[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supremes "At Their Best" and "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics"

A question about these releases:

Does anyone know why "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" is absent from both?

Oh wow. Really? I never even noticed that...

Maybe because it was pretty poor.

luke, you're right. It did chart poorly, but it did chart. I think there was talk once that the "GHRC" was going to be a double CD set, and at the 11th hour, it was changed to a single disc. And in an effort to bring out more "rare classics" "YWSSL" was traded for something else, maybe "The Sha-La Bandit"?

Still don't know why it wasn't included in "At Their Best". I think that was only a 10 track set.

I may have posted something like this a long time ago. I can't speak for "At Their Best" but I didn't use YWSSL on Greatest Hits And Rare Classics because originally the CD had the biggest hits and the rest were all unreleased tunes. At the very last minute Motown told me they had to cancel the release because all unreleased tunes were on hold. The disc had already been mastered and they weren't willing to spend any more studio time. Someone said they would just do a straight reissue of "At Their Best" and that would be the end of it. I BEGGED for one more day and quickly replaced the unreleased songs with rare LP tracks. I avoided most tracks from the first four Jean albums because I knew we were about to reissue them on CD. I was told "no" to the Jimmy Webb album and all of the albums that followed. I love YWSSL but I had to decide [[fast) between one of the other tracks that may never be on CD and a song I knew was going to be available on CD soon. That's also why I chose the mono single mixes of the hits, and alternates of "Everybody's Got The Right To Love", "Automatically Sunshine", "Bad Weather", "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking", "You're My Driving Wheel" and maybe a few others. I tried hard to make every single track a rarity in one way or another because who knew if we'd ever get another release on the 70's Supremes? How wonderful [[and sweet, sweet) that several years later we've been able to do much more.
    One more note of interest...Many have wondered why Diana Ross and The Supremes Superstar Series featured eight Supremes on the cover but the music was all from the sixties. Andy and I just found the original LP master and side two originally featured songs from the seventies era, so all of the ladies would have been represented. We have no idea why they changed it at the last minute. Another Motown mystery!

thanks George. do u know if there was an alternate take of YWSSL? when i saw them perform it live it always had a faster pace and i liked it better....but i liked the original also.thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Many have wondered why Diana Ross and The Supremes Superstar Series featured eight Supremes on the cover but the music was all from the sixties. Andy and I just found the original LP master and side two originally featured songs from the seventies era, so all of the ladies would have been represented. We have no idea why they changed it at the last minute. Another Motown mystery!
    Thanks George! I always wondered the same thing. It was one of those lingering unanswered questions in my mind...so I'm happy we know the answer now.

They changed it most likely because "somebody" wanted to get paid more..........hehehehe!

George, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your response, and give you BIG THANKS for your quick thinking in making the "GH&RC" CD a gem. Of all the Supremes releases we've gotten over the years, it truly is one of my favorites; in fact, I'm on my second copy!

Now if I can ask; how were you able to clear Jean's "I Had to Fall in Love"? Was there ever any consideration of Mary's "Red Hot"?

Cheers to you.

Thanks Mary. After all these years, I really like this disc and the cassette.
    There was an unreleased solo Mary track on the set that had to come off. We had the master of The Supremes 75 LP right in the studio and I liked "You Turn Me Around". I chose it over "Where Is It I Belong". I really wanted Mary to be represented and there wasn't time to order additional tapes.
    Jean's song wasn't a problem. It was on the collection from the start and had already been cleared. I was happy [[and surprised) that Motown was willing to lease it from A&M.

If it wasn't for the Supremes loyal and very vocal fans I don't think we'd be getting the new releases. Keep the comments coming. I can't believe how many fans keep commenting and pushing for new releases. Or is it just the same six over and over? :-) Whatever the case, it's working. Hey, when I was a kid I called our local radio station about 200 times to request "Surrender" using as many different voices as I could. And that wasn't easy for a kid whose voice hadn't changed yet! But, "Surrender" got added to the playlist!

