[REMOVE ADS]

Earth, wind & fire never appeared on "soul train"

I was listening to an interview with Verdine White the other day and he stated that the group had never ever appeared on Soul Train. Though their music has been featured on Soul Train lines and during the show, they have never graced that stage. I found that odd but he never said why. Earth, Wind & Fire were honored at this year's Soul Train Awards. I did not see the show but when the producers went searching through the archives looking for footage for the tribute, there was none from Soul Train. Verdine joked that they were the first group in history to be honored by a show they never appeared on. Really odd considering how hot E,W & F were during Soul Train's hey day.

Don Cornelius didn't like them?

Some possible reasons:
    1.the stage wasn't big enough for EWF
    2. Soul Train couldn't afford them.
    3. being that their concerts were so elaborate, they were too busy preparing their show.
    But in lieu of having EWF on the actual ST stage, they did use a concert footage from a then recent
    LA Coliseum show. If I remember correctly the clip used was them performing SERPENTINE FIRE.
    The episode aired on 9/16/78 according to wikipedia. And Phillip Bailey made at least one solo appearance.
    Just this past Sunday EWF were honored on the ST Awards. Why only Bailey, Verdine White & Ralph Johnson
    the only members in attendance, who knows. Here's the clip> EWF HONORED ON SOUL TRAIN AWARDS

Other acts that didn't appear on ST were:
    Parliament/Funkadelic, although the did have the Fuzzy/Grady/Cal version
    of Funkadelic on.
    George Clinton as a solo act.
    Slave
    Now word is that Quazar appeared on ST but it was never aired. Would love to see that.

I have a list of every ST episode and I noticed that they were not there. The Only reference of Earth, Wind and Fire was a episode where they were in concert during the 1978-1979 season.

Here's the menton:
    267. Earth, Wind & Fire In Concert, Heaven & Earth

However, large bands appeared on Soul Train, so I don't see where the size of the band had anything to do with it. It's not like they play live on the show. I guess Maurice White and their management may know. Anyone think to ask Mr. Cornelius?

But there's been few bands playing live a few times. The JB's, Isley Bros & WAR for instance.
    The 2 drum sets alone takes up major space.

It could have been just a matter of circumstances. E.W.F. in the Soul Train and E.W.F. high period was not a "Dance oriented group" per say , but more so a spiritual and fusion jazz/soul/R&B group. While the side productions of Niecy and The Emotions had the diversity of the EWF sound but not the mystic aura of EWF itself. Although EWF would have been welcome to appear on Soul Train and would have liked to appear on Soul Train ,the business connections didn't happen to make that a reality , even though Black folks will Dance to any form of Black music from Jazz to Gospel ,I don't think it was an intended spite on EWF being on Soul Train. Prince and The Time wasn't featured on Soul Train either as well as some other groups . Black Music and the Black Music expierence had developed faster over time than Soul Train could keep up with, without being...........TOO BLACK for the T.V. market that was in the late 60's early 70's which was as similar as the market in the late 50's and early 60's that gave rise to "race music" being turned into "Rock & Roll". Black Music in the 70's & 80's blew up to such a degree that here in 2011-2012 ,we are still catching up to what went on back then in retrospect. Back then it was a matter of politically correct, something that is still going on today ,via Hip- Hop ,sampling etc. At least thats the way I see it.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 12-02-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Clarity

You gues are thinking of the late 70s. What about 1973, 1974, and 1975? They weren't producing anyone then, and they had yet to reach supergroup status. But, they still had sizable hits on the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    It could have been just a matter of circumstances. E.W.F. in the Soul Train and E.W.F. high period was not a "Dance oriented group" per say
    EWF did have plenty of dance grooves. Shining Star, Saturday Nite, Getaway, Serpentine Fire, Let's Groove, Boogie Wonderland...
    but more so a spiritual and fusion jazz/soul/R&B group.
    ST featured jazz fusion artist Lonnie Liston Smith who like EWF was on a cosmic spiritual plane.
    Prince and The Time wasn't featured on Soul Train either as well as some other groups such as Skyy and Brass Construction ,G.C.S. ,WAR,Parliament, Ohio Players ETC.
    All accept for Parliament all these artists did indeed appear on ST. Don Cornelius has retired from hosting by the time that Prince appeared in 94

Prince on Soul Train hosted by Holly Robinson

Do to copyright infringements and Prince being the total control freak that he is,
    the Time vid has been muted

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I was listening to an interview with Verdine White the other day and he stated that the group had never ever appeared on Soul Train. Though their music has been featured on Soul Train lines and during the show, they have never graced that stage. I found that odd but he never said why. Earth, Wind & Fire were honored at this year's Soul Train Awards. I did not see the show but when the producers went searching through the archives looking for footage for the tribute, there was none from Soul Train. Verdine joked that they were the first group in history to be honored by a show they never appeared on. Really odd considering how hot E,W & F were during Soul Train's hey day.
    The answer is quite simple. According to an interview that VW gave on the TJMS, the band wanted to play live and Don simply could not accomodate them at the time. Seems a little odd since Don Kirshner and the Midnight Special had EWF perform live on their shows.

