[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    put back to March I believe

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    put back to March I believe
    worth the wait..

Is there a delay?...mine's on the way.

FINALLY! Forever More is finally made available as digital downloads on Rhapsody and Amazon.com, in addition to iTunes.

And it was almost killing me the past couple of months to finally get them available as such!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jalowe1957 View Post
    FINALLY! Forever More is finally made available as digital downloads on Rhapsody and Amazon.com, in addition to iTunes.

And it was almost killing me the past couple of months to finally get them available as such!
    I appreciate the fact that the set is available for digital download, but trust me when I say the packaging is worth the additional cost. I enjoy the pictures and the liner notes about who wrote and produced the songs in addition to when the songs were recorded.

AT LAST! Amazon.co.uk are listing my copy as "despatching soon". It'll be a bargain as I managed to order mine way back when it was listed at under £20!!!!!

My mailbox is gonna be busy this coming week as I've also got the 5 new titles on Hallmark showing as despatching soon along with a couple of other non-Motown titles.

Amazon UK has shipped!

ok, what are your favorite songs from this album? i skimmed thru as i am still listening to another cd i got but i am not hearing as many gems

I assume you mean disc 4.

I really rate the track Breakthrough [[I've Got My Freedom). An absolute gem of a gem, I play it continuously and I am hoping MJ does one of his extended versions in the future. My other special favourites are Johnny Do Right, Dance A While, You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar. I would say that most of the unissued are of similar quality to what was released. Having said that, I can't get into Wanda's version of "You Lost The Sweetest Boy".

RossHolloway Guest
    See I loved their version of You Lost The Sweetest Boy, it's a great updated version of the song, and strong enough to release as a single.

I have tried, really I have tried hard but it doesn't hit the spot for me. I'll try again with more "open" ears! However, for me, there's a certain charm about the Mary Wells' version and I think Diana's strong backing vocals take the chorus to a higher level.

Mary Wells recorded the track first, before the Velvelettes who dubbed on their French vocals. There's a reference to the Velvelettes French vocals in an internal Hitsville newsletter that is partially reproduced in Al Abrahms fantastic book.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Mary Wells recorded the track first, before the Velvelettes who dubbed on their French vocals. There's a reference to the Velvelettes French vocals in an internal Hitsville newsletter that is partially reproduced in Al Abrahms fantastic book.

John,

I'm glad you mention that. As good as "Hype & Soul" is, I find one thing terribly disappointing- the visually interesting but impractical placement of press releases and newspaper article.
    Several reproduced newspaper artices say continued on page xx... and then no page xx is to be found anywhere in the book. One reads part of a story and then is left hanging. One might say that one can guess what was written next.. but the point is that one does not historically know what Was written... wasn't that one of the points of this book- to present the real thing? Some press releases are covered over by other press releases and/or memorabilia/photos/newspaper clippings. In some cases, one can fill in some of the blanks; but in others, it is extremely difficult to guess what the covered parts of phrases are. It lessens the full historicity of these releases and defeats part of the purpose of this work.
    Why include only part, when one should have been given the whole? As the volume is only sold through the authors and Amazon, one did not have the opportunity to browse through the book to note its 'partial' makeup before buying, as one could do in a brick and mortar store.
    Perhaps those responsible for this otherwise great work, might remedy the situation by posting on the Hype and Soul website the missing pieces in a file only accessable to those who have purchased the book. I'm sure there are records of those who have purchased the volume. A key[[code number) might be sent to them, giving them access to view the missing pieces and in a sense to complete the story that Mr. Abrams so skillfully tells.

...and yeah, on the 2nd page there would have been pictures of the Velvelettes with Robert Gordy and Pierre Berjot.....and....and.....

But hey stop!!!!! Who keeps work memos from over 50 years ago. In fact, who keeps ANYTHING from work after moving on to a new job!

Nowadays, I am grateful for small mercies and I gladly accept any piece of information whether it be big or small. I also know that it's gonna have to be that way for a long time. I guess you could say that I've come to terms with my collecting mania.

If Al puts out a second book, I will gladly buy copies.

Amazon let me down today, my copy has not been delivered, went online to track my parcel and it has been sent in error to Ayreshire! I will be lucky to get Vol 2 by next week, well 1 more week after nearly 3 years is not too bad i guess.

Dickie it is well worth waiting for.