George,also, thank you for responding. i have a copy of GHARC in my car and in the computer. anyway, is there anything you can tell us about the 1973 Frank Wilson sessions? i know there was another song called REMOTE CONTROL that sounded pretty good. i always liked the FW and Supremes .he did good by them.
    is there any song you have heard[unreleased] that really caught you ear and you thought it should have been a single? i thought that CANT GET YOU OUT OF MY MIND was a strong contender. there were some good songs from the PROMISES KEPT sessions [imo]. im kinda of surprised motown did add Bad Weather to it and release it in 1973 or at least a Hits lp since Jean left later that year

George, thank you !

from deep in the Motown forum archives some additional info originally shared about GH&RC by George.

Hi Paul,

I checked in with George who is unable to respond on SDF at the moment, but asked me if I'd post an email response he had posted on one of the boards a few years ago answering some questions.

I'd like to add that it was George who first re-discovered the Diana Ross - Blue - tapes when doing Motown's first box set on Marvin Gaye. He is a good friend who still often consults on many projects. His knowledge of Motown/Ross/Supremes is incredible!

And now from George Solomon:
    I pitched the idea of Greatest Hits and Rare Classics to be collections of hits, unreleased and rare tracks from artists that didn’t have a CD compilation on the market. My main interest was releasing a great compilation on the 70’s Supremes. I got approval to go ahead with each CD except The Supremes. I was told that they didn’t feel there was enough sales potential in the 70’s group and we would just do a straight reissue of the 10 song vinyl collection, “At Their Best”. After much pleading on my part I finally got a green light on the 70’s group. With each CD, I was told I could have only two photos and no liner notes. [[I was eventually allowed one paragraph per CD).
    The first 3 to be mastered were Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston and The Supremes. [[All containing several songs from the vaults) As we were finishing the Supremes master, a memo was issued stating that NO UNRELEASED MATERIAL COULD BE ISSUED. I was told the finished masters had to be scrapped and we could only proceed with the remaining artists using only released material. Once again, I lost my Supremes collection. Again, I pleaded, if I could re-master the CD’s in ONE DAY replacing the unreleased tracks with other rarities could we proceed? [[I believe, I was on my knees at the time.) The results are the released CD’s. With the Supremes, I had such a hard time choosing tracks that I varied the CD and the cassette. This wasn’t a ploy to make people have to buy both. It was for the fans who would WANT to have both. The casual buyer wouldn’t care as long as they got the hits they wanted. As with every collection many fans questioned the track list. Remember, that “Right On” “Touch” and “Floy Joy” were already issued on CD and I just got approval to do “New Ways”, so I used very few tracks from those LP’s. I got a definite “no” on Jimmy Webb and all of the remaining albums [[with the exception of MAYBE “High Energy”). That is how I chose the tracks.
    I really liked this collection and I’d like to thank everyone for the mostly very positive feedback. And by the way, The Supremes and Rare Earth were the biggest sellers in the whole series.

If you care, here is the original track list for the Supremes master that still sits in the Motown vaults.

Original Greatest Hits and Rare Classics
    All tracks or mixes available on CD for the first time [[1991)

Up the Ladder [[mono mix)
    Life Beats [[mono mix) *
    Everybody’s Got The Right [[alt vocal mono mix) *
    Stoned Love [[mono mix)
    Nathan Jones [[mono mix)
    If I Were Your Woman *
    Floy Joy [[unedited) *
    Automatically Sunshine [[alternate) *
    Remote Control *
    Make It With You *
    Never Can Say Goodbye *
    Tossin' & Turnin' [[edit) *
    Paradise *
    Love Train [[remix) *
    Bad Weather [[ext fade) *
    I Had To Fall In Love [[edit)-Jean *
    The Shoop Shoop Song *
    The Sha La Bandit [[alternate) *
    Bend A Little *
    I’m Gonna Let My Heart [[alternate) *
    You’re My Driving Wheel [[alt edit) *
    Another Life From Now-Scherrie
    You Danced My Heart Around The Stars-Mary *

• unreleased track or mix

Thanks for caring – George Solomon

Hi guys,

I emailed George again, [[who is on a cruise in Hawaii, and therefore not able to respond on the site in a timely manner). Again, his response is below. Many of the cassette versions were used on other collections since, because we knew the cassette would become more of a rarity as time goes on. One of the items he didn't mention is the extended "Floy Joy," from the cassette edition which we used on the Supremes 40th Anniversary Box Set.

