[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Diana Ross back in the UK charts.

Diana Ross ‘The Greatest’ album entered the UK Album chart at #24.

Great to hear! Diana has always done well in the UK. They have good taste.

supreme_lady Guest
    Not bad at all, way to go Ms Ross, making it her highest charting album release there since "Take Me Higher" which reached #10 in 1995. Not shabby considering Diana did no promo to support it. It even out peaked 2001's compilation "Love & Life" which only hit #28 despite having a new single on it, Going Back..... hopefully with christmas approaching fast, it would climb even higher in the charts next week
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 11-15-2011 at 05:16 AM.

in the UK frequently the first week is the peak position, but with the holidays maybe this will rise..let us pray

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    in the UK frequently the first week is the peak position, but with the holidays maybe this will rise..let us pray
    I pray for many, many things but I refuse pray for a better chart position. Surely you jest?

Roberta

Sales look to have been around 9/9.5k.

You're going to have to pray harder though - in the first update for this week The Greatest has fallen out of the top 40.

smark21 Guest
    I pray that Shantal Baker's Greatest Hits CD will outsell this collection by the woman Shantal replaced in the Supremes.

Diana should bring her tour to the UK and then the CD sales will rise, as it did when she toured at the time One Woman collection was released 12 years ago.

The UK loves them some Miss Ross. Always has, always will. Nice showing.

It never ceases to amaze me that Diana is so enduringly popular here in Britain. We do tend to treasure our 'oldies' here. Despite her not having a single release for a few years or a U.K tour - she can still get a greatest hits in the top 30 charts. That is very impressive. Long live our second Queen!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that Diana is so enduringly popular here in Britain. We do tend to treasure our 'oldies' here. Despite her not having a single release for a few years or a U.K tour - she can still get a greatest hits in the top 30 charts. That is very impressive. Long live our second Queen!

That is sure not the case in the United States!

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Sales look to have been around 9/9.5k.

You're going to have to pray harder though - in the first update for this week The Greatest has fallen out of the top 40.
    It wouldn't surpise me if Diana's album dropped quickly from the chart. Then, maybe re-enter somewhere nearer Christmas.
    Still, she has now charted in the album chart here either solo or with the Supremes in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90,s 2000s and 2010s.

Here in America, she, Diana Ross has only had one single to chart in the last 27 years and that being "Take Me Higher" which got all the way up to #114 back in 1995.

At this point in time it is foolish to think Diana would have any success on the singles chart. But her detractors cling to her absence from that chart as some victory. They fail to mention her hit with Rod Stewart, her successful ALBUMS [[ILY) and BLUE.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    At this point in time it is foolish to think Diana would have any success on the singles chart. But her detractors cling to her absence from that chart as some victory. They fail to mention her hit with Rod Stewart, her successful ALBUMS [[ILY) and BLUE.
    No one under 35 would even know her musically speaking. What are you talking about ?

Wishful thinking Marv. The men love her, the women love her, and you can't stand it.... LMAO.

The charts don't lie, and Diana has done well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a few fans on this very site who are under 35? Just wondering.

Wishful thinking Marv. The men love her, the women love her, and you can't stand it.... LMAO.

The charts don't lie, and Diana has done well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a few fans on this very site who are under 35? Just wondering.
    Wishful thinking? I could care less, she's not paying me whether she hits or not! LOL! But speaking of the charts......here they are! LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

All those little tick marks under the "U.S." column, what do those mean.........?

Yeah there are some here that are under 35, but they are not typical and are very few in number. I probably should say most under 40 would not remember her being on the radio with new material.

Unknown by the Under 35 crowd, Oh Please....

Diana Ross is a legend with enough career songs between her solo work and The Supremes years that most people under 35 on the street know who she is, if not neccessarily all her career details. Baby Love, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, & You Can't Hurry Love get tons of exposure via AC airplay and movie placement. The diana LP singles and Love Hangover got a ton of sampling in the late nineties on hit singles for MC Lyte, Puffy Daddy, Mase, Monica, Will Smith, and The Notorious B.I.G. for them to be familiar with her work. Their older family members also probably expose them to her hits [[and the rest of the Motown family) frequently as well. They may not run out and buy her greatest hits packages or wait with bated breath for Deluxe Editions from Hip-O Select but they know Diana and respect her influence on people like Beyonce and Mariah Carey.

But I suppose we needed a trash fire ignited so some folks could save on their heating bills to warm themselves by....

I guess by just turning 36 this year, I barely made the cutoff. Thank God because I would find my life less fulfilling to have never known the artistry of Diana Ross and the individual Supremes. It would suck to have to worship Rihanna instead.....

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Wishful thinking? I could care less,
    Yeah, right! LOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Unknown by the Under 35 crowd, Oh Please....

