[REMOVE ADS]

Ebony Affair TV show [[mid 70's)

Can anyone remember the US TV show Ebony Affair ........
    Attachment 3855
    Timmy Thomas recorded a song that was to be used as the TV show's theme [[though the song wasn't released on LP till 74 and on 45 till 75).
    It was a sort of 'Soul Train' type of music show I believe.
    I have been told that the St Louis group the Hypnotics [[Reprise: 1973) appeared on one edition of the show
    ...... PLUS ... I found a reference to another edition of the show that featured the Dramatics, First Choice & the Invitations.
    Have any clips from the show made it onto video or DVD ?
    ALL HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.

Found these messages on the old forum [[posted over 8 years ago) ....
    …. does anyone remember "Ebony Affair"? I remember it used to come on right before Soul Train on Channel 5 in NYC on Saturday mornings. It was a half-hour show. I forget who hosted it, but I remember the Dynamic Superiors doing "Shoe Shoe Shine"; Sylvia doing "Pillow Talk"; and Ann Peebles doing "I Can't Stand The Rain" among others. Not sure if it lasted a year or 2, but I know it didn't have a long run.
    ….... have two episodes of "An Ebony Affair" a friend of mine copied for me. The Moments hosted one show and Betty Wright hosted [[as well as performed) on the other. These shows featured the Gary Toms Empire [["7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Blow Your Whistle")and Jimmy Briscoe. The quality of the tape is okay - not great. ..... Kevin Goins - KevGo
    So someone on here must know a bit more about this show.
    The guy out of the Hypnotics said that his group went to Alexandria, VA. to film their segment in the show.

An ad for the show from Aug 1975 .........
    Attachment 3856
    It was showing in the Baltimore & Washington areas [[+ many others no doubt) back then.

I remember it. I think I caught a few shows during one of my summer vacations down South. I vaguely remember an episode with Betty Wright and maybe Tamiko Jones?

yes i have a bunch of these shows! they used to come on here in new york, before soultrain!

Classic Master, can you let us know who the guest artists were on the shows you have copies of.
    Do the Hypnotics [[a male trio from St Louis that was led by James Thompson who wrote many of Gene Chandler's 70's hits) appear on any of the shows you have copies of. If so which other acts were on that edition ?

I never heard of the show. If it hadn't been for our remote area here in Arizona having cable T.V. via microwave transmission, and the ability to get KTTV from Los Angeles, we never even would have heard of Soul Train!

hey jsmith how are u? yes i have the show with the hypnotics. the other shows i have are with bobby womack, latimore, millie jackson, the dramatics, dynamic superiors and all the ones you mention in your post and eddie kendricks and others.

RE: ........ yes i have the show with the hypnotics .....
    Classic Master, can you let me know who else was on the show [[the other artists) & who presented that edition.
    I'm currently in touch with the Hypnotics leader James Thompson & am sure he would love a copy of his group's performance [[he recently suffered a house fire that destroyed all his memorabilia).

ok. let me go thru my dvd's and i'll get back to u with the song list, buddy!

Many thanks.

ebonyaffair1

"I just ran across your posts regarding the Ebony Affair TV Show. I was one of the models in the show, John Jackson was the creator/Director and David Simms was one of the producers. I have been surfing the web to try and find something that might have footage from the show. One of the perfomers you mentioned was the Dramatics, I was in the seen from their song "Hey You, get off my mountain". I would love to find out what you or the other person has from the show and if there are any seens with the models; not the dancers but the models.

Please get back to me!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Can anyone remember the US TV show Ebony Affair ........
    Attachment 3855
    Timmy Thomas recorded a song that was to be used as the TV show's theme [[though the song wasn't released on LP till 74 and on 45 till 75).
    It was a sort of 'Soul Train' type of music show I believe.
    I have been told that the St Louis group the Hypnotics [[Reprise: 1973) appeared on one edition of the show
    ...... PLUS ... I found a reference to another edition of the show that featured the Dramatics, First Choice & the Invitations.
    Have any clips from the show made it onto video or DVD ?
    ALL HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.

hi Ebonyaffair1,

I have a few episodes of this show.. Shoot me an email at bodiddleyman@Gmail.com and I'll get back to you on what I have tonight when I get a chance to locate my copies.

Quote Originally Posted by ebonyaffair1 View Post
    "I just ran across your posts regarding the Ebony Affair TV Show. I was one of the models in the show, John Jackson was the creator/Director and David Simms was one of the producers. I have been surfing the web to try and find something that might have footage from the show. One of the perfomers you mentioned was the Dramatics, I was in the seen from their song "Hey You, get off my mountain". I would love to find out what you or the other person has from the show and if there are any seens with the models; not the dancers but the models.

Please get back to me!!"

ebonyaffair1

hi MadLad:

Thank you for responding, I will shoot you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by MadLad View Post
    hi Ebonyaffair1,

I have a few episodes of this show.. Shoot me an email at bodiddleyman@Gmail.com and I'll get back to you on what I have tonight when I get a chance to locate my copies.