I would like to add one final thought, the people George worked with at Motown back then are not the same people Harry or myself work with today.

and now, FROM GEORGE SOLOMON:
    Here are the tracks that were different on the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette.

EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE - The CD had an alternate mono mix with a completely different lead vocal by Jean. The cassette version had yet another mono mix with the released vocal. The cassette version can now be found on "The Supremes 70's Anthology". I feel both of these mono single mixes were superior to the one that was released. This record could have been much bigger.
    There is still yet another mono single mix of this song in the vaults that combines both of Jean's vocals.

TOUCH - The cassette included an alternate mono single mix. Listen for Cindy's alternate "Oh baby" after the first verse. Also, Cindy's "Talk to me, talk to me" was eliminated from this mix and Jean's vocal was punched out at the fade. This mix is still unavailable any place else. I personally didn't like any of the mono single mixes of "Touch". This was another great record that I think failed because of an inferior single mix and edit.

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - I believe I used the released LP mix on the cassette. The CD had an alternate mono extended mix. The full stereo alternate mix can be found on "The 70's Anthology".

IT'S ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE & WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE - Both were on the cassette but not on the CD. Both were the LP mixes. The single mix of "Where Do I Go From Here" is still unavailable on CD and there is an alternate lead vocal by Scherrie on "It's All Been Said Before" still in the vaults.

HIGH ENERGY - This was a single edit of a mix that eventually came out in its entirety on "The 70's Anthology". The original lead vocal by Scherrie is still unreleased.

YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL - I used the alternate promo lead vocal, which has since come out on CD on the Supremes Box and The Supremes Gold.

LET YOURSELF GO - This was an alternate [[and in my opinion) much better single edit than the released version.

FLY - Scherrie's solo single wasn't included on the CD. Instead I used "Another Life From Now".

I still stand by my decision to vary the CD and cassette and I think most of the fans were happy about it. The Motown execs were not! Even though they signed off on both versions [[I couldn't get anything released without a signature on the track list) they became upset when some retailers complained about the differences. I wasn't "fired" because I was never officially a Motown employee but in truth it did compromise my position. It was very difficult in the early 90's. [[I think Andy would agree it's still often difficult) to get things done exactly the way you know they should be.

One funny story....I produced a "Best Of The Supremes & 4 Tops" CD. When I went to approve the artwork I found a picture of Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations on the cover. [[It was the back photo of TCB) When I gently pointed out that not only was it the wrong group of Supremes but the wrong male group all together, I was told that I was being overly picky and no one would notice that but me! Ultimately, I got it changed, but these are the little "challenges" that came up constantly. So, even today when you see these little mistakes on the reissue's you better believe that it wasn't Andy, Harry or myself being negligent. Sometimes these things just slip through the cracks and we get as frustrated as you do. I'm just really very happy that there is still an audience for these wonderful recordings and there are still great releases yet to come!

thanks Glen. have to find my casette copy of this collection so i can listen to TOUCH again.

How do SDF folk feel about a single CD and the equivalent cassette version containing the same songs but at the same time very different version.

? a new remastered version? with the cassette versions? yes or a LOST AND FOUND 70s? would have liked to hear the SHOOOP SHOOP SONG!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    How do SDF folk feel about a single CD and the equivalent cassette version containing the same songs but at the same time very different version.
    It's OK if you know about it. If you don't know and miss a version, it's annoying.

cant find my cassette version.darn.

Thanks for finding that old post. Wow, I can't believe I wrote all of that!
    To the best of my recollection, "Remote Control" was produced by Hal Davis, not Frank Wilson. There is an interesting Jean track that I believe Frank produced called "Traveling Light". I know fans have talked about this track before on the boards. Interesting because it was one of her last...if not THE last session at Motown and the lyric refers to her moving on, doing things her way from now on etc.
    Motown planned two Greatest Hits LP's on The Supremes and Diana Ross around the same time. I think it was summer of 1973. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the date. [[I know you will!) Both albums were called "Gold". I'm sure The Supremes LP would have contained "Bad Weather".

