[REMOVE ADS]

Favorite productions by artists for other artists

I was listening to the Originals' in my car yesterday ("The Bells" and "Baby, I'm For Real") and I so loved the production by Marvin Gaye.

So, naturally, I started to think about some more of my favorite productions by artists who also produced for other artists while at Motown. Stevie Wonder came to mind with "It's a Shame" by the Spinners.

What are some of yours?

I intentionally left off Smokey because he did so many productions for others that it would take a while for me to pick my favorites.

Diana Ross - Kewpie Doll (Smokey Robinson)
    Diana Ross - It's Hard for Me to Say (Luther Vandross)
    The Supremes - Bad Weather (Stevie Wonder)
    Aretha Franklin - Jump to It (Luther Vandross)
    Aretha Franklin - A Rose is Still a Rose (Lauryn Hill)
    Patti LaBelle - Yo, Mister (Prince)
    Millie Jackson - Something You Can Feel (Gerald Levert and Eddie Levert)
    The Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again (Curtis Mayfield)

These are just the tip of the iceberg.

I know you asked for Motown examples Gary, but since you didn't put the thread in the Motown section , that makes it fair game , so I'll fudge a little and meet you half-way:

Don't know why this came to me of all things , but i do think it's an excellent example of someone putting their personal stamp on a project and making it work for someone else (in this case someone you'd least expect) :

(Rick James and Eddie Murphy of course)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; Today at 04:53 PM.

Of intra-Motown production collabs, for my money, Stevie takes the cake with this joint:

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I know you asked for Motown examples Gary, but since you didn't put the thread in the Motown section , that makes it fair game , so I'll fudge a little and meet you half-way:

Don't know why this came to me of all things , but i do think it's an excellent example of someone putting their personal stamp on a project and making it work for someone else (in this case someone you'd least expect) :

(Rick James and Eddie Murphy of course)
    I, for some reason, keep forgetting to post in the correct forum lately. So you are right; it's fair game.