[REMOVE ADS]

The Book: The Help

Have any of you read The Help?

My wife read it and said it was really good; I'm not far into it, but it is a blast.

This is the movie that many of her fans said Diana Ross should have been in but I've not seen a character she would easily play and she have to gain a lot of weight I guess. Anyways, she said she is not interested in that anymore.

Anybody see the movie?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Have any of you read The Help?

My wife read it and said it was really good; I'm not far into it, but it is a blast.

This is the movie that many of her fans said Diana Ross should have been in but I've not seen a character she would easily play and she have to gain a lot of weight I guess. Anyways, she said she is not interested in that anymore.

Anybody see the movie?
    There was a thread about the movie a few months ago. I know the movie did well at the box office, but also got some critical backlash for being another Hollywood movie about African Americans that puts a white person as the hero.

I guess then that Skeeter must be the hero. Or maybe it's the woman Minnie works for.........makes more sense. Abileen and Minnie seem like heroes to me from what I've ready.

I wonder who Cicely Tyson played.

Laurel Guest
    Earlier in the year my book reading group read the book. We thought it was a very moving story and we learned a lot.