[REMOVE ADS]

Anita Baker drama at Vh1 DIVAS show

Fans wondering why Anita Baker missed her scheduled appearance on last week's broadcast of "VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul" received a series of clues Tuesday night when the Detroit-raised singer opened up on Twitter.

First, a little background: The latest edition of VH1's concert franchise, which included tributes to some of the world's greatest soul music cities including Detroit, featured singing stars like Mary J. Blige, Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Jessie J., Jill Scott and others.

Following the taping Dec. 18 in New York City, there were rumblings online of some "Divas"-esque drama, but it was unclear to audiences who watched the show at home Dec. 19. Except that Baker wasn't there, and her 1986 classic "Sweet Love" was performed by Ledisi and Marsha Ambrosius.

However, via her @iamanitabaker Twitter handle, the R&B singer offered up a series of messages to give fans a glimpse to "what entertainers deal with."

Basically, an emotional Baker said she opted out of performing because of a series of disagreements she had between show producers and an unnamed artist with whom she was scheduled to perform "Sweet Love."

"I took the high road... as i will ALWAYS do. I have never. Nor, will i ever say a negative thing about any artist," Baker said on Twitter.

According to the online chatter, the unnamed artist was "Divas" headliner Scott. Unfortunately, Names & Faces didn't hear anything back from VH1 reps Wednesday
    after asking about the backstage action.

Good grief, get some perspective Anita. Few are buying your music anymore and if you didn't make it in the music biz, you'd be working 8-5 in an office and getting yelled at by some boss in some soul-sucking job.

To quote William DeVaughn, "Be thankful for what you got."

This whole thing kind reminds me of that tour she was supposed to do with Luther Vandross. As I recall at the time [[I think it was 2000/'01?), the press seemed to imply that Luther was acting the diva, based on his antics with En Vogue on the '93/'94 tour. But perhaps he was not to blame solely for the catfight with Anita?

I read somewhere on the web her complete twitter exchange, you guys don't know the whole story. Now granted, I've only heard one side of the story, but from "eyewitness" accounts it was Jilly from Philly who was trippin.

Aww well ,It ain't worth the energy to hate on A.B. Let's face it ,she has the right [[IMO) to act Divalisio-like. After a certain level , shii , what is there but to be put in a class of those who have reached that plane. Only thing to gain in that level is "good" ,"Better" or "BEST" , which is a matter of fan base ,sales ,etc. Estrogen....It's strong in the Hen Howse!!!!

Never forget A&R at her record company taking me backstage at Wembley to see Anita, he knocked on her dressing room door and someone came from her Management and was gushing with him, he went in and I could hear him telling her that I was from one of the Top 5 UK radio stations and one that had supported her from the start, would she sign the programme and a promo CD and could he bring me in, clear answer I heard LOL, No! and that was that one very red faced record company member of staff, but I just laughed it off!

It sounds like she keeps shooting herself in the foot. Anger Management?

Somethings never change this has been going on for years.

.I want to hear Jill Scott Version..But im not surprised..It's Anita after all..I know what she's about

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    This whole thing kind reminds me of that tour she was supposed to do with Luther Vandross. As I recall at the time [[I think it was 2000/'01?), the press seemed to imply that Luther was acting the diva, based on his antics with En Vogue on the '93/'94 tour. But perhaps he was not to blame solely for the catfight with Anita?
    The Anita/Luther tour was circa 1988/89. I caught one concert, and it was very good. But there was a definite chill in the air. Neither would mention the other's name, and I recall many people being disappointed that there wasn't a duet performed. Of course, after tidbits of what went on came out, a duet couldn't have been performed, as it seemed as if they really disliked each other. But I think Anita said they did make up years later.

I don't know much about Anita, but Luther could be extremely difficult when he was in one of his "moods." I met him several times and there were occasions when I didn't think I was talking to the same gracious person from the time before.

We know you were wondering what happened backstage at the VH1 Divas Celebrate Soul and what was the alleged fight about?
    First off, it wasn’t a fight, instead it was more of a blow off. Thanks a note sent in the comment section of RWS, we have finally got the inside intel for you. – Get the deets on the flip….

