[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Diana, Mariah and Donna Summer at VH1 Divas 2000

I found this posted at another site:

I worked at that Diana Ross show and it was an epic disaster. For weeks later,
    we all pieced together the parts we knew to understand how it all went wrong.
    First of all, the show's producers really were dealing with the Miss Ross of
    legend. But, at first, it all seemed worth it. She wanted her sound system used,
    rather than the one the production company planned on procurring. Okay, no
    problem. So they give in, not realizing the sound system is way too old. Donna
    Summer signs on, Mariah follows, Destiny's Child joins in for the youth appeal
    and a few other acts get gathered for the line-up. All is good. Then, a few days
    before the show, Mariah falls ill. Oyster poisoning or something. But she pulls
    it together and commits to be there so panic is set aside. Day of the show,
    Donna Summer arrives and, as another poster mentioned, she gets assigned a
    fairly good dressing room. Keep in mind that she not only was the first artist
    to sign on, but she was asked at the request of Diana Ross herself to
    participate. She is also on what would turn out to be the beginning of an
    aborted comeback. She's just had her own VH1 concert, a live album that sold
    respectably, had one #1 Billboard club hit and a second is climbing the chart.
    No pop hit but it's felt she's on the comeback trail. well, Mariah shows up and
    has a fit over Donna's dressing room assignment. She makes the remark, "Someone
    needs to tell that bitch she works for my husband." Whether Donna is aware of
    the comment I don't know, but she offers to change rooms and all seems okay. But
    then comes news that Mariah wants costume changes for a planned Supremes routine
    that will feature Mariah, Diana, and Donna. Wardrobe has prepped gowns that
    reflect back on the glamour days of the Supremes. Mariah wants mini-skirts.
    Donna is overweight and self-conscious and says she can't wear a gown if the
    other two are wearing miniskirts. The call is mafde that the other two will wear
    mini skirts and Donna either wears a gown OR a mini skirt as well. Donna backs
    out. [[The official word is that they had no time to rehearse so Donna backed out
    but, though legit, that's only half the story.)

Anyway, show goes on and Mariah nails it. Opening number is great, with Mariah
    mixing Love Hangiver with one of her own songs. Donna comes out and does a
    Supremes song and two of her own. The audience is having a ball. Destiny's Child
    comes on and. . .whoops. Problems with the sound system start up. Diana comes on
    and she's. . .well, let's just say she's drunk and looks crazy. During a
    performance of "Reach Out and Touch Somebody;s Hand", she forgets half the
    lyrics and covers by begging the audience to sing along. It sounds like this:
    "Reach out and. . .SHING IT WITH ME!. . .Somebody's. . .WHAT? I can't hear you!
    Make this. . .Like my hair? . . .Better place. . .If you SHING IT WITH ME!. .
    .Reach out and. . .I can't remember the words! How embarrassing!. . .Make this
    world a--LET ME HEAR YOU!"

Then it gets worse when Mariah and Diana do the Supremes number sans Donna. The
    audienec loves it but you can tell there was little rehearsal. [[There was some
    rehearsal and, in fact, you can find a video of Donna with Diana and Mariah
    rehearsing the number in Diva streetclothes, but drunk Diana and a recovering
    Mariah flub line after line and are never in synch with each other's singing or
    choreography.)

Backstage, Mariah is in full diva mode and Donna is getting fed up. During the
    closing number for all the performers, Mariah points at Donna while singing,
    "Ain't no river wide enough to keep me from you"--and Donna rolls her eyes at
    her with the camera on her.