Yippee - "Forever More" has arrived today along with the five Hallmarks [[that's the 5 Hallmark CDs not an album by The Five Hallmarks). Deep joy!

What with "Forever More" and the final issue of "In the Basement" [featuring Mary Wells] arriving in the post on the same day, I may be away from the forum for a while.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I have tried, really I have tried hard but it doesn't hit the spot for me. I'll try again with more "open" ears! However, for me, there's a certain charm about the Mary Wells' version and I think Diana's strong backing vocals take the chorus to a higher level.

I too love the Mary Well's version but there were always a couple lines in the song that I could never understand until I heard the Marvelettes version. Wanda really does this song justice the way she sings the song.

My copy finally arrived. I'm enjoying it immensely.
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the 4 photos of Kat, Wanda & Ann on pg. 34. As soon as I saw them, I wondered if someone/the photographer/Motown was trying to channel the Supremes A Go-Go album cover and photoshoot.
    I also found it interesting that 'Too Many Tears, Too Many Times" had the working title S.O.S. I immediately thought of Marv Johnson's S.O.S [[Girl In Distress) and the unreleased Martha and the Vandellas version which likely has lyrics that fit the part of the title in parenthesis. Both songs, though different have William Stevenson's name listed first in the composer credits. But the Marv Johnson S.O.S. was recorded earlier; hence the 2nd possible use of the title seems odd. The mystery deepens.
    Is that Kat singing the opening lines of "You Better Cool It"?

Well picked up on You Better Cool It.

I would GUESS at Georgy rather than Kat. One for the Marvelettes' masterminds, methinks. Let me ask around. Meanwhile, Randy or Tony might know.

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know if Gladys ever attempted some of the songs that Wanda was the lead on? Songs like Don't Mess With Bill, Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead or I'll Keep On Holding On? Or better yet, after Glady left the group in 1967, did Ann ever sing lead during their live concerts or does anyone recall hearing Wanda sing some of their earlier hits live in concert like Please Me Postman or Too Many Fish in The Sea?

Isn't it a shame that no unknown HDH tracks have been discovered in the vaults?

Maybe the Marvelettes turned down their songs and then when HDH started to churn them out, HDH had too much on their plate. The Temptations had very little HDH too.

Do I detect that taste of disc 4 has made you wanting more?

Yes, I'm a regular Oliver Twist.

I loved "Finders Keepers" and "Knock On My Door". I was hoping that "A Bad Case of Love" existed.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Yes, I'm a regular Oliver Twist.

I loved "Finders Keepers" and "Knock On My Door". I was hoping that "A Bad Case of Love" existed.
    I believe it does but I`m often wrong.

144man-What makes you mention "A Bad Case Of Love". Are you aware that the Marvelettes recorded that song?

Roger -Was you buying this music at the time?

Got mine yesterday..ordered from U.K. Amazon back in November..I like the songs on disc 4 from 1964 onward..the early
    songs are hard to get into some have good melodies I will have to play them more..My standouts would be "Learning to
    forget you" , "Just one more kiss[[before you leave me)..

"A bad case of love " exists but there are no vocals to it..

Now that's a shame.

I'm rather pleased you mentioned "Learning To Forget You". That track was specifically named by Gladys in an old UK publication. It was the one Gladys most remembered and wished it had been released.

Was "Caught You Putting The Game On Love" never mixed to stereo? It is mono here as it was on the Essential Collection?- [[although the sound on Forever More blows the older version out of the water).

Boy, I saw it on a list of supposedly unreleased tracks. I`ve been collecting Motown since 1967 lps only. Since the advent of cds only albums that I don`t think will be released on cd.I`ve just ordered "Shades Of Gospel Soul" which I will convert to cd. I also collect dvds Shindig etc and celebrity tv shows.

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post

I was rather afraid that might be the case. The band track "I've Been Loving You" was also assigned to the Marvelettes, but that ended up being used for Frances Nero's "Keep On Loving Me".

"You Better Cool It" sounds like Kat Georgeanna & Wanda on the opening to me.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    "You Better Cool It" sounds like Kat Georgeanna & Wanda on the opening to me.
    That would be my first guess too but I suspect Gladys might be there as well only because we know it was common practice for the lead singer to also sing background.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Got mine yesterday..ordered from U.K. Amazon back in November..I like the songs on disc 4 from 1964 onward..the early
    songs are hard to get into some have good melodies I will have to play them more..My standouts would be "Learning to
    forget you" , "Just one more kiss[[before you leave me)..