I have a newspaper ad promoting the show [[posted it here originally but had to take it down as my attachment quota ran out). Will post it again if it is of interest to you.
    What else can you recall about the show & it's shooting.
    Location of studio , time taken to get an episode in the can [[incl rehearsals), other acts on there, any video / film footage of acts used, any songs played without act being there [[just dancers being shown), ETC.

ebonyaffair1

"Yes I would like to see the ad. Most of what we did as models was taped and used when and where ever John wanted to use it. I can only remember one artist that we were interacting with and that was Edwin Starr. The Dramatics were not in the studio when the scene for "Get off my mountain" was shot. We were in the studio when Eddie Kendricks was there and Rufus Thomas. The studio was in Virginia. There was also an office downtown D.C. We did meet the dancers but most of the time we would be leaving when the dancers were arriving. I was not involved with the mechanics of the shoots and the timeline. For the most part, we taped our scenes and we were done. We also participated in an awards show John Jackson produced in DC. I am really interested in finding out if anyone has episodes or footage with the models in it."

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I have a newspaper ad promoting the show [[posted it here originally but had to take it down as my attachment quota ran out). Will post it again if it is of interest to you.
    What else can you recall about the show & it's shooting.
    Location of studio , time taken to get an episode in the can [[incl rehearsals), other acts on there, any video / film footage of acts used, any songs played without act being there [[just dancers being shown), ETC.

Merry Christmas all! Last night, I stumbled over a treasure trove of videos posted by John Jackson producer of Ebony Love Affair, many of which I was seeing for the first time, and I believe these videos of many of the artists are only avaliable on his channel. They include many artists who were not necessarily commercially successful but are still hugely respected in soul circles. If you have not seen these before, do take a look!

Just some, in no particular order, are;

Annette Snell

The Persuaders

New York City

The Floaters

The Delfonics

The Moments

Finishing Touch

The Soul Generation

Billy Preston

Charles Mann

Cliff Noble

Sylvia

Betty Wright

Eddie Kendricks

The Fantastic Four

The Modulations

Barbara Mason

Prince Philip Mitchell

Tommy Young

Bettye Swann

The Dramatics

The Detroit Emeralds

The Detroit Spinners / Spinners

Margie Joseph

Joe Anderson

Leon Haywood

Luther Ingram

Bobby Womack

Jeannie Reynolds

Tavares

Denise LaSalle

Mel and Tim

Faith Hope and Charity

The Creative Source

George McCrae

Archie Bell and The Drells

Jackie Moore

Gwen McCrae

Millie Jackson

Ernest Jackson

The First Class

Peoples Choice

Here's a taster.....Archie Bell and The Drells .....great choreography...and to see the other videos on youtube, just click on johnjackson's name and it will take you to all the videos

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Another fave.....The Persuaders Bad Bold & Beautiful

we never got that show in Orlando. I would love to see Annette Snell on the show. She was killed in a passenger jet crash in Ga. that had taken off from Huntsville, Al. in 1977. She had been recording in Muscle Shoals.

motony, Annette Snell for you

and another. I loved her work with the wonderfully talented Paul Kelly

OMG, thanks so much. I hope her family sees this.

Big thanks to jsmith for his posts on the Ebony Affair TV series. This show was just about lost to history and now we have clips with great performances from the series.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Merry Christmas all! Last night, I stumbled over a treasure trove of videos posted by John Jackson producer of Ebony Love Affair, many of which I was seeing for the first time, and I believe these videos of many of the artists are only avaliable on his channel. They include many artists who were not necessarily commercially successful but are still hugely respected in soul circles. If you have not seen these before, do take a look!

Just some, in no particular order, are;

Annette Snell

The Persuaders

New York City

The Floaters

The Delfonics

The Moments

Finishing Touch

The Soul Generation

Billy Preston

Charles Mann

Cliff Noble

Sylvia

Betty Wright

Eddie Kendricks

The Fantastic Four

The Modulations

Barbara Mason

Prince Philip Mitchell

Tommy Young

Bettye Swann

The Dramatics

The Detroit Emeralds

The Detroit Spinners / Spinners

Margie Joseph

Joe Anderson

Leon Haywood

Luther Ingram

Bobby Womack

Jeannie Reynolds

Tavares

Denise LaSalle

Mel and Tim

Faith Hope and Charity

The Creative Source

George McCrae

Archie Bell and The Drells

Jackie Moore

Gwen McCrae

Millie Jackson

Ernest Jackson

The First Class

Peoples Choice

Here's a taster.....Archie Bell and The Drells .....great choreography...and to see the other videos on youtube, just click on johnjackson's name and it will take you to all the videos

Thanks for the info! I look forward to seeing these performances from Ebony Affair on YouTube.

Usually I ignore dug up old threads but this one unearths pay dirt. Thank you, Mike.
    Too much gets lost to history in this great music. Far too much...

You're very welcome splanky. Do you think I should start a new thread, as if others also tend to ignore old threads, they'll miss some really special performances? I mean, who would ever have thought they could for example see Jeanne Reynolds 'The Phone's been jumping all Day' , or Annette Snell, or The Finishing Touch?

Have a great holiday splanky!
    Mike

Definitely, Mike! I have to see that Jeanne Reynolds myself...Thanks, have a great one
    yourself...

Never heard of the show but many thanks for bringing this from the forgotten past. Any videos of Archie Bell and the Drells is a treat for me. Even the artist that I've not heard of is a double treat. If there are more videos please keep us informed and thank you. Merry Christmas to one and all!