[REMOVE ADS]

Kelly price finally gets it right

I can remember the first time that I REALLY heard Kelly Price. I was driving and "Friend of Mine" came on the radio. I was literally blown away by the vocal performance, so much so, that I had to pull over. Later realized that I had previously heard her on a few hooks for some hip hop tracks. Growing up in Detroit and hanging around the church scene, this is the type of singing that I heard all of the time but not on the radio in the 90's. I purchased her cds from that day forward. With the exception of her Christmas cd, they all left me wanting more. That is, more as far as quality of songs and production. They were usually hit and miss. Her gospel cd actually sucked [[can I say that...lol). Well, it did, was poorly done but I still loved Kelly, the voice.
    Earlier this year she released "Kelly" on the independant My Block label and I love the cd. Can't believe that I never posted bout the cd as much as I've played it. Looks like she came from the heart on this one.
    The first single "Tired" is big vocally and builds. Not my favorite track on the disc but it's a good song.
    She duets with Stokley of Mint Condition on "Not My Daddy", which was also featured on Mint Conditions "7" cd.
    The funky "And You Don't Stop" samples War's "Galaxy" and is a guarenteed mover.
    "I'm Sorry" is a beautiful song that she cleverly sings to herself for the bad choices that she's made in life. My favorite ballad "The Rain" starts off sweet with Kelly singing her face off near the end. She got so caught up on this one, I thought my speakers were going to blow.
    The very funky "Vexed" is as pleasing musically as it is vocally and "Speechless" has a Prince feel to it.
    "Feels So Good" is the perfect driving song with a smooth groove and Kelly practicing vocal restraints as she croons through this number.
    "Lil Sumthin' Sumthin" reminds me of classic Betty Wright while "Get Right or Get Left" is something that Gladys or Aretha could have easily recorded some 35 years ago. There are a few other noteworthy tracks here. Hopefully Kelly will keep the momentum going with this real good, feel good cd. Name:  kell.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  14.6 KB
    Last edited by glencro; 11-22-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Two Grammy noms. I guess someone else is listening