Just One More Kiss [[Before You Leave Me) is definitely one of the stand out tracks on disc 4, don't know how it ever got overlooked for a release either for an album cut or even a 45 release, really great song.

"My Baby Won't Come Back" seems to have been recorded on the same day as Martha's version. Is that right?

Annotation lists that once the track for "I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes" was completed, it was first assigned to the Vandellas. The progression that follows is interesting: background vocals and demo lead by Johnny Bristol, horns, re-assignment to the Marvelettes and lead vocal, and lastly, strings.
    In 'Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme''s itinerary, Mary Wilson lists the song as being worked on twice by the new Supremes. The first mention places its recording on the same day as "Bill, When Are You Coming Home". As Johnny Bristol is the producer and one of writers of both songs, and recalling the story of "Life Beats" [Johnny Bristol, producer] consideration for the new Supremes' first single, it would seem likely that there is a Jean Terrell led version in the vaults. Can Harry, Andrew, or George substantiate whether or not this is a true assumption?

This is coming from a die hard Supremes fan! RUN do not WALK to your computer and order this set! Hippo/Motown whomever this is one of the best things I have ever gotten. First of all when I heard Smokey yell "Take 22" on You Bet your Bottom Dollar I thought my god how hard are these women working? The Train Thats bringing My Baby has remnants of How Long Has that Evening Train Been Gone the way the background is arranged. I just got this set today in the mail and I have to tell you its packaged beautifully PLEASE dont download it Im telling you! One of the pleasures is seeing pics of the Marvelettes we have never seen and for those die hard Motown fans there is one photo sesion that looks like it could have been copied from the Supremes a Go Go...you will notice it when you see the book. There is not a dud on here and I wish the information booklet could have been bigger because it is so good. I dont know what to say I am glad I didnt wait on this one! Beats any Diana Ross CD [[whom I love) that I could have gotten. I didnt think I would like this better than Surrender! I guess its because I have Surrender on an album so I knew what to expect. The swirling strings on My Baby Must be a Magician are so audible and although I am not a fan of Mono more Stereo I like all of the mono cuts even on Magician which I didnt think I would. Its so criminal to hear some of these tracks because they show a side of Gladys that proves she can handle material that is ahead of its time. One Kiss Led to Another and So Glad its Summertime sound like they could have been made in the late sixties! Wanda and Gladys are WELL represented here and I am sure Kat is proud of this collection. You can hear all of their voices and Ann Bogan has some lead cuts on here that blow Im Gonna Hold on As Long as I Can out of the water. What is awesome is the UK version of Hold on is 10 times better than the American one this version should have been the single for the US you can understand what she is saying! I Cant Turn Around and Rainy Mourning in this collection are a treat to here and if you own these albums the remastering is remarkable. Again I didnt think I would enjoy this as much as I do being a die hard Supremes and Four Tops fan but I can tell you if you dont get this now you will regret it!

RossHolloway
    I am so glad you are telling people this set is worth the wait. With the exception of More hits by the Supremes I have NEVER been this excited about a Motown box set CD as I am this one. I like the Marvelettes and always have I have 4 of their albums but this set has had me rethink my original thoughts. When I first got Sophisticated Soul I listened to it a lot but hearing it in this context makes me appreciate it more. I know some people who are in the Gladys camp as lead and some who are in the Wanda camp and prefer her leads. At one time I was in the Wanda camp but a few years ago I learned to appreciate Gladys but after today I love both of them just the same! I was f****** impressed with how well she handled some of this material that was unreleased. My favorite Gladys lead was Too Many Fish in the Sea and Postman and Playboy I thought anybody could do those songs they are so simple. After many years of prayer and counsel.....LOL I have found that this set shows the Marvelettes could handle anything given to them. Had it not been for their internal problems [[sorry Wanda I love you just the same) with proper attention they could have easily stayed on the charts. I love the remake of Fading Away and always have. I know I sound like a broken record but if anyone is thinking about getting this collection and you can afford it please dont wait. I got Deliver the Singles and somehow it got lost and I had to wait all these years for THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Was "Caught You Putting The Game On Love" never mixed to stereo? It is mono here as it was on the Essential Collection?- [[although the sound on Forever More blows the older version out of the water).
    It's so satisfying to hear that this set has inspired such passion and interest. THANK YOU.

