee Dee Sharp on her hit records

Did the Orlons back Dee Dee Sharp on her early 1960's hit records.
    and whatever happened to the Orlons, i recently saw them on Channel 13 singing "Don't Hang Up, was their a rivalry between the two acts.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  21.1 KB
    Perhaps The Orlons were one of the female groups backing Dee Dee on some of her Cameo cuts. I imagine that Kenny Gamble used his own Romeos to provide the male backing on several of her recordings. I'm not sure who Kal Mann used for backgrounds [[on her earlier cuts).

I´m sure that she has on her atlantic records the "Sweet Inspirations" on backround vocals "Help me find my groove" or "a woman will do wrong"

The Orlons ladies did back Dee Dee on Mashed Potato Time but I think the others were the same grandmotherly women that backed Bobby Rydell ect. No, Dee Dee was friends with the Orlons & the other Cameo/Parkway acts.A Woman Will Do Wrong was recorded in Memphis per Dee Dee so I don't know who the backgrounds were.Dee Dee does have a Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    The Orlons ladies did back Dee Dee on Mashed Potato Time but I think the others were the same grandmotherly women that backed Bobby Rydell ect. No, Dee Dee was friends with the Orlons & the other Cameo/Parkway acts.A Woman Will Do Wrong was recorded in Memphis per Dee Dee so I don't know who the backgrounds were.Dee Dee does have a Facebook page.
    She does have a facebook page. Just search fb for Dee Dee Sharp

Where's Randy???????

From the notes for my Best Of Cameo/Parkway collection Dee Dee was backed by [[hold on to your hats)
    The Artistics, The Dreamlovers, The Orlons, The Persianettes, The Sherrys, Thom Bell, Eddie Custis, Vivian Dix, Kenny
    Gamble, Vivian Jackson, H. Johnson, Raun Mackinnon, Jim Meely, Sandy Person, Cindy Scot, Charlotte Walker,Willa Ward,
    Lillian Washington,Elfay Willis and Mary Wiley....
    Okay, I don't know who The Romeos were, so maybe Robb can tell me if he recognises any of their names among the
    folks I just listed and 2) The Orlons are the only ones I can I-D on Dee Dee's songs. I've been told they were used at
    Cameo the same way the Cookies were at Dimension, they backed a number of artists...

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Artistics backed her up on her recordings made in Chicago produced by Carl Davis[[i.e. "Standing in The Need of Love", etc. Kal Mann and Kenny Gamble used all those Philadelphia artists.

H. Johnson was Herb Johnson. I only recognise Kenny Gamble as one of Philadelphia's Romeos [[different from Detroit's Romeos-of Lamont Dozier). I don't remember Jim Meely being in that group.

Formed 1959, Philadelphia, U.S.A.
    The Romeos' group comprised of:
    Kenny Gamble [[b. 11th August 1943, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.)
    Thom Bell [[b. 1941, Philadelphia, Pennslyvania, U.S.A.)
    Roland Chambers [[guitar) b.1944 d.8th May 2002
    Karl Chambers [[drums) d. 24th February 2002
    and Winnie Walford [[bass).
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-15-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Willa Ward was Clara Ward's sister and a member of the Ward Singers gospel group. In her book, Willa wrote that she and Clara did backup on some of Dee Dee's early recordings.
    Last edited by reese; 01-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Those are all correct! Uncredited, however, in the 70s are the Tymes singing backups on Dee Dee's GREAT rendition of
    the Five Stairsteps' hit, "Ooh Child", from her Happy 'Bout The Whole Thing lp on the TSOP label.