[REMOVE ADS]

Goin' To The Dogs

Let's talk about dogs -- especially our own. It does not have to
    tie in with music, but it can. There are lots of songs that mention
    dogs.

We would like to know if there is a dog [canine] in your life. Does
    it like music? Does it watch TV? Does it sleep with you? Any pictures?

Here is a video of cousin Leo [havanese], Angelina [havanese] and Luigi [maltese/mix].
    Angel and Luigi are our two rescues.

Music: The Raiders March by John Williams [1981]
    Last edited by 9A; 11-28-2023 at 01:50 PM.

I love that video of the dogs, put together be Nina´s son Jonathan. Great job, dude. Thank you.

What! Nobody has a dog here?

No dogs in my household but here is a tip for you guys. Visit the website calendars.com and order the calendar entitled 365 puppies. It is the cutest thing in the world year after year. It is usually about a $15.00 calendar but is probably on sale now.

Problem there, Dave, it may cause me to pick up another pup.

I have one... His name is Dutch and he's a 14 yr old Golden retriever..
    Likes it when I turn on my YouTube playlist and will lay down and listen to my tunes... seems to make him relax and forget about the hot spots that plague him occasionally..

And yes, I spoil him... can't help it....

Name:  IMG_20230208_132746434.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  92.7 KB
    Last edited by GrtGzu; 04-11-2024 at 11:39 AM.

Great looking pup. Thanks for posting.

Dutch is a very happy dog. Golden's are prized by many who
    have them as being very smart and great companions. I've
    always favored toy size dogs, but, if I ever had a larger dog,
    I would want a Golden Retriever.

Glad he shares your taste in music.

Nina

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  21.1 KB
    I have a golden retriever part time [[about 15-18 weeks per year). He's my sister's dog. I get him when my sister and brother-in-law travel. His name is Theo. Golden retrievers are my favourite dog by far. They are the most mellow and friendly dogs I've ever come across. We had another one just before this one, who managed to live to age 14 [[through a few surgeries). He was a true family member, and I'm still missing him every day. No photos. I've been around since 1946, but never owned a camera, and I don't use a smartphone. I'll try to remember to get a photo of Theo. He likes mellow-style music, but not irritating music like "heavy metal", noisy screaming with a lot of reverb. But I don't consider that "music" anyway. He doesn't sing like several dogs we've had. But I'm sure he would if we taught him to do that. I can't keep a dog all year because I live in five different countries on 2 different continents, and 2 of those places are too small with no place for a dog. And it would be quite unsettling for a dog to have 5 different homes every year. Over my long life, we've had a medium-sized poodle, a huskie, 2 malamuts, 2 german shepherds and 2 golden retrievers.

Yes, they become family members and are toddlers forever. I have only had very small toy dogs. I rehomed several retired champion papillons for my breeder over more than 30 years. They were very docile and sweet. Ralph called them "froo froo" dogs.

One of ours, havanese Angel, responds to dogs on TV. There seem to be more and more commercials with dogs. She will rush up to the TV and bark at them. I haven't noticed a music preference.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    Yes, they become family members and are toddlers forever. I have only had very small toy dogs. I rehomed several retired champion papillons for my breeder over more than 30 years. They were very docile and sweet. Ralph called them "froo froo" dogs.

One of ours, havanese Angel, responds to dogs on TV. There seem to be more and more commercials with dogs. She will rush up to the TV and bark at them. I haven't noticed a music preference.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  21.1 KB
    Papillons!!! Butterfly dogs??? Were they named that because they have gigantic ears that flop downward all the way to the ground??? Our poodle [[in the '50s and 60s), used to bark back at dogs on TV. He liked to show off his singing, to Humans. He loved attention. He was neurotic. The other dogs in the neighbourhood even the much bigger ones, ran away from him, because they thought he was crazy. He growled at them for no reason. But he was a coward, who wouldn't hurt a flea. But he caught a blackbird and killed it and was starting to eat it when we saw what he was doing. The bird must have been sick or lame, or he couldn't have caught. But I've read that poodles were bred to be hunting dogs.

I used to love to run our huskie and malamuts on the snow-covered fields in winter. They loved that more than anything. And we had 4 & 1/2 to 5 months of snow on the ground in Manitoba. Those thick-haired arctic dogs suffered a lot in the sweltering humid summer heat, back before people had air conditioning. Back during the '40s and '50s the only buildings that were air conditioned were movie houses. And we couldn't take dogs in there. The poodle slept on my bed when he was young. He woke up with the sun, and would scratch at my door to let him out to urinate. I hated having to get up at dawn before 6:00. He brought fleas into my bed. It was terrible. I'll never forget the itchiness that never stopped till we got rid of them.