Word is, Anita Baker was one of the scheduled performers on all the promo press, but for some reason she mysteriously pulled a no show. Moreover, Ledisi talked about having to fill in at the last minute to sing Anita Baker’s signature song ‘Sweet Love’,
    Here is what Ledsi said to VH1 in an after concert interview:

“I was headed to go to the red carpet and the producers and the music director and my manager all came rushing to my room. I was asked ‘Can you sing ‘Sweet Love’?” and I was like, ‘Stop playin! [laughs] Anita Baker’s singing that’. But then they told me ‘No, this is serious.’ And I was like “Oh my God, yeah sure, sure, if you need me, I’ll do it.’ I didn’t ask what happened because I didn’t want to be in the middle of that.”

Now the news was first said to be Jill Scott’s fault, regarding gossip talk by the staff.

It was also “said” that Jill Scott did NOT want to perform Anita’s song “Sweet Love” at all – It was also said that she annoyed the production staff but acted like an @ss when she didnt have the song changed and completely ditched Anita at their dress rehearsals among other things.

It was RUMORED that Anita pulled out as a result. There were no blows or arguement; as production staff I have to say that it really was Jill Scott blowing Anita Baker off, Not throwing blows!

That’s all folks.

Now stop being vultures.

http://www.gossiboocrew.com/gbcwow-n...aker-incident/

......and now Anita's twitter rant explaining what went down.

IAMANITABAKER Anita Baker
    I do this so U will know what entertainers deal with So when U hear that we r Rude? you'll understand thx 4 the illustration, young lady
    23 minutes ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    So. for the record. The next time you guys hear trash,... Look at the source. You know it's comming from the same recepticle......
    35 minutes ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    I just need you 2C what kind of people come at me...& have Never Met Me. I call it "The Beyonce' Syndrome"... just minding my own business
    37 minutes ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    Young lady...EVERYone. Really? i haven't worked with EVERYone?! Ur very upset... we don't even know each other. woo sAH. Lovely
    40 minutes ago

SashaBtheBoss Sasha B.
    @
    Gurl BOOM! Everyone Talks About How Hard You Are To Work With And What A Cunt You Are To Fans. Everyone Ain't Lyin'... @IAMANITABAKER
    46 minutes ago
    Retweeted by IAMANITABAKER

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    The real kicker?... the audio was AMAZING, wanted sO badly 2 sing for you. Next time ....
    59 minutes ago

tzwoman Angela Foster
    @
    @sweet_ladysusan @iamanitabaker Just a darn shame. AB just stay true to yourself. Where most of them are going, you've already been.
    1 hour ago

sweet_ladysusan Susan Newell
    @
    @tzwoman @iamanitabaker Now dun went and told the Truth.
    1 hour ago

aniyahlasean Samantha
    @IAMANITABAKER love u unconditionally. You have to make the best choice for u. Who can be mad at that? Xoxo
    1 hour ago

DineceCarmichae Dinece Carmichael
    @IAMANITABAKER You did the right thing. Your music is your legacy. If you do not control its exhibition; it will dissolve your longevity.
    1 hour ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    @
    @MsNicoleL @roselady23 @4AnitaBakerFans @stilettochyck ab
    1 hour ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    @
    @roselady23 @4AnitaBakerFans @MsNicoleL @stilettochyck sorry...
    1 hour ago

sweet_ladysusan Susan Newell
    @
    @IAMANITABAKER How can anyone tell you how to deliver Your Song a HIT song at that #Please
    1 hour ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    @
    @drgoddess their were rehersals 4 camera blocking, etc. but no 1on 1 vocal rehersal
    1 hour ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    @
    @TarraFan Nooo, she was trying 2 help. had zero rehersal. I'mgrateful 2 her.
    1 hour ago

Chosendaughter Dan Gabriel
    Sending a huge hug 2 @IAMANITABAKER Trust your fans know your heart & all haters & disrespectful ppl are placed on MUTE! I appreciate U!
    2 hours ago

