[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Patti Labelle addresses audience about RTL

I know sh'es on the shit list right about now... but apparently the audience is in full support of her statements:

I think she made that dress from a tent seized at Occupy Wall Street.

yawn.......

LOL @ Kenneth.

Y'all hear about Patti's new lawsuit? Not only getting people to beat up cadets, now she's throwing bottles at babies and punching mothers. What? lol I understand being upset at someone supposedly "scampering" a lobby but did she really have to? lol

2011 has not been a good year for Ms. Patti Patti.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I know sh'es on the shit list right about now... but apparently the audience is in full support of her statements:

Big yawn for a very tired subject.

Thanks Jill-her bluntness is refreshing!

I remember Patti speaking out about the situation surrounding the Return to Love Tour. She was a bit more free and detailed with her thoughts about it here in New York. She can be quite direct.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Jill-her bluntness is refreshing!
    "Me and Keith Sweat ain't going out!" lol

How old is this ? She already tried the Labelle tour and it tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    How old is this ? She already tried the Labelle tour and it tanked.
    I never heard about the Labelle tour not doing well. Do you have any sources to back up this assertion?

My understanding is the tour did ok-not great but not horrible. I believe one show was moved to a smaller venue. It was sure packed when I went.

I remember vividly from several press sources that the Labelle Tour was a more or less unexpected succes.

If you read Soulful Divas by David Nathan, and some comments by Gladys Knight and Patti, you will find the diva they don't get on with is Aretha.

But poor Patti, she's had a bad year; something isn't right; she's quite a bit beyond her Best Before Date. Maybe a break would be a good idea. None of these girls are coming up with hit material at their age; all the kids just think what we thought of Frank Sinatra........OLD.

The tour did okay. The timing was terrible--it started right as the economic meltdown began and everybody was afraid to spend money on entertainment. Then there were snow storms everywhere [[the storm on opening night at the Apollo was so bad it knocked out the electricity for a while and the sound system never recovered) and the shows were scheduled right around Christmas so people were busy with that. Also--I believe Labelle should have reunited when the re-make of Lady M was at number one, but unfortunately Nona and Patti were already involved with other projects so they had to do the tour when their schedules were clear. So the timing was all wrong. The album did fairly well, considering the economic meltdown and the fact that the group wasn't very well known to the average person on the street. I'm just glad I finally got to see them live--although it was clear both Patti and Sarah's voices were not as strong as they once were. Patti was constantly complaining about not feeling well and had to sit down a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Patti was constantly complaining about not feeling well and had to sit down a lot.
    Didn't she have to have someone bring her chocolate cake onstage? I remember seeing a clip from one of the shows and she seemed to be having some sort of diabetic thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Didn't she have to have someone bring her chocolate cake onstage? I remember seeing a clip from one of the shows and she seemed to be having some sort of diabetic thing going on.
    That happened at the Apollo on the second night. She also had to wear flats for a stretch instead of her usual pumps.

I caught the shows at the Apollo and the Beacon. Both were very good. But I think after that, the tour just sort of petered out. Months later, at a benefit that Patti was headlining, I spoke with one of her staff. I mentioned the reunion shows, and he shook his head. He didn't elaborate, but said there was some strain among the principals.

Good point BobC. I was at the Apollo the first night which was a mess. Patti just sat down and seemed mad or out of it when electric system shut down. Nona seemed to take over. Patti seemed ill overall. But vocally they were fantastic. Sarah seems stronger than ever to me.

I was there the first night at the Apollo too. You really think Sarah sounded better than ever? Not me--I don't think her voice has aged well--it's lower than it used to be. Check out the live clip from 1976 of Labelle doing "Going Down Makes Me Shiver" on Youtube-- she was absolutely stunning.

Well it seemed that the whole country was in agreement with her statement that Diana Ross should have only done that tour with Mary and Cindy. They voted with their wallets and pocketbooks!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well it seemed that the whole country was in agreement with her statement that Diana Ross should have only done that tour with Mary and Cindy. They voted with their wallets and pocketbooks!
    They sure showed Patti. Maybe SHE should have had Cindy on her tour since she was so concerned.

Why? It was a Labelle reunion not a Bluebelles reunion.

As I said, she was so concerned about Cindy in the Supremes show. She could have easily done a Bluebelle segment and included Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That happened at the Apollo on the second night. She also had to wear flats for a stretch instead of her usual pumps.

I caught the shows at the Apollo and the Beacon. Both were very good. But I think after that, the tour just sort of petered out. Months later, at a benefit that Patti was headlining, I spoke with one of her staff. I mentioned the reunion shows, and he shook his head. He didn't elaborate, but said there was some strain among the principals.
    So, essentially, Nona couldn't put up with her crazy ass? This is no surprise.