Following this--and a night full of sound system screw ups, half the audience
    departs because it's now past midnight. We have to move the remaining audience
    up close to the stage and the camera crew readjusts audience shots to avoid
    showing all the empty seats in back. Diana now has to re-record all her solo
    stuff because a.) she's sobered up a bit and b.) the sound system she demanded
    the producers

by: Anonymous reply 26 12/29/2011 @ 11:21PM
    flag: [ww] [ff] [troll-dar]
    Woops. Sorry. Long post. Traumatic night so I'm rambling. I'll wrap up:

So Diana has to re-record her stuff and it just goes on all night. The sound
    system she's demanded causes issues so that when she's almost done with a song,
    it will black out or screech or whatever--and rather than just shoot from a
    point near where the error occurred and fix the audio in post, she does the song
    all over again. At first, this is a treat to the remaining audience. But after a
    few rounds of this, the remaining audience starts to thin out even more. This
    went on for hours. The other divas all leave her and the staff all wish we could
    go home, too. It was not a good night. When the show finally airs, it airs just
    a few times before VH1 yanks it for good. Apparebntly, Miss Ross views it sober
    and hates her performance. Thus, no DVD [[unlike all the prior Diva shows) and no
    public reminders of how bad the thing is. But trust me. . .it was bad. No one
    associated with that show has a good thing to say about that night.

by: Sorry so long!!! reply 27

What the?? This just sounds like it was written by a hater who is pretending that they worked for VH1. Most of the stuff they wrote was taken directly from those "Behind the Scenes" videos on Youtube. The people who worked on the special said that while it was a difficult special to produce due to the various technical difficulties, it was the most highly rated show that VH1 has ever aired.

Diana is a professional and I don't believe for one minute she would have drank during the taping or even at all during that day. Furthermore, I think her young sons were there with her that night, so there's no way she would have done that. Some people need to get a life.

I have been a huge fan of Miss Ross all my life...since her days with the Supremes. She has inspired me and provided the background to some of the happiest moments in my life. I hate to say this but, the above description of the behind the scenes occurrences for the VH1 Diva Special pretty well supports what I saw on TV when it aired. As much as I love me some Diana, and I do, she was at a very bad point in her life and in a very bad way that evening...and it showed. I could see that she was off her game. I could see that she was drunk. Her voice was trashed. I felt bad. My heart broke. I wanted more for her. The whole VH1 fiasco and the Return To Love mess was hard for me to watch as someone who loves her and has such admiration for all she has done and contributed to me and the world. I am so grateful for the transition that she has gone through and the place she is at now. The truth is the truth. Our/my idols are human and it makes me love Miss Ross even more. I long for the day when she can speak honestly and from the heart about the good and the bad so we can all learn and come together as better more compassionate people because of her honesty.
    Last edited by jeff9nyc; 01-01-2012 at 09:59 PM.

i agree with Jeff. we[fans] sometimes do not want to believe they are human. some supremes fans still think Florence did nothing wrong to be fired from the supremes[as if they were there] even though Mary and Diana both have stated she needed help.
    i remember seeing the show also, and hearing the comments from the other stars and people who worked on the show. sad but true, this was not a good time in her life.

I've watched this VH1 Divas special dozens and dozens of times and I have NEVER once noticed or thought for one second that Diana was drunk, trashed or half in the bag. Nothing tells me that. I'm surprised that anyone would even think that. Back in 2000, no one even knew of Diana's personal issues/battle, so I really doubt anyone would have watched Diana on TV and thought, "Oh yeah, she really looks drunk".

As for Diana forgetting the lyrics, this has happened to her so many times over the years. Not really a big deal, IMO...

I look at Diana as being human, but I also tell it like I see it. Yes, she has made mistakes like the rest of us. But do I think she was drunk on TV? No.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Carlo--every single word of that is true.

My Mariah Carrey story [["oyster poisoning--yeah, right"): I was invited to Patti Labelle's induction into BET's Walk of Fame celebration in 2001. As I was waiting to get in, I was astonished at the amount of security around the building--I am talking presidential-level security. Dogs, wands, police everywhere. I asked a friend who was working the show what was going on, and he said it was because Mariah Carrey, who was supposed to be performing that night, was "getting death threats." Little did we know, it was all in vain because Mariah didn't bother showing up for rehearsals, nor was she there when the show started. The reunited Labelle and Gerald Levert turned the place out, and over all it was a good show, but then came the grand finale which was supposed to be Labelle doing Lady Marmalade. They started singing and suddenly Patti walked off the stage, only to re-appear a few minutes later, towing a confused looking Mariah Carrey onto the stage. From where I was seated, Mariah looked out of it, and Patti made some excuse about Mariah's plane 'being delayed" and how she'd supposed to have been on earlier. Mariah sung a few very weak bars of Lady M, and a lady next to me asked out loud "Now why is that bitch singing that song?" I was wondering the same thing. Suddenly all the other stars started joining Patti, Nona, Sarah and Mariah onstage--and it reminded me of that infamous Smokey "save" at the end of Motown 25. Unplanned, unrehearsed and more importantly, a weak attempt to cover up the truth of what was going on. I would say more about the after show party, but I can't. I personally think Mariah has a screw loose.

