[REMOVE ADS]

RIP, Harry Morgan

I hate to bear bad news again, but another popular performer has passed away. Harry Morgan has died at the age of 96. http://news.yahoo.com/m-h-star-harry...180159917.html

He was a constant presence in movies like "The Ox-Bow Incident" and "Appointment With Danger", to name a few, but it was on TV that he really made his mark, starring in a number of series, most notably the color version of Dragnet [[as Officer Bill Gannon) and MASH [[as Colonel Sherman Potter).

RIP, Mr. Morgan, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

MASH would never have been the great show it became without him. Condolences to his family and friends.

He was a great actor and I agree he added something to MASH after Mclean Stevenson was gone, although I liked Mr Stevenson. RIP Harry I will remember you from Dragnet as well.

I've always wondered why Mel Brooks didn't cast him as one of the residents of Rock Ridge. Based on his Olly Perkins roll in "Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter" he would have made a great Howard Johnson.

And Steve's right. The addition of Morgan [[and then David Ogden Stiers) moved the series from "yuk yuk" comedy to a more serious but humainly funny show with characters that much more depth than in the early years.

Its funny you mention this Doug. Whenever I watched MASH I felt like David O Stiers and Mr Morgan brought some class to that show especially in their dramatic scenes. I got tired of seeing Loretta Swit and Frank [[Ferret Face) running away or getting caught in some prank that Hawkeye thought up. Must admit I didnt think BJ Hunnicut could replace Wayne Rogers but he did a good job! Harry Morgan is that breed of actor that we dont see anymore I think the only people left that could even compare to him would be someone like Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, or Tom Hanks guys who can do anything. Have to put Gary Sinise in that category as well.

My condolences go out, too.

He was brilliant and, as Stephanie says, a kind of actor you don't see any more. His comedy came from timing and playing it straight - the total antithesis to the kind of desperate way comedy is plyed these days.

RIP Mr Morgan, and thanks for all the entertainment.

One of the greatest actors ever...r.i.p.