So, essentially, Nona couldn't put up with her crazy ass? This is no surprise.
    I think you just nailed it jillfoster.

Roberta

I guess you can never really go back...

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    As I said, she was so concerned about Cindy in the Supremes show. She could have easily done a Bluebelle segment and included Cindy.
    No, there are certain principles we all learn that we should live by. Doing what's right and fair is one of them. I understand now, that there are others that have grown up totally A-MORAL and have very little concern or compassion for their fellow human being. What Patti meant was clear to me. The right and fair thing that Diana Ross should have done was to have Mary and Cindy on that tour being that they were the ones in the group with her before she went solo.

I guess you can never really go back...
    So, Bob..... you said she cooked you dinner once, I'm dying to know, what did she fix? Was it any good?

A friend of mine has a Patti Labelle cookbook so I bet she can throw down in the kitchen.

I bet she can, too.

Hi Jill

It was a long time ago--maybe 1989--and it was some sort of cajun thing with shrimp if I recall correctly. It was great! . I remember that she had all these cooking things with her like hot plates and seasonings--and I was thinking that was weird because this was the height of her career and she could just go to a restaurant. Apparently she just liked to cook! Patti was nice but she talked down several other singers who will remain nameless. It was funny, really, but she always acted like she was good friends with these two singers when she talked about them on TV. Oh well--who knows?

Hi Jill

It was a long time ago--maybe 1989--and it was some sort of cajun thing with shrimp if I recall correctly. It was great! . I remember that she had all these cooking things with her like hot plates and seasonings--and I was thinking that was weird because this was the height of her career and she could just go to a restaurant. Apparently she just liked to cook! Patti was nice but she talked down several other singers who will remain nameless. It was funny, really, but she always acted like she was good friends with these two singers when she talked about them on TV. Oh well--who knows?
    You don't have to answer but I'd say the two singers are Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight. Am I warm?

Roberta

Uhhhhh...I can neither confirm nor deny those names. But I do believe "horse-faced heffer" [[something close to that) was used to describe one. Hee hee!

Uhhhhh...I can neither confirm nor deny those names. But I do believe "horse-faced heffer" [[something close to that) was used to describe one. Hee hee!
    LOL Thanks BobC. Miss Patti is a piece of work huh?

Oh.... now you've got me all atwitter! I'd love some juicy dirt on this. you can send a private message if you don't feel comfortable divulging in public. Cajun shrimp dish... sounds similar to that dish Aretha made on Rolanda Watts' show.

I try not to get into these peoples' personal lives--but other people who were there kind of egged Patti on. Patti seemed sane to me at this time--I have no idea what's going on with her these days--but then again I don't know Patti on a personal level. That was the only time I spent time with her like that and I was pretty shy, unlike others. Nona has always spoken highly of Patti-- but I have never heard Nona say a bad word about anybody. I asked Nona what she thought about the Labelle reunion and she said they had some stellar nights on that tour. I didn't pry.

Jill--I would rather not say, but it isn't hard to guess. I also recall she didn't like Diana Ross at all--and I can say that because she's already spoken about it publicly. I remember Patti telling that story about how DR had copied the Bluebelle's stage costumes back in the old days when they toured together--making the Bluebelles look like they were copying the Supremes. She said she wanted to beat DR up. All the while she's talking about that incident, I was thinking that I'd already heard that story from a guy who used to work for the Supremes--only it was the Vandellas that DR stole costumes from! Later when Martha Reeves wrote her memoirs, she talked about it--and so did Mary Wilson--and it was definitely not the Bluebelles. So did DR bite the style of both groups? I don't know! But I doubt it. It reminded me of how Patti talked about how, when she was dating Otis from the Temptations, that she had to break up with him because he insisted she quit show-biz. If you read Otis' memoirs, he talks about reading that in Patti's book and he had no idea what she was talking about! He said he'd never ask another singer to quit singing. Sooooo--take these things as you will, but I personally feel Patti may have a "rich inner life."

Whaaa[[t)?! Thats rough!

I try not to get into these peoples' personal lives--but other people who were there kind of egged Patti on. Patti seemed sane to me at this time--I have no idea what's going on with her these days--but then again I don't know Patti on a personal level. That was the only time I spent time with her like that and I was pretty shy, unlike others. Nona has always spoken highly of Patti-- but I have never heard Nona say a bad word about anybody. I asked Nona what she thought about the Labelle reunion and she said they had some stellar nights on that tour. I didn't pry.
    Your story reminds of that clip that use to be on Youtube from Patti's old TV Show. In the clip I saw she had Phylicia Rashad and another woman I can't remember her name at the moment in her kitchen and Patti was feeding them something she had made when she commented about wanting to go to Detroit and cut Diana Ross up when Cindy Birdsong defected to the Supremes. It was funny to me.

