[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Labelle

Labelle

This is actually an extension thread from one that started in the DRATS forum. Anyone have any questions for a guy who has been a Labelle historian for decades? I'll be happy to answer anything I can as long as it isn't about their private personal lives.

I have every Labelle album. They got better with each release. Sometimes Patti's voice could be a bit too nasal but Nona & Sarah had a calming affect. Of course Nona's writing is what made them very special and different from the rest. Loved their comeback album too. Met Nona & Vicki in NYC in 1999 after a great performance. Nona's solo career should have been massive. C'est la vie!

Vicki is awesome. What show did you see in 1999?

This is the clip that changed my life and made me a fan of Labelle for life:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMqpAT0ubE

It was Sept 1999 at the venue below Time Cafe in Lafayette Street. I have forgotten the name.

Joe's Pub?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Joe's Pub?
    I saw Sarah at Joe's Pub a few years back. She was very good. I also caught the Labelle reunion shows at the Apollo and the Beacon, meeting them briefly after the latter. I've seen Patti in concert many times.

I was at the Apollo show--what a nightmare. I had to fly home to TX the next day so I couldn't stay for the make up show. Uhg.

Did they replace Cindy after she left for the Supremes or did they permanently continue as a trio the moment she left?

I adore Labelle. I was introduced to the trio on the great Ellis Hazlip PBS show Soul! and immediately bought the first lp, and every one thereafter. Their concerts were a great joy and inspiration and each-and-every lp superb. What more to say? Glorious women, glorious talents.

Hi Guys--Patti, Nona and Sarah interviewed a few singers in 1967 but never found the right "fit." After that they realized they didn't really need a 4th voice.

I became OBSESSED with Labelle in the mid-90s around the time "Something Silver" was issued. I already had "Nightbirds" and "Chameleon" Then I got the first two albums when released on CD by Wounded Bird. Then I got "Pressure Cookin" and "Phoenix" on used vinyl.

The majesty of their vocal sound is unparalleled. I am not a fan of every song but their catalog is phenomenal. I actually felt great pain that I had never experienced them perform live as a group during the time they were recording.

So when "Back To Now" came out, I made sure I was fifth row at the Los Angeles reunion show at what is now the Microsoft Theater. I enjoyed the show but it really felt like a Patti LaBelle show. They didn't quite conjure the vocal magic or drama of "Can I Speak To You..." Sarah's piercing soprano did not show up that evening. Also, I didn't know that the LaBelle songs I love were the ones they were least likely to sing live. Still, I'm glad I got to see them.

I'll be happy to answer anything I can as long as it isn't about their private personal lives.
    ???!!!!! Well that's disappointing. Just as we were trying to pinpoint when Nona Hendryx came out as queer. I mean if "Going Down Makes Me Shiver" is not about what we all know it is about then what is it about? And why did Patti decide she was done singing lesbian love songs?

Hi Guys--Patti, Nona and Sarah interviewed a few singers in 1967 but never found the right "fit." After that they realized they didn't really need a 4th voice.
    Is is true that they stopped their search after a drag queen auditioned?