[REMOVE ADS]

Wink Velvelettes in NYC

marybrewster [[marybrewster)
    6-Zenith
    Username: marybrewster

Post Number: 1968
    Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 10:02 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can someone answer a few questions about the Velvelettes?

1) Does Betty ever join them; it's true she was an original member?

2) Does there set ever consist of any other Motown songs [[I see above it's mentioned "Your Heart Belongs to Me") but wondering if there is anything else Motown, or maybe a Motown medley?

3) Do they do any 'current' songs [[from time to time you'll see someone like Aretha do a Mariah number, etc.)

Thanks!

Marybrewster. Here is my reply..

Betty isn't able to commit to a full performance as she used to be able to.

In America, every one of the Velvelettes performances will include a Motown Medley. Bertha takes the solo on My Guy. It's only when the Velvelettes come to the UK, that the promoters insist on Velvelettes only recorded tracks and they normally make their selection from the Motown Anthology CD. I pressure...err, I mean coax, the ladies hard to re-learn those songs from years ago!

Cal still has a wonderful voice but I know I am biased. However, the ladies have to sing what the promoter wants them to, so it's not a case of what can they sing but what they are asked to sing. But Cal can sing current material too and keeps reminding me that she would like to do some country and western material. She sings in church every week and takes it seriously because she loves it.

Marybrewster...if you ever get a chance to talk to these ladies. grab it. As I know you're a Supremes fan, make a dive for Norma.....to ask her about when she auditioned for Flo's place in 1967 or the "battle" against the Supremes in 1964!!

John Lester

smark21 Guest
    I was at the Velvelettes LIncoln Center show. They didn't do a Motown medley though they did encore with Dancing in the Streeets with every act on the afternoon bill.

Thanks John Lester for your valuable informaton. I've been thinking about that Velvelettes Anthology; maybe this was just the push I needed!

smark21

Ok you got me there. I have to concede...you are absolutely right.

Consider me well and truly scolded.

Marybrewster

I hope you do buy the CD. It's one of the events of my life that I am most proud of.

Got the copy of this photo that was in the Cleggy Weekender
    Programme [[2002) signed by the ladies back then ....
    Attachment 43
    Will be chasing them for some more signatures in October.

John

I'll send you a scan of the original......which was thankfully done by Paul Nixon.

Are the pictures taken at The Velvelettes recent New York appearance posted anywhere is a larger size? Thanks! [[Sorry that I missed the performance!)

Longtimefan

You got me on that one mate....not sure I can help you there. I can only suggest a google search on the internet. Come back and tell us all if you find any

Hey Longtimefan, there are some pics on my facebook page if that helps

Thanks, Spyder. However, I have clicked through your Facebook page carefully and can't find the pictures that you are referring to. There seems to be no picture section. I thank you for the reply in any case! Have a great day.

hi Longtimefan, I don't know what the problem is but I just got comments on photos a couple of minutes ago, there are over 200 pics on my page

Thanks, Spyder. I have enjoyed visiting your Facebook page, but I simply cannot find any pictures or files attached. I will keep looking in the 'net for pictures of The Velvelettes' appearance at this event!. I enjoyed the sound recording very much .. and YOUR music.

Another vote for the Anthology here - it's well worth it, especially at the prices it goes for these days. There's tonnes of great stuff on there!

The commission cheque is in the post!

lol