[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    dzMusica Guest

    Dancing in the Street: Who was it written/produced for

    Hello everyone,

    There seems to me a little conflict in who 'Dancing in the Street' was actually written for. Was it written for Kim Weston or Martha Reeves? From all I can gather it was for Martha.

    Sincerely,
    dzMusica
    Last edited by dzMusica; 11-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by dzMusica View Post
    Hello everyone,

    There seems to me a little conflict in who 'Dancing in the Street' was actually written for. Was it written for Kim Weston or Martha Reeves? From all I can gather it was for Martha.

    Sincerely,
    dzMusica
    I have heard that because of Mickey Stevenson's involvement with the record "Dancing in the Streets" that Kim Weston thought that it should have been given to her to record. When it was not and was done by Martha & the Vandellas going on to become one of Motown's biggest hits, it caused some friction between Mickey and Kim who were married at that time. Again, that is only what I have heard.......

    Marv

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    Rep Power
    142
    I heard that someone told Kim weston in the 80's that it was writen for her & she was shocked to hear that. I think it was writen for Martha & we she did it in one take everyone in the studio looked at each other & said "Its A Smash Hit" which was a 60's saying. I think people are getting "My Baby Loves Me" mixed up as that is the one that Mickey wrote that Kim wanted.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,821
    Rep Power
    175
    According to Martha, Marvin Gaye originally recorded the song as a demo for her and sang it far differently than she wanted. She said he made it sound more like a love song with the whole "Calling out around the world / Are you ready for a brand new beat, baby?" She said she did several attempts singing it the way he did, but couldn't get into the song so she asked to sing it her way. They did the first take, but forgot to record it, so they redid it again. So we are hearing Martha's second attempt at singing it her way.

  5. #5
    selinasian Guest
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Kim never really wanted to sing the quicker songs and much prefered doing ballads, but if Marvin's version was originally a 'love song' then perhaps Kim would've been interested.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,599
    Rep Power
    172
    Well, it is definitely NOT a love song. Martha just meant he sang it in a way that reminded her of how love songs
    go, I think.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,599
    Rep Power
    172
    And, yes, selinasian, I do recall Kim saying she preferred ballads to the faster paced songs.

  8. #8
    selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Well, it is definitely NOT a love song. Martha just meant he sang it in a way that reminded her of how love songs
    go, I think.
    Yeah, I suppose Marvin could've sung trash metal and made it sound like a love song!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,076
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    According to Martha, Marvin Gaye originally recorded the song as a demo for her and sang it far differently than she wanted. She said he made it sound more like a love song with the whole "Calling out around the world / Are you ready for a brand new beat, baby?" She said she did several attempts singing it the way he did, but couldn't get into the song so she asked to sing it her way. They did the first take, but forgot to record it, so they redid it again. So we are hearing Martha's second attempt at singing it her way.
    While I love Marvin Gaye, I can't imagine anyone else but Martha singing Dancing in the Street.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,720
    Rep Power
    174
    sorry guys no one and I mean no one sings that song better than Martha

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    Rep Power
    142
    amen to that, captainjames!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,210
    Rep Power
    149
    Martha looking beautiful here clears up some controversy concerning "Dancing in the Street"

    Last edited by loveblind; 11-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    I also like Stevie Wonder's version [[eh?) Oh no that's Love A Go Go innit?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,860
    Rep Power
    195
    Don't ever argue with Martha's memory. She's 100% on the nail. There have been so many stories about who did what. Do not mention them to Martha. She has the truth in her hands.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    Rep Power
    142
    Thank you, loveblind for posting that. Martha really does an EXCELLENT job with the media.She is a great spokesperson for Motown in general.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.