Thank you BobC for sharing your story. If I may, I should add that Mariah had her breakdown in 2001, so perhaps some of the odd behaviour you witnessed was related to her declining mental and physical health. She was hospitalized in July and her father passed away later that year.

A lot of Mariah's diva behaviour that has been cited above could possibly be due to exhaustion. People deal with stress differently. Some keep it inside, turn to drugs, take it out on others, etc.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-02-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Let's just remember this was a painful chapter in Diana's life. Her marriage was coming to an end, the stress and then ultimate failure of the Return To Love tour, bad press from the tour and her behavior at the London airport were among the many things that were playing a role in what would lead to her drunk driving incident and then her entering into rehab which was a short two years later. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if she began drinking around this time and who could blame her. 1999 to 2002 were not very good years for her.

I've noticed she's changed as a person after all this has happened and I think she sees things far more clearly than she previously did. She has far more of an appreciation for life, her family, her fans, her career, etc. I think for once in her life she's found peace and it's visible in her recent tours. Her attitude has changed and it's a far more softer, gentler appearance. If you were ask her the same questions in 2000 and then again today, you would get two very difference responses. She's lost some of her "diva" persona and to me at least, I think she's far more likable because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if she began drinking around this time and who could blame her. 1999 to 2002 were not very good years for her.
    Yes, this is true. But I don't think she would go on TV being under the influence. Some people like to create something out of nothing.

I personally don't like discussing this subject, but I felt like I should speak out against some of this nonsense. People read something on the internet and automatically take it as gospel truth. It's just trashy gossip.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-02-2012 at 01:42 AM.

When I see the show, I don't think she's drunk or under the influence. However, she certainly wasn't on her game and it's very visible. She didn't need alcohol to throw her off. It is clear that her life crumbling from under her feet was what was doing it.

As often happens these days, I agree with Brad........basically because he's read his Motown articles and books and so in that way has done his research.

I think he is right; this was a very bad time for Diana.........her marriage was falling apart and as I recall, she found out her husband was leaving her through the press and also found out that the mistress was pregnant, around this time.

Much to Diana's credit, she seems to accept this girl as a member of her extended family now.

I don't think Diana was on her game at all at this time either.........that concert was apparently the top rated Divas Concert ever..........but it wasn't the Diana that became the star, not the lady that hosted the AMA's twice or did Central Park or Lady. If you watch the Youtube video of her opening of the AMAs with Eaten Alive, you see a far different performer.

At a different time, she probably would have dealt with Donna and Mariah much more personally and on her own, smoothed out whatever wrinkles they may have encountered; also she might have reached out to Mary Wilson at the same time if she had not had so many difficult issues surrounding her.

For us fans, it's a shame things didnt work out differently but life is never a straight line until the heartbeat stops...........

but life is never a straight line until the heartbeat stops...........
    What a great line! I, too, think she's a different person since all this - I wish she'd talk more about her sobering up but she's always been a very private person so I'm not surprised that she doesn't...