George, you are a wealth of motown and supreme info, lucky for us! you should consider writing a book on the supremes, especially about the music aspect of it. or maybe a blog? to bad they didnt release the Gold lp. i enjoy the AT THEIR BEST but, it seems odd having the two different lead singers sometimes. almost like another era but i suppose that is how i hear it. that is not to say that i like one over the other. all the ladies were talented but i would have preferred a Jean At Their Best and then a Scherrie At Their Best cd /Gold. anyway,i am happy however and whenever they come out. i have heard OF the song you spoke of ,Traveling Light. maybe we will get a 70s Lost and Found! would be nice. i did hear there was an out take from the Smokey [Floy Joy] lp also. thank you for your time and info. please feel free to tell us more! love to hear from you here.

George,

I was thinking about how lucky we have been thanks to your hours of efforts in the archives pouring through the tapes to find us die hard fans these unreleased gems and variations in vocals or mix. We Supremes fans can be impatient waiting for these releases but your efforts along side your colleages have provided us with so many treasures that I humbly thank you. I know the goodies unearthed for this set will more than satisfy us all....

George - any info on timing of these last sessions? I've found a site that talks about Stevie's work with the girls in early 73 or so and that there were 3 songs - Bad Weather, Soft Days and I'll Have To Wait A LIfetime. any info on that last one?

So there is enough for at least a single disc Lost and Found from the early 70's Supremes? Are there any plans on getting the rest of those unreleased recordings with Jean out on cd George?

I am so pleased that I bought this cd back when it was released [[can't belive it was 19 years ago) and enjoy listening to it still. I had often wondered about the inclusion of a solo track from Jean's A&M album and the fact that Mary did not have a solo track on the album - thanks for clarifying this.

Andy and I would love to do a 70's Lost & Found. There is a lot of material. Unreleased and great alternates. Andy pushes like crazy for new releases and I know Harry wants to do them too because the fans respond so well. It's just a matter of time and Universal saying "yes". And sales, of course...
    Stevie Wonder has the unreleased tapes of songs he recorded with Jean. I never heard "I'll Have To Wait A Lifetime". I heard that Jean recorded "Until You Come Back To Me" before Aretha but never heard that either...except in my head and it sounds great! :-) Can't you just hear it?? Honestly, I don't know about either of the songs...

George, would you,do a blog for us regarding the 70s supremes. maybe you could do lp by lp, or by year ,and share your knowledge and thoughts?? just an idea until the 70s Lost and Found comes out,lol.

Wow--sure can hear Jean doing Until you come back to me...did he write it for her?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Wow--sure can hear Jean doing Until you come back to me...did he write it for her?
    Gladys Knight has said that the song was written for she and the Pips. I don't know how true this is. Stevie recorded a version in the 60s, but it wasn't released until 1977.

Many thanks George, it's great to have your input. I often wondered why there were differences between the CD issue and the cassette version, this was at that time unusual to say the least. I have both versions but have never played the cassette.

Awe, you guys really do push hard and I/We all really appreciate all the stuff Andy, Harry and you have brought out to us. I hope the rest will come out but if it doesn't it doesn't. I am thankful for everything we do have and I am so excited to get the last 3 albums on cd for the first time. Thank you so much Andy, Harry and George for you responses and honest answers. I didn't know Jean recorded "Until You Come Back To Me". Another surprise song I am sure many of us didn't know existed until now:-)

I really don't know if Jean recorded "Until You Come Back To Me". I never heard it. An exec at Motown in the late 80's told me he believed she did but he also never heard it. He said the info came from someone in Stevie's camp. You know how sometimes a little thing gets mentioned and then..."like a snowball rolling down the side of a snow covered hill"

Hey George,

In the Beyond Myself topic theres now a theory posted that the Supremes Produced and Arranged by Jimmy Webb lp began its life as a Diana Ross project and was then passed down to the girls since Berry hated the material cut on Ross. I've never heard this theory before and figure by now some part of it might have come out due to all the work you do in the vaults. Any thoughts and insights you could share are always appreciated.

I found this post from about a year ago so instead of starting a new one I decided to post here. A question was asked about the original track listing for Brenda Holloway Greatest Hits And Rare Classics. Here it is including songs that were unreleased at that time. I'll include the original master for Kim Weston as well. The original Supremes line up is posted earlier.