Why would that be odd Tim? DK & MS are known for their live performers. I guess that the ST stage is not equipped
    to handle the elaborate stage set of EWF, so that would make some sense

Verdine said at the time, Maurice wanted a live presentation and Don wanted EWF to lipsync, but there was no hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    Verdine said at the time, Maurice wanted a live presentation and Don wanted EWF to lipsync, but there was no hard feelings.
    Exactly, nysister.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Why would that be odd Tim? DK & MS are known for their live performers. I guess that the ST stage is not equipped
    to handle the elaborate stage set of EWF, so that would make some sense
    Because ST had already showcased JB, Sly, Chuck Berry, and even War live. And that was way before they blew up commercially.

There was a 1978 episode of ST that featured concert footage of EWF at the Capitol Centre in Maryland. That was very interesting.

Thumbs up

Other acts that didn't appear on ST were: Slave
    They're archived for a show in 1981 :

Soul Train
    Rockie Robbins / Slave
    Season 11, Episode 12, Aired 12/19/81

EPISODE SUMMARY

Rockie Robbins - "Time to Think" & "I Believe in You."

Slave - "Snap Shot" & "Wait For Me."

CAST & CREW

Don Cornelius
    Host [ seasons 1-27 ]

Rockie Robbins

Slave
    Guests

http://www.tv.com/shows/soul-train/r...-slave-114393/

Do to copyright infringements and Prince being the total control freak that he is,
    the Time vid has been muted

Episode Guide > Season 11, Episode 9
    Patti LaBelle / The Time / James Wesley Jackson

Air Date: Saturday November 14, 1981
    Production Code: 375

Episode Summary:
    Patti LaBelle - "We Are Family" and "Over the Rainbow."
    The Time - "Get it Up" and "Cool."
    James Wesley Jackson [[comedian)

http://soultrain.com/blog/wp-content...time-5-375.jpg

http://soultrain.com/blog/wp-content...view-4-375.jpg

Episode Guide > Season 12, Episode 11
    The Time / Magic Lady

Air Date: Saturday December 25, 1982
    Production Code: Unknown

Episode Summary:
    The Time - "777-9311" and "The Walk"
    Magic Lady - "Red Hot Stuff" and "Give It Up"
    Soul Train History Book Segment: David Bowie - "Fame" [[taken from Soul Train Episode #165, 03-Jan-1976)

Maybe Don was more open to live singing later, as he let Luther do his thing.
    Clearly audible is the spontaneous and direct acoustic sound of his and Cheryl Lynn's voice in the studio.
    Maybe Lutha was an exception, nevertheless 3 exceptional performances for sure.

This sounds like the most logical explanation. My opinion

There's the obvious answer right there. Didn't the rest of you guys actually watch Soul Train when it was on? NO ONE sang live! ST was definitely able to accomodate large sets, so that wasn't the reason. If you want to see a HUGE band fit on the ST stage, look no further than this sensational performance by Lady T from 1988:

Sugarchile, how can you say no one ever performed live when some of remember acts who did and there are links of
    live performances above your post?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTUaKKLEaY

one of my favorites of all time...

I don't understand why Don and Maurice couldn't work that out as others had...
    Last edited by splanky; 12-31-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: forgot link.

Uhm yeah, those Luther Vandross performances on Soul Train are definitely sung live. Did anyone even check those?

Quote Originally Posted by cozmic View Post
    Uhm yeah, those Luther Vandross performances on Soul Train are definitely sung live. Did anyone even check those?
    Ummm, I forgot to watch those before I added to the thread. My apologies and I do stand corrected!

Loving Lu's "House" - though my fave of that song is his performance at the '86 NAACP Image Awards!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    Ummm, I forgot to watch those before I added to the thread. My apologies and I do stand corrected!

Loving Lu's "House" - though my fave of that song is his performance at the '86 NAACP Image Awards!
    That's ok! Yeah, "House" is a classic. I'll have to look around on youtube for that NAACP performance. Good call!

And cool that the Soul Train performance of "'House" was broadcasted completely for 7+ minutes!
    I'm not sure how often Don had an artist perform a song this expanded. Seems that the Luther-episode was one of a kind.

Thanks again and a good one for 2012!
    Last edited by cozmic; 01-01-2012 at 08:55 AM.

I remember that "House Is Not A Home" performance and had no idea that it was that long. Kudos to "Soul Train" for airing the entire performance and Teena Marie worked it for sure. Here's one of my favorite ST live vocal performances

Thanks for the correction Cozmic. Don't remember if I seen that Slave episode. Btw, there's been other live performances before LV. I already posted the WAR performance. Haven't seen any of your posts here in awhile. good to have you back.
    And to the newbie,its obvious that Soul Train is not your place of expertise so before you try "correcting" people who knows what they're talking about, make sure you get your facts straight or wind up with eggs on your face. Its like trying to tell a bus driver who's been driving the same routes for years,that he's going the wrong way. Glad you owned up to your mistake.
    As for the Teena Marie set, there has been other other large ensemble on ST, but none compares to EWF. To get an idea on how large EWF's set was, here they are on Midnight Special>

As Timmyfunk stated above, Don couldn't accommodate them playing live at the time. So I'm guessing besides the singing live that it would have been to much of a hassle with all of their equipment.

Here are some live ST performances>

So there you have it
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 01-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Another great clip

Thumbs up

Thanks for the correction Cozmic. Don't remember if I seen that Slave episode. Btw, there's been other live performances before LV. I already posted the WAR performance. Haven't seen any of your posts here in awhile. good to have you back.
    Hey, thanks again P-Shark for your shout out!
    Yeah, i hope that the Slave footage on Soul Train might appear online one day.