Diana Ross is a legend with enough career songs between her solo work and The Supremes years that most people under 35 on the street know who she is, if not neccessarily all her career details. Baby Love, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, & You Can't Hurry Love get tons of exposure via AC airplay and movie placement. The diana LP singles and Love Hangover got a ton of sampling in the late nineties on hit singles for MC Lyte, Puffy Daddy, Mase, Monica, Will Smith, and The Notorious B.I.G. for them to be familiar with her work. Their older family members also probably expose them to her hits [[and the rest of the Motown family) frequently as well. They may not run out and buy her greatest hits packages or wait with bated breath for Deluxe Editions from Hip-O Select but they know Diana and respect her influence on people like Beyonce and Mariah Carey.

But I suppose we needed a trash fire ignited so some folks could save on their heating bills to warm themselves by....

I guess by just turning 36 this year, I barely made the cutoff. Thank God because I would find my life less fulfilling to have never known the artistry of Diana Ross and the individual Supremes. It would suck to have to worship Rihanna instead.....
    Stop it man, they don't! [[know Diana Ross). I live here in New York and if you ask just about any young person under 35, they'd either look at you like a fool, or they might respond something like..." Isn't she Joan from "Girlfriends" mom in real life?"! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    Yeah, right! LOLOLOL
    There isn't a day goes passed that he doesn't talk about Diane Ross but he doesn't care. Right. LOL

I remember the hits from Upside Down forward on Detroit Top 40 radio and some of the flops radio tried to play and the songs exiled to success only on the R&B chart for the few years 87-91 after that. I also remember the Red Hot TV Special, the promo blitz with Barbara Walters for Workin' Overtime, the American Music Awards hosting gigs, appearances at the Oscars and Grammys, and the appearance as mentor on American Idol. She may not have had huge success with those album eras but she still got plenty of exposure for someone that has been forgotten......

Yeah, right! LOLOLOL
    Seriously though. Can you explain why she has had so many many releases in in the last 30 years and most of them have tanked in the U.S. Why? I mean from what I hear from fans, she does very well in other countries. Let's discuss this phenomona with the U.S. We can even through in Mary Wilson to counter balance things LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    There isn't a day goes passed that he doesn't talk about Diane Ross but he doesn't care. Right. LOL
    Being in this thread shows "interest"! LOL

Oh come on Clucketta oh, I'm sorry, I meant "Roberta", free man....... You know I love Diane like I love caramel vanilla ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Seriously though. Can you explain why she has had so many many releases in in the last 30 years and most of them have tanked in the U.S. Why? I mean from what I hear from fans, she does very well in other countries. Let's discuss this phenomona with the U.S. We can even through in Mary Wilson to counter balance things LOL!!!
    Why are you wanting me to explain something you "could care less" about?

I remember the hits from Upside Down forward on Detroit Top 40 radio and some of the flops radio tried to play and the songs exiled to success only on the R&B chart for the few years 87-91 after that. I also remember the Red Hot TV Special, the promo blitz with Barbara Walters for Workin' Overtime, the American Music Awards hosting gigs, appearances at the Oscars and Grammys, and the appearance as mentor on American Idol. She may not have had huge success with those album eras but she still got plenty of exposure for someone that has been forgotten......
    You just brought up a good point. What other artist American or not can make appearances on the following televised programs and still have their current release TANK:

The Super Bowl
    The Oprah Winfrey Show
    American Idol

Diana Ross appeared and performed her then lastest recordings on each of these highly viewed, very popular, nationally broadcast programs in the United States only to have her recordings completely bite it in terms of the charts and sales. How is that possible?

RossHolloway Guest
    I think someone is off their medication again. It's best to just ignore them..

Stick him on ignore simplysupreme.

RossHolloway Guest

You really should just ignore the trolls, they just feed off of the attention that you give them.

Stick him on ignore simplysupreme.
    He's funny to me. Love the transparency!

The thread title alone is enough to send some over the edge. Haven't you noticed that anytime there is positive news about Diana, or about a recent "success" of hers, that people have to "balance" it?

The thread title alone is enough to send some over the edge. Haven't you noticed that anytime there is positive news about Diana, or about a recent "success" of hers, that people have to "balance" it?
    LOL. So true skooldem. Especially those who have an obsession with "Diane" as the call her.

Roberta

Precisely.

I just find it all interesting that there can 20 different threads about her on here and yet no one ever discusses the obvious!

You help to make my point. With all that exposure, why didn't any of her recordings from the last Quarter Century plus hit the Top 100 in the U.S.?

According to this discography, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography , Miss Ross has had 41 single releases since 1986 with only one, "Take Me Higher" charting in the U.S. , reaching #114 in 1995. Why?