Brenda Holloway Original Greatest Hits & Rare Classics

Every Little Bit Hurts
    Lonely Teardrops
    I'll Be Available

Unchained Melody
    Mr. Lifeguard
    Operator
    I'll Always Love You
    Who Could Ever Doubt My Love
    All Your Love
    Something On Your Mind
    When I'm Gone
    Just Look What You Have Done
    You've Made Me So Very Happy
    Till Johnny Comes
    Hurt A Little Everyday
    Starting The Hurt All Over Again
    You Can Cry On My Shoulder
    I'll Be Alright
    Everybody Knows
    Make Him Come On To You
    Till The End Of Time
    How Many Times Did You Mean It
    Tell Me Your Story
    Where Were You
    My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
    Lonely Boy

Kim Weston Original Greatest Hits & Rare Classics

It Takes Two [[with Marvin)
    Take Me In Your Arms
    Helpless
    Stop! In The Name Of Love
    You Can Do It
    Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    I've Got Good News
    I'm Still Loving You
    Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
    Do Like I Do
    He's My Baby
    What Good Am I Without You [[with Marvin)
    Come And Get These Memories
    Thrill Of A Moment
    Perfect Love
    Any Girl In Love [[Know What I’m Going Through)
    Feel Alright Tonight
    It Should Have Been Me
    Looking For The Right Guy
    Another Train Coming
    Just Loving You
    Love Me All The Way
    A Little More Love
    A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Every Day)
    I'll Never See My True Love Again
    Go On Without Me
    You Hit Me Right Where It Hurt Me

RossHolloway Guest
    Holy Cow George! Thanks for listing the master track listing! I can't believe that Brenda did a version of My Smile Is Just a Frown Turned Upside Down! Be still my heart!! Plus three other songs appear to still be unreleased: Lonely Teardrops, Mr. Lifeguard and Something on Your Mind. Come on Lost & Found!!

I'm counting 4 songs by Kim that haven't made release too: Go on Without Me, Perfect Love, He's My Baby and I've Got Good News [[?). This just made my day.

RossHolloway Guest
    George- Were there any other GH&RC masters developed for release by cancelled? Was I dreaming that one was done for Gladys Knight and the Pips? Was the Isley Brothers disc also trimmed of unreleased tracks?

I'm pretty sure all four of those Kim Weston tracks were eventually released on her Anthology. Am I wrong?
    The Gladys Greatest Hits And Rare Classics was a dream ... but a good one! The idea was to release CD's on artists that didn't have hits compilations already out there.
    The first three discs mastered were, Brenda, Kim and Supremes so they were the only CD's that had to be changed.

Wow George. Thanks for all the info. I love reading the facts from someone who knows. Funny, I always loved "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love, " but felt that the track was "light." The band and Jean's vocals lacked umph! It never quite "ripped the roof off" like I felt was possible with that single. When I finally heard Kim Weston's version I heard some of the depth in the backing track that I always imagined for the Supremes' version. Are there any alternate vocals, band takes, or mixes for this track in the vault?
    Last edited by jeff9nyc; 05-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.

I never found any alternate mixes of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" but we never really searched. It's possible there is an alternate vocal. Hopefully, we can look into it for another project!

RossHolloway Guest
    George I just looked up the track listing on Kim's Anthology and you are correct, those four songs are on the release. I need to pull that set back out and give it a listen, it's been a while since I played that Anthology. Thanks for the information! One question that was not asked last night during your interview was if there are any immediate/or near immediate plans for any additional Lost & Found sets in the works.

George, you mentioned how we need to let Universal know how we enjoy these Supreme projects to help ensure future releases. is there a specific e-mail you could provide? any guidelines about just what to include in the message?
    thank you!

I never found any alternate mixes of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" but we never really searched. It's possible there is an alternate vocal. Hopefully, we can look into it for another project!
    Yeah...I always thought that "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love," was a great single that never achieved it's potential in the studio. In my head I heard it with a rippin' gospel sound and Jean just wailing away over a great bottom heavy detroit band track with a straight-4-on-the-floor feel kind of like "Love is Like An Itching An My Heart.".
    Last edited by jeff9nyc; 05-19-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I can see I need to copy my cassette onto a CD.