I just saw the clip of Diana being arrested for DWI for the first time the other night [[VH1's Most Shocking Rock Moments) and it was shocking how messed up she was. I hope she's kicked her bad habits. I remember Smokey writing in his memoirs that DR seemed "lost," which I'm sure is easy to have happen when you are the biggest star in the world for a long time and things stop working. For a perfectionist like Ross, it must have been devastating not to be in control of her fate. I hope she has enough money to retire and be comfortable. I think a lot of stars get trapped inside their own personas, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I just saw the clip of Diana being arrested for DWI for the first time the other night [[VH1's Most Shocking Rock Moments) and it was shocking how messed up she was. I hope she's kicked her bad habits. I remember Smokey writing in his memoirs that DR seemed "lost," which I'm sure is easy to have happen when you are the biggest star in the world for a long time and things stop working. For a perfectionist like Ross, it must have been devastating not to be in control of her fate. I hope she has enough money to retire and be comfortable. I think a lot of stars get trapped inside their own personas, unfortunately.
    When this video was set to be released, I remember a lot of fans being afraid of what might be shown. When I finally saw the video, I didn't get what all the hoopla was about. Yes, you see her leaning on the car, and then walking around the front of it. But I didn't see anything really embarrassing. Is there another video out there?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I've watched this VH1 Divas special dozens and dozens of times and I have NEVER once noticed or thought for one second that Diana was drunk, trashed or half in the bag. Nothing tells me that. I'm surprised that anyone would even think that. Back in 2000, no one even knew of Diana's personal issues/battle, so I really doubt anyone would have watched Diana on TV and thought, "Oh yeah, she really looks drunk".

As for Diana forgetting the lyrics, this has happened to her so many times over the years. Not really a big deal, IMO...

I look at Diana as being human, but I also tell it like I see it. Yes, she has made mistakes like the rest of us. But do I think she was drunk on TV? No.
    Carlo, she was drunk during the entire program. But the best examples of clear intoxication is during the Supremes "medley" with Mariah Carey and during the finale. Watch it again and pay attention to Diana when she brings Mariah Carey out. It was hilarious! [[to me!)LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Let's just remember this was a painful chapter in Diana's life. Her marriage was coming to an end, the stress and then ultimate failure of the Return To Love tour, bad press from the tour and her behavior at the London airport were among the many things that were playing a role in what would lead to her drunk driving incident and then her entering into rehab which was a short two years later. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if she began drinking around this time and who could blame her. 1999 to 2002 were not very good years for her.

I've noticed she's changed as a person after all this has happened and I think she sees things far more clearly than she previously did. She has far more of an appreciation for life, her family, her fans, her career, etc. I think for once in her life she's found peace and it's visible in her recent tours. Her attitude has changed and it's a far more softer, gentler appearance. If you were ask her the same questions in 2000 and then again today, you would get two very difference responses. She's lost some of her "diva" persona and to me at least, I think she's far more likable because of it.
    Diana Ross did not start drinking between 1999 -2002. She did not start "over-drinking" during that period either.........

Why would you think someone's alcoholic behavior is funny?

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    I don't know if everyone that gets drunk is an alcoholic. I do know that I have seen some pretty funny drunk people before in my life.

I wonder if Blockbuster ever got their video back?

Penny

Thaperson, check it out. Have a laugh on me and 47 million other people!

Penny-- hee hee! Imagine the late fees!!!

The version of the tape I saw had Diana stumbling around, and they said she laughed at the questions the officers asked her, couldn't remember the alphabet, and she was driving on the wrong side of the road in a run-down car.

Listen--that sort of behavior is par for the course for a lot of white rock stars--it is only shocking here because it's Diana Ross. That shows she has a good reputation. Anyway that was a decade ago so I hope she's gotten things back to where they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    What the?? This just sounds like it was written by a hater who is pretending that they worked for VH1. Most of the stuff they wrote was taken directly from those "Behind the Scenes" videos on Youtube. The people who worked on the special said that while it was a difficult special to produce due to the various technical difficulties, it was the most highly rated show that VH1 has ever aired.

Diana is a professional and I don't believe for one minute she would have drank during the taping or even at all during that day. Furthermore, I think her young sons were there with her that night, so there's no way she would have done that. Some people need to get a life.
    Carlo honey, please be real. I fully believe that Diana was drunk that night because: it was PLAINLY OBVIOUS to all who watched the show! She was completely off her game that night, and as a fan, I was horrified and distraught. But I never hated her for it. I just assumed that with the combined heartbreak of her divorce from Arne Naess with the RTL fiasco, that she was in her cups. And that turned out to be true if you just flash-forward to May 2002 and her entry into Promises.

I read all the accounts online in 2000, and what the above VH1 staffer recounted matches 100% what other VH1 people were anonymously telling us online at that time.

