Info from SoulTracks.com:

Today we say a sad goodbye to Arther "Pooch" Tavares of the legendary group Tavares, who has died of ALS at age 74. Pooch's deep baritone anchored a decade of hits for the family group Tavares and made their brotherly harmonies so special.

Pooch's wife Gini posted on social media: To all our friends and family. After a courageous battle with ALS, Pooch passed this Monday night [4/15/24]. I feel peace in my heart knowing he no longer suffers. I want to thank family and friends for their love and visits while he was able to enjoy them. The funeral information will be published when it's ready, so please respect my private grieving time at home. A ringing phone 24/7 is overwhelming now. Thank you. -Gini

Longtime SoulTrackers know that Tavares was the first act we ever profiled on SoulTracks, in large part because of my personal affection for the group. And I've had the chance to speak with Pooch several times, including when I interviewed him for the liner notes of the reissue of the group's second album, Hard Core Poetry. More casual fans will recognize Pooch for his leads on a few Tavares songs, such as "Penny For Your Thoughts," "Love Calls," "Right Back In Your Arms," and "Never Say Never Again."

In my interactions with Pooch, he was always been both kind and humble about his accomplishments. And those accomplishments are many. The five brothers from New Bedford, Massachusetts - Ralph, Tiny, Chubby, Butch and Pooch - arguably created the most consistently high quality soul music of the 70s and early 80s.

Read Full Article Here:
Tavares founding member Arthur "Pooch" Tavares dies after ALS battle | SoulTracks - Soul Music Biographies, News and Reviews