[REMOVE ADS]

dzMusica Guest

Kim Weston and Marvin Gaye: Did they have a romance?

Hello All,

I always found it interesting how close they were. All the other woman talk about how he looked etc. Shed some light, were they romantically involved, in any way?

Sincerely,
    dzMusica
    Last edited by dzMusica; 11-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.

I think the reason why she was the only one he recorded with in the studio was because the work they did together was recorded earlier on in Motown's history. As the recording process began to change at Motown, it changed the way artists worked with one another in the studio. "It Takes Two" was recorded in late 1965. Other Marvin duets were recorded afterwards and I think that's when Motown started changing from the 3 and 8-track recording systems to 16-track. Am I right??

Is there any reason to assume that Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells were not in the studio together recording their songs?

Not sure about when multi-tracking came in. But I believe some of the Marvin/Tammi duets were recorded with them on the same mike as well.

Re Kim and Marvin as a couple, I don't think so. Kim has always described Marvin in brotherly terms. And since both were married at the time of their duets, I would assume the relationship was platonic.

I think generally speaking Carlo is right about this.

Most of the later duets were most often done separately.

I've never understood why they had Marvin and Diana do them the old way and then of course, that was just used to make a big story out of nothing.

dzMusica Guest
    This is Motown, not Pleasantville. Marriage is a farce to Motown.

Whatever anyone thought about Marvin, it doesn't look like he found it easy to have relationships, or even necessary, in the usual sexual sense, with fans, collaborators, or anyone else. No reason why he should, really. If sex is a big thing, you could see it as a Freudian hang up that somehow came from his bonkers father. The truth seems more simple - that he got more satisfaction from fellow artists than sex and shagging.

Alot of Mary Wells & Marvin Gaye were recorded separately, per Mary Wells as they were both constantly working.I think the rumor that started about Kim & Marvin being an item was because one of Berry Gordy sisters didn't like or was jealous of Kim.I think they were just fellow artist.

Motony- It was my impression that Kim was a true Christian and was devoted to Mickey Stevenson. As far as the Gordy women Marvin married Anna Gordy up till about 1977. The 'Here My Dear' LP was part of the divorce settlement. Even then he was in a relationship with a younger woman named Jan.

I really hope that Kim doesn't read this thread because she would be highly offended at the suggestion of a relationship with Marvin. I was with her last night at a Christmas concert here in the UK and she is a deeply religious woman with a very profound Christian faith. She always described Marvin as a brother and a great friend and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    I really hope that Kim doesn't read this thread because she would be highly offended at the suggestion of a relationship with Marvin. I was with her last night at a Christmas concert here in the UK and she is a deeply religious woman with a very profound Christian faith. She always described Marvin as a brother and a great friend and nothing more.
    Wear-as we've all fallen short of glory...I do agree that there was no affair, however, I'm sure publicity people may have played with this to sell records. There were rumors about Marvin and Mary Wells and even JET magazine once stated that the recording sessions with Marvin & Diana were "Steamy" when most Motown enthusiasts know they recorded separately. A lot of men were crazy about kim., especially at the Howard theater in DC. She had dangerous curves and a little waist. They would yell at her from the audience the same was the girls would scream for Marvin...She was a brickhouse!

Kim is a classy lady and was married! I never would think they had anything going on. They were a great duet team nothing more.

So who shot John? And where is the body? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    Motown artists really read this forum?

All the time, Dz, all the time.