George,

On the Brenda Holloway set, is my memory incorrect or isn't there an alternate version of "Too Proud to Cry" on the GH&RC CD? I may be thinking of the "Every Little Bit Hurts" rerelease LP from the early 80s which came out on vinyl and cassette [[pre-CD era). I know I liked the "Too Proud to Cry" vocal on the original "Hurts" LP best, her voice was so strong. I'm assuming the [[is it Spectrum UK?) import BH "Anthology" has the original vocal; at least I hope it does. It was one of my favorite tracks. By the way, your recall is amazing!

Thanks to everyone for the very kind words.

Chestersong: I'm looking into getting the correct and most effective email address for fans to communicate with Universal/Motown and I'll get back to you. As for what to write...Just be honest, say what you feel with as few words as possible. A really long email will lose attention every time!
    Kenneth: Now you've got me questioning my own recall but I didn't use "Too Proud To Cry" on GH&RC. Maybe someone else can answer your alternate vocal question. I'm really not sure.
    RossHolloway: More "Lost & Found" sets are certainly on our wish lists as well. Nothing immediate but we keep trying!

Thanks to everyone for the very kind words.

Chestersong: I'm looking into getting the correct and most effective email address for fans to communicate with Universal/Motown and I'll get back to you. As for what to write...Just be honest, say what you feel with as few words as possible. A really long email will lose attention every time!
    Kenneth: Now you've got me questioning my own recall but I didn't use "Too Proud To Cry" on GH&RC. Maybe someone else can answer your alternate vocal question. I'm really not sure.
    RossHolloway: More "Lost & Found" sets are certainly on our wish lists as well. Nothing immediate but we keep trying!
    Hello George
    First I want to say, great job last night with Midnight Johnny and Andy. I would like to know if there are any Cindy birdsong leads anywhere in the vaults. Also are there any live recording from all of the 70 groupings of Supremes?
    Thanks so much
    Rodrick

George, thanks for joining Andy and John on the radio. it was a fum show and 3 hours flew by.
    speaking of the Greatest and Rare cd. maybe you could do a cd simular to the #1s with the extra fades and such. i would love a longer version of UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF and NATHAN JONES. just a thought.thanks again

George and Andy talked about how many outtakes there were from the RIGHT ON LP. i would love an expanded/deluxe edition of that album. it's a significant album in the time-line and i bet there are endless pictures to choose from! i bet Diana would even buy this set!

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Hello George
    First I want to say, great job last night with Midnight Johnny and Andy. I would like to know if there are any Cindy birdsong leads anywhere in the vaults. Also are there any live recording from all of the 70 groupings of Supremes?
    Thanks so much
    Rodrick
    Rodrick, when Andy was on the first time and just played clips of new songs, he stated that they found no leads by Cindy.
    Bootlegs of her leads on some songs that have circulated around were done after the group disbanded; I believe he said.

Ramone-Have you put that cassette onto cd yet?

Ramone Verona Guest
    Not yet.
    I decided to get a friend of mine to do it who works on computers.
    He has all that stuff already set up to record from records and tapes.
    Someday I'll have to brave it and get the proper software.
    I keep thinking that the GH & RC cassette will someday breakdown.
    Earlier Motown cassette releases of re-issues were done very cheaply, and almost all my cassettes developed screeching sounds as the recorded sounds fell out.
    But both the 70's Supremes and Magnificent Seven GH & RC cassettes were recorded on high quality [[HiQ HX PRO B NR) cassette tape and are in perfect condition.
    It was by a pure chance in Heaven did I discover those cassettes at the time they were sold as I was only purchasing CDs and NEVER bought cassettes anymore.
    But some little voice had me wander over to that section in Tower Records after picking out the CDs.
    Was glad to see the cassettes BUT I WAS FLOORED when I noticed that the Supremes one had a different track listing!
    I was hoping the Mag. 7 would at least have different versions but to my ear nothing was different.
    I believe George later confirmed that he only altered the Supremes cassette on that whole series.