Nona Hendryx has definitely had her share of things to say about others [[even on national television programs like "Video Soul" with Donnie Simpson). But hey these are women of a certain age that came up a similar way. It is not out of character at all to have them say and do certain things. Even if they were not entertainers, there are a lot of woman that act like this. It's hard to explain and be politically correct at the same time LOL!

Jill--I would rather not say, but it isn't hard to guess. I also recall she didn't like Diana Ross at all--and I can say that because she's already spoken about it publicly. I remember Patti telling that story about how DR had copied the Bluebelle's stage costumes back in the old days when they toured together--making the Bluebelles look like they were copying the Supremes. She said she wanted to beat DR up. All the while she's talking about that incident, I was thinking that I'd already heard that story from a guy who used to work for the Supremes--only it was the Vandellas that DR stole costumes from! Later when Martha Reeves wrote her memoirs, she talked about it--and so did Mary Wilson--and it was definitely not the Bluebelles. So did DR bite the style of both groups? I don't know! But I doubt it. It reminded me of how Patti talked about how, when she was dating Otis from the Temptations, that she had to break up with him because he insisted she quit show-biz. If you read Otis' memoirs, he talks about reading that in Patti's book and he had no idea what she was talking about! He said he'd never ask another singer to quit singing. Sooooo--take these things as you will, but I personally feel Patti may have a "rich inner life."

Nope, nope, nope! I believe Patti is telling the truth because I have seen the picture of the Supremes in the outfits that Patti describe Ross ripping them off for. Also, Otis needs to stop it! LOL! He said things in his book "Temptations" that Eddie Kendricks said never happened. The part where Otis describes being visited by Paul Williams ghost and then Otis telling Eddie about it and Eddie responding, "yeah.......he came to see me too" was not true and Otis made it up!

He could have asked her to quit being that his home base was Detroit and hers being Philly. Add to that all the traveling for performances. They would hardly ever see each other.

Marv--I cringe when I read old interviews with Nona--you are right, she used to talk crap. I have an article where she said Labelle could always "sing the Supremes under the table." I was shocked! That is not the woman I know. Maybe over time some of Nona's comments have come back to haunt her, so she's gotten less...uhhh...bitchy.

Marv--I cringe when I read old interviews with Nona--you are right, she used to talk crap. I have an article where she said Labelle could always "sing the Supremes under the table." I was shocked! That is not the woman I know. Maybe over time some of Nona's comments have come back to haunt her, so she's gotten less...uhhh...bitchy.
    Oh Nona use to talk beaucoup s*^t! She has said much worse than that. They all have! Name one that hasn't. You used the word "bitchy" I was thinking one that's different. Everyone of those woman that have been discussed on this forum has said "things" even the ones that are generally regarded as nearly "saints"! Even Cindy! LOL!!!

Yes, Bob... Diana stole dresses from Martha and them as well. More than once. the yellow they wear signing The Happening are just one such set.

Well actually Sarah didnt get much time solo singing at the show but I thought their harmonies were great. I heard a recent recording on her website called Im Still Here that is fantastic! And Patti also had a few choice things to say at another concert per Cindy and Mary not being included. It was published in a national magazine. It was great to hear her sticking up for the original Supremes, as did Jennifer Holiday!

Well actually Sarah didnt get much time solo singing at the show but I thought their harmonies were great. I heard a recent recording on her website called Im Still Here that is fantastic! And Patti also had a few choice things to say at another concert per Cindy and Mary not being included. It was published in a national magazine. It was great to hear her sticking up for the original Supremes, as did Jennifer Holiday!

Jennifer Holiday spoke up too?

Yes she did, about Mary being an original and should have been included.

smark21 Guest
    What did Shantal Baker have to say about RTL? Anyone know?

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    What did Shantal Baker have to say about RTL? Anyone know?
    I think Pearlie told her to shut up about it.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post
    I think Pearlie told her to shut up about it.
    Pearlie must have been upset that Diana picked Lynda and Scherrie to go on tour rather than herself and Shantal.

Yes she did, about Mary being an original and should have been included.
    That is interesting. I never knew that especially coming from her. So many celebrities voiced their opinions on RTL. Everyone from Jay Leno to Wilson Pickett, from Berry Gordy to Anita Ward! LOL!

Yep; and I didnt know about Jay and Wilson and Anita--what did they say?