Yazmar Yazmar.com
    @
    @IAMANITABAKER glad u set the record straight...fans wanted 2 know why you were not on the show. Im #TeamAnitaBaker all day!
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    @
    @MUTHAKNOWS Oh Marsha andLedisi saved the song for me. Grateful 2 them ab
    2 hours ago

authenticityme Betty
    @
    @IAMANITABAKER thanks for maintaining your standards; if you don't no one else will.
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    I just needed 2 get it out. I was also told that we shouldn't do "all that hollerin" that i do on the end of "Sweet Love"???? the end
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    I tried 2 squash t whole thing Put on a good face. cried 2 myself so not 2 cast shade on any1, John's words [[their mngr) hit me 2 hard Sorry
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    it went South from there... folks started fallin' out the Drama O' Rama began... i went to my dressing Rm. The rumors erupted. i cried.
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    3 mins B4 dress rehearsal, i had no duet partner, simply b/c i asked if i could sing the first verse 2 establish the energy of the song...
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    I sent emails asking 4 vocal rehearsals... pls. i was told "You should Chill, it's not about the song, anyway..it's about who's singing it
    2 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    i begged 4 rehersals Sweet Love is not a duet. Duh.. u sing 2 lines, they sing 2 lines. NO..it deserves an arrangement & rehersal...
    3 hours ago

justake5 Dennis Grady
    @
    @IAMANITABAKER..Oh ok..the media has made you out to be a "diva"..and hard to wrk with...glad to know its not true!
    3 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    people don't ask me anything... they just start pulling what they want from me. The contract/my agent was there 2 protect me. I'm grateful
    3 hours ago

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    @
    @mobetta77 You see 4 yourself who was helping....
    3 hours ago
    »

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    I explained for my fans. No other reason.
    3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

IAMANITABAKERAnita Baker
    You can't just "Walk Off a Show" at t last min.. this was BUSINESS Great musicians & artists worked out t tribute, i cried all t way home
    3 hours ago

Basically, Anita Baker was to perform "Sweet Love" as a duet with Jill Scott. Jill Scott did not want to sing "Sweet Love" at all. Anita asked the producers if they could rehearse the song. They basically told her duh...you sing 2 lines, she sings 2 lines, etc. Anita says its more than just exchanging lines that they need to do a vocal rehersal. she was told to chill because its not about the song, but rather, who is singing it.
    Anita was also told by producers that we shouldn't do "all that hollerin" that i do on the end of "Sweet Love". Three minutes before the dress rehearsal, Anita said that she didn't have a duet partner, simply b/c i asked if i could sing the first verse 2 establish the energy of the song. Jill Scott did not show up. Anita says that Jill's manager said some very hurtful things to her. Anita said she was very hurt, cried, and decided to leave.

skooldem1
    Not so fast ,,Did u see these Tweets.
    JawnMurray
    The person who DID NOT want to sing with others WAS NOT on #VH1Divas & that had NOTHING to do with @MsJillScott. These are the facts!
    JawnMurray
    Those reports are NOT true! I've spoken to 3 people associated w/ the show - 1 a VH1 exec - who all tell the same story = Jill did nothing!
    DishCentral Dish Central by C.J.
    @
    @IAMANITABAKER & yet u reportedly left many w/ hurt feelings: VH1 producers, a "Diva's Celebrate Soul" make-up artist; Jill Scott horrified

It's always 2 or 3 sides to every story..I wonder out of all the Singer's in the World they could've invited,It's Anita Who managed to cause a scene

Jawn is a mess. Anitas words are from her own mouth. Not second hand gossip from someone who is obviously a Jill Scott fan. With that said, it's not that I'm this huge AB fan, its that everyone assumes because of past stories that somehow Anita was the bad guy. I found that when I was reading her account it seemed that it was true. The original post didn't have the details that Anita provided and I thought it was necessary.

skooldem1 U know I'm her biggest fan..Well I was..I was there from the 1st tweet..I'm just fed up w/her always being in the middle of something negative..Just do something for the fans.She wont tour/.Put out Her Cd/.A DVD/ Guest Appearances Nothing/It's tough being a AB fan

She has made some very good TV appearances. I guess you just have to enjoy what you have.

I don't think it's wise for Anita Baker to be involved in those kinds of tweets; it's degrading and you can't win and everyone has pretty nutty fans ready to pounce these days. When you participate, it just tends to show you are just one of "them".