[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Anyone watching Oprah's new cable channel

This critic takes the channel to task. Quote below sums it up.

And so says the woman who puts her name on everything, whose annual listing of “Oprah’s Favorite Things” was a miniature industry unto itself, who plucks classics from the annals of literature and recontextualizes them as “Oprah’s Picks,” who urges letting go of all possessions that might define you while framed by the logo for her very own television network—the initials of which even scream the word “OWN” in capital letters. That Winfrey never thinks to acknowledge this deep irony—or show the slightest hint of self-awareness about being, really now, one of the most egotistical people on the planet—continues to be her greatest handicap. In her mind, Winfrey is but a humble servant of her message. That her message boils down to “listen to me” never seems to occur to her.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/own-oprah-winfrey-network,63933/

I have tried to watch OWN but it is so boring. ReRuns of Dr Phil, MasterClass, reruns of her shows leading up to the end, its just misguided. I think the only thing I like on there are the Lisa Ling documentaries and Rosie's Show. Other than that I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and watch but its a snoozesfest especially Gayles show. Gayle is a nice person but I would rather watch Charles Osgood.

I read that the ratings for the Network have not been good.

Smark's analysis of Oprah's shortcomings after all these years makes sense.

I only watch OWN every now and then. There's nothing on it that interests me. I could sense the network was in trouble when it began re-airing episodes of the Oprah show. However, I do like Welcome to Sweetie Pie's which begins its second season on OWN in March. It's a show about Robbie Montgomery's restaurant and family in St. Louis. Oprah should face it, the most popular shows on cable are reality shows about outrageous and b--chy housewives, mob wives, hip hop wives and basketball wives.

Yawn........

I watched The O'Neal's show [[Ryan & Tatum), but find all of the shows about Oprah and her people incredibly boring and uninteresting. I didn't care about Oprah before anyway.