On this specific question: we did go back and newly remaster the "stray" Marvelettes tracks that had been issued after the 1960s but before now. For one or two of those we did find a stereo master - I am sorry that now I don't recall which tune[[s) - and I can assure you, in the effort to be certain we didn't miss an opportunity to deliver an alternate mix, we listened at different times over a few weeks [[to keep the ears fresh) and the mono was the winner each time.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    On this specific question: we did go back and newly remaster the "stray" Marvelettes tracks that had been issued after the 1960s but before now. For one or two of those we did find a stereo master - I am sorry that now I don't recall which tune[[s) - and I can assure you, in the effort to be certain we didn't miss an opportunity to deliver an alternate mix, we listened at different times over a few weeks [[to keep the ears fresh) and the mono was the winner each time.
    Perhaps the stereo versions might be included on a future 'A Cellarful of Motown' or other such collections.
    Thanks for giving us such wonderful goodies, delivered with such care and detail. It is much appreciated.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    RossHolloway
    I am so glad you are telling people this set is worth the wait. With the exception of More hits by the Supremes I have NEVER been this excited about a Motown box set CD as I am this one. I like the Marvelettes and always have I have 4 of their albums but this set has had me rethink my original thoughts. When I first got Sophisticated Soul I listened to it a lot but hearing it in this context makes me appreciate it more. I know some people who are in the Gladys camp as lead and some who are in the Wanda camp and prefer her leads. At one time I was in the Wanda camp but a few years ago I learned to appreciate Gladys but after today I love both of them just the same! I was f****** impressed with how well she handled some of this material that was unreleased. My favorite Gladys lead was Too Many Fish in the Sea and Postman and Playboy I thought anybody could do those songs they are so simple. After many years of prayer and counsel.....LOL I have found that this set shows the Marvelettes could handle anything given to them. Had it not been for their internal problems [[sorry Wanda I love you just the same) with proper attention they could have easily stayed on the charts. I love the remake of Fading Away and always have. I know I sound like a broken record but if anyone is thinking about getting this collection and you can afford it please dont wait. I got Deliver the Singles and somehow it got lost and I had to wait all these years for THIS!
    I think Gladys and Wanda complimented each other on lead vocals, much in the same way that Eddie K and David R. complimented each other. As popular as they were, after listening to disc 4 of this set one can't help but think about all the untapped potential the group still had.

I have just finished listening to "Forever More" over headphones, and "In Full Bloom" has just replaced the Four Tops' "Still Waters Run Deep" as my alltime favourite Motown album. Also, "Marionette" and "A Breathtaking Guy" from "Return of..." sound so much better in stereo than the mono singles I am more familiar with.

Incidentally, despite singling out Wanda tracks above, I like Gladys and Wanda equally as lead singers.

I'm with you on that. I've never convinced myself which one of the two I preferred.

I think prior to Gladys' departure having 2 distinctive lead singers is what separated the Marvelettes from the other girl groups of the day. Onstage they had a good flow of changing leads . Ofcourse Ann could have kept the 2 lead thing going. I will say that I like alot of the In Full Bloom tracks better today then I did back in'69.

RossHolloway Guest
    Do we know if Ann ever sang lead on any songs in concert?

that would be a good question for Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Do we know if Ann ever sang lead on any songs in concert?
    I think Kat said Ann did sing some of Gladys' leads, but by that time the focus was on Wanda. Plus, you gotta remember the Marvelettes were not performing live much by 1969. They did a few dates in Detroit. Ann Bogan was still singing with her gospel group on Sundays.

I've just played Disc 4 for the second time, and the unreleased tracks are so good. You can hear the embryonic Motown Sound developing.

This is probably the best Hip-OSelect release yet and essential for all Motown fans. It is remarkable to think that all you have to do is to buy this and Volume 1 to obtain the entire Marvelettes' Tamla output.

If there's any justice in the world, this will sell out quickly. My advice is to buy this before it's too late.

I think there are still a few tracks left in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I think there are still a few tracks left in the vaults.
    Not according to the sleeve notes. "The Grass Is Greener On the Other Side" is a demo for the Marvelettes, but not them singing, and as mentioned above there were some band tracks assigned to the Marvelettes for which no vocals were recorded.