I also believe she may have been slightly inebriated at Motown 25, but back then, she didn't have the problem with alcohol that she would develop later on, and she came across as cute [[at least when she upstaged Adam Ant!)

As far as her not being drunk because Evan and Ross were there: their older sisters were there. Think about it. I fully believe that Rhonda and Tracee often had to act as surrogate mothers during those years. If you read between the lines [[and watch or read interviews they did during those years), you'll see it isn't really hard to imagine.

Having said all that, what the experiences taught us all during the early 2000s is that Diana Ross is a real human being after all, and not an infallible goddess. While I was shocked that she ever became an alcoholic at the time - because she often served as my imaginary/fantasy surrogate mother growing up because she possessed the strength my own mother didn't - none of this ever made me stop loving Diana Ross.

After all she went through during those years: under-recognition for her work and legacy; a very painful divorce; the personal and professional mess that was RTL; the media villification; and all of this following things like T-Boy's murder.....I would never hold it against her, as a real live human being, to struggle with some sort of addiction to numb the pain. I'm just grateful we didn't lose her like we've lost so many other beloved artists who've succumbed.

Carlo--every single word of that is true.

My Mariah Carrey story [["oyster poisoning--yeah, right"): I was invited to Patti Labelle's induction into BET's Walk of Fame celebration in 2001. As I was waiting to get in, I was astonished at the amount of security around the building--I am talking presidential-level security. Dogs, wands, police everywhere. I asked a friend who was working the show what was going on, and he said it was because Mariah Carrey, who was supposed to be performing that night, was "getting death threats." Little did we know, it was all in vain because Mariah didn't bother showing up for rehearsals, nor was she there when the show started. The reunited Labelle and Gerald Levert turned the place out, and over all it was a good show, but then came the grand finale which was supposed to be Labelle doing Lady Marmalade. They started singing and suddenly Patti walked off the stage, only to re-appear a few minutes later, towing a confused looking Mariah Carrey onto the stage. From where I was seated, Mariah looked out of it, and Patti made some excuse about Mariah's plane 'being delayed" and how she'd supposed to have been on earlier. Mariah sung a few very weak bars of Lady M, and a lady next to me asked out loud "Now why is that bitch singing that song?" I was wondering the same thing. Suddenly all the other stars started joining Patti, Nona, Sarah and Mariah onstage--and it reminded me of that infamous Smokey "save" at the end of Motown 25. Unplanned, unrehearsed and more importantly, a weak attempt to cover up the truth of what was going on. I would say more about the after show party, but I can't. I personally think Mariah has a screw loose.
    BobC, I wouldn't be so quick to toss off Mariah's fears as delusional. Apparently you may not be aware of the horrible MK Ultra program. Most stars of today's music industry have undergone horrific trauma and brainwashing, and are actually slaves to their handlers. Around the time you described, Michael Jackson said at a press conference that Mariah came to him, crying, saying that Tommy Motola had bugged all her phones and had people following her, watching her every day.

I believe that Mariah Carey, MJ, and so many others, like Britney Spears, are MK Ultra victims. The abuse and control they suffer is what creates extreme mental health disorders such as DID and MPD.

Both Marvin Gaye and Donny Hathaway claimed they were being stalked and spied upon too and look what happened to them.

But this is probably way too heavy of a topic for this forum. For more info, anyone who is interested should read articles archived at: http://vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusi...e-and-27-club/

Sugar I understand that show biz is tough and does a number one some peoples' heads, but as far as that level of paranoia is concerned--it is almost always a side-effect of hardcore cocaine use. For instance, David Ruffin told several people, at the height of his coke use in the 80's, that his hotel rooms were bugged--sometimes he thought it was Gordy, other times the CIA, other times just mysterious people "out to get him." If you read Boy George's memoirs, his sidekick Marilyn got so paranoid off cocaine that he was convinced someone on the street was monitoring him, so he hung a female friend from the balcony of his hotel suite [[many floors up) by her feet to try to get her to spot the spy. Eddie Van Halen did similar insane things.

I believe that 99% of the time, paranoid celebs are that way because of one thing: cocaine.