Quite easy to answer Marv, American Top 40 Pop Radio refuses to play artists over 40 consistently. The Brits have valued talent over youth which is why she remains higher profile chartwise there. She turned 40 in 1984 and aged out of the format. It happens to virtually all artists because of the prized 18-34 listener demo supposedly won't listen to the same artists their parents did. It's also why Madonna, Mariah, Cher, etc. have struggled struggled post 40.

I beg to differ. You will not find any threads that I started with Diana Ross as the subject [[ you may start your research....NOW! LOL!). In fact, it was you who started this one and others with Miss Ross as the subject matter ,which is fine with me. I am just going to enjoy discussing her just like everyone else.

Quite easy to answer Marv, American Top 40 Pop Radio refuses to play artists over 40 consistently. The Brits have valued talent over youth which is why she remains higher profile chartwise there. She turned 40 in 1984 and aged out of the format. It happens to virtually all artists because of the prized 18-34 listener demo supposedly won't listen to the same artists their parents did. It's also why Madonna, Mariah, Cher, etc. have struggled struggled post 40.
    Ok, I can buy that and I do apreciate your response. Are there any other theories regarding this subject?

I am sure we can point to some exceptions such as James Brown scoring big with his 1986 hit, "Living In America" at age 52 or 53.

Note I said consistently.... James Brown disappeared from the pop chart after that hit and it needed a Rocky Soundtrack appearance to get noticed....

Note I said consistently.... James Brown disappeared from the pop chart after that hit and it needed a Rocky Soundtrack appearance to get noticed....
    This is where we diverge. I wasn't asking why hasn't Diana Ross consistently hit the pop chart in the last 27 years. I was asking why did so many of her releases during that time frame miss the charts completely? Not one made the Top 100 singles chart in the U.S.

I thought that a few her releases post-1984's "Missing You" were good songs and wondered why they didn't chart. I was a huge fan since 1964 but slowly lost interest as I felt that the albums weren't cohesive although the single releases were good. The last Ross album that, in my opinion, was excellent all the way through was the Take Me Higher collection of songs. I was really disappointed that it didn't become a huge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I thought that a few her releases post-1984's "Missing You" were good songs and wondered why they didn't chart. I was a huge fan since 1964 but slowly lost interest as I felt that the albums weren't cohesive although the single releases were good. The last Ross album that, in my opinion, was excellent all the way through was the Take Me Higher collection of songs. I was really disappointed that it didn't become a huge hit.
    Thank you Motownlover1964 for your response. I liked the song "Missing You" and I recall another song from around that time, "Telephone" that received pretty good airplay in Detroit on WJLB, a popular local Urban Contemporary station. Then, I heard that the song was being promoted only to R&B and Urban Contemporary stations. Could that also be the reason for lack of Pop Chart success?

There are many theories regarding Diana's lack of chart success post-1986. Yes, Telephone, Dirty Looks and other late-RCA releases were promoted to R&B stations, limiting their exposure. IMO the Working Overtime project hurt her credibility. Add to this Call Her Miss Ross and Dreamgirl, plus her age, plus changing musical styles, plus Diana's marriage and the birth of her sons in 1987 and 1988. You have to agree that a lot happened to cause Diana's musical career to lose momentum.

BTW, Diana has released 13 US singles since 1986, not 41.

Adding a timeline to my previous post, Diana married in 1985, the book Dreamgirls was released in 1986, then came the pregnancies. Working Overtime was released in 1989, followed by the Call Her Miss Ross book later that year. Another book followed in 1990, All That Glittered. Diana's image and appeal took a huge beating. I'm sure this didn't help her sales.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    There are many theories regarding Diana's lack of chart success post-1986. Yes, Telephone, Dirty Looks and other late-RCA releases were promoted to R&B stations, limiting their exposure. IMO the Working Overtime project hurt her credibility. Add to this Call Her Miss Ross and Dreamgirl, plus her age, plus changing musical styles, plus Diana's marriage and the birth of her sons in 1987 and 1988. You have to agree that a lot happened to cause Diana's musical career to lose momentum.

BTW, Diana has released 13 US singles since 1986, not 41.

Johnny B. Thank you very much for your response as well. You make some very good points. I have a question. I arrived at the 41 as the total number of releases by just counting down the list on her discography. You say it was 13 that were released as U.S. singles. Does that mean that the other 28 releases were all foreign and if so, why? If you know the answer I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Adding a timeline to my previous post, Diana married in 1985, the book Dreamgirls was released in 1986, then came the pregnancies. Working Overtime was released in 1989, followed by the Call Her Miss Ross book later that year. Another book followed in 1990, All That Glittered. Diana's image and appeal took a huge beating. I'm sure this didn't help her sales.
    But she was on Oprah Winfrey and Oprah championed her as her role model. Surely that helped, didn't it?