[REMOVE ADS]

dzMusica Guest

Motown Critical 'Duet' Mistake

Hey all,

Between the years 1968 & 1970 a lot went down at Motown but those years were critical for some of the artists careers. Motown missed a critical opportunity in not pairing David Ruffin and Martha Reeves as a duet team. Motown was famous for their duets and those two would have been something else to see and hear. It would have been a whole different sound than the Marvin duets, David and Martha would have had more soul, spunk, and flair. Besides they both needed the pick up to launch their solo careers. They might have even been the best duet team at Motown. Instead, they were both reduced to singing their own versions of 'I want you back'.

dzMusica

That would have been an unusual pairing. It's intriguing to think of it. Love them both, and they both have aggressive styles which could have been great together.

It is noteworthy that Motown did pair the Ruffin Brothers. I really enjoyed that album. To me their version of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" is the best ever recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by dzMusica View Post
    Hey all,

Between the years 1968 & 1970 a lot went down at Motown but those years were critical for some of the artists careers. Motown missed a critical opportunity in not pairing David Ruffin and Martha Reeves as a duet team. Motown was famous for their duets and those two would have been something else to see and hear. It would have been a whole different sound than the Marvin duets, David and Martha would have had more soul, spunk, and flair. Besides they both needed the pick up to launch their solo careers. They might have even been the best duet team at Motown. Instead, they were both reduced to singing their own versions of 'I want you back'.

dzMusica
    I've always said that Martha Reeves and Marvin Gaye should have recorded Endless Love. Can you imagine how soulful this coupling would have made this MOR song.

Best to you.

Roberta

dzMusica Guest
    They needed something different than Marvin. Pairing everyone with Marvin would have turned into a bad fad. David Ruffin was the only other man that could have done it. Everyone loved his voice even more than Marvins. David needed a girl with more soul and edge, less preppy and smoochie. It would have been a total different take on the duets for Motown. David and Martha would have been fantastic, unforseen success story.

dzMusica

In one of Tony Turners tomes, I seem to remember that David and Martha hated each other. At one date in Texas, they were at each others throats. But then believe what you will from Tony Turners books. But, I do think the idea could have worked...Paulo xxx

H ha. They wouldn't have actually had to record in the same room, Paulo. They could have snarled through the glass. I never met David, but I have briefly been on the wrong side of Martha. The album could have been called Don't Go There. No doubt at all, Dz, it would have been a stormer.

He He!..Sounds like a Diana & Marv situation...Paulo xxx

I met David Ruffin through Martha Reeves during the "Dancing In the Street" tour in late 80's.Both David & Eddie seemed protective of both Martha & Mary Wells and you could tell there was a genuine bond. I think David & Martha could have made a dynamic duet.

Nice to hear. See, you cant always believe what you read....Paulo xxx

Martha recorded with GC Cameron but none of their sessions have ever seen the light of day!

Thought I had them singing Your All I Need To Get By on a Nightmare 12". Or on a Motorcity CD. Will check and get back. Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Thought I had them singing Your All I Need To Get By on a Nightmare 12". Or on a Motorcity CD. Will check and get back. Paulo xxx
    I meant at Motown Paulo not the trash that Levine produced.

copley..of course...of course..silly me . I tried to listen to some of the Motorcity stuff the other day. God, I had forgotten how god awful it really was. AND it mostly is..Paulo xxx

^^ I also dislike the motorcity/nightmare stuff too. To many drum machines and it feels to cheap to me. I think the artists deserve better.

And I do agree that a David and Martha duet could be decent.