Second, Michael Jackson was not to be believed about anything because he lied all the time. MJ called Matola a racist and a devil--all because his History album bombed and MJ needed someone to blame. MJ wanted out of his contract so he was liable to say anything. I don't believe Mariah said anything to Michael about Matola mostly because it was well known that Mariah used her husband like a weapon to get and keep her career going.

Side bar since I don't feel anything can be gained by playing backstage breathalyzer, the main thing that sticks out in my brain about that Divas Special was whoever gave Faith Hill Love Child to sing must not have known she was given up for adoption at birth by her teenage mother or treated it as an inside joke.

Sugar I understand that show biz is tough and does a number one some peoples' heads, but as far as that level of paranoia is concerned--it is almost always a side-effect of hardcore cocaine use. For instance, David Ruffin told several people, at the height of his coke use in the 80's, that his hotel rooms were bugged--sometimes he thought it was Gordy, other times the CIA, other times just mysterious people "out to get him." If you read Boy George's memoirs, his sidekick Marilyn got so paranoid off cocaine that he was convinced someone on the street was monitoring him, so he hung a female friend from the balcony of his hotel suite [[many floors up) by her feet to try to get her to spot the spy. Eddie Van Halen did similar insane things.

I believe that 99% of the time, paranoid celebs are that way because of one thing: cocaine.

Second, Michael Jackson was not to be believed about anything because he lied all the time. MJ called Matola a racist and a devil--all because his History album bombed and MJ needed someone to blame. MJ wanted out of his contract so he was liable to say anything. I don't believe Mariah said anything to Michael about Matola mostly because it was well known that Mariah used her husband like a weapon to get and keep her career going.
    Tommy Mottola, lives just East of me here on Long Island [[Great house on a little pond). I never knew him to be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Side bar since I don't feel anything can be gained by playing backstage breathalyzer, the main thing that sticks out in my brain about that Divas Special was whoever gave Faith Hill Love Child to sing must not have known she was given up for adoption at birth by her teenage mother or treated it as an inside joke.
    They also should have never had Donna Summer sing "Reflections" either as she forgot the words and kept singing the same thing over and over. They should have had Mary Wilson sing it..............<G>.

He isn't a racist. These statements were made by MJ when he didn't know what planet he was on half the time--and the Nation of Islam goons were trying to take over his life, whispering in his ear.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I wonder if Blockbuster ever got their video back?

Penny

Don't know about the video, but I think some popcorn might be needed to watch the fun in this thread.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Penny-- hee hee! Imagine the late fees!!!

The version of the tape I saw had Diana stumbling around, and they said she laughed at the questions the officers asked her, couldn't remember the alphabet, and she was driving on the wrong side of the road in a run-down car.

Listen--that sort of behavior is par for the course for a lot of white rock stars--it is only shocking here because it's Diana Ross. That shows she has a good reputation. Anyway that was a decade ago so I hope she's gotten things back to where they used to be.
    And the cops made her "Walk the Line".

Donna got the best reviews of the show. She was in excellent voice and good appearance.

Mary would have been better suited for the MEN STRIKE BACK show they taped a couple of days after. One of the guests was Tom Jones, so they could have had a nice reunion, perhaps with Mary telling the story about how she once greeted him in her dressing room topless.

Hee hee! "All Diana's life she's been told what she can and cannot do..."

I love bad girls. I much prefer the new Miss Ross to the old goody goody one.

Go ask Foster Brooks and Dean Martin that question.

The video I saw had her sitting on the ground near an empty parking spot. You know, on the little concrete stopper.

Yeah I remember that but there's a police tape shown on the VH1 show and she is stumbling around, giggling.

Hmmmm....ok, I'll definitely agree with you on MJ. [[Just had to throw him in there to spice up an already dramatic discussion ). But what you said about cocaine use is very interesting. I don't know anything about that, but you make great points.

Sad to hear about what cocaine did to so many of our favorite musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    LOL! You're right! I had forgotten about that story. I've always admired Faith Hill. But I thought she seemed out of place in general on a Diana Ross tribute show. In fact, I could have done without Mariah as well, since she was on the '98 divas show.