[REMOVE ADS]

Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me...............Damn

Sorry for the swear words bot
    Last edited by ralpht; 10-24-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: I had to delete the bad language, which didn't leave much left of this post. Please refrain from bad language in the future.

Obviously we must be talking about the GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS classic ..

Here it is on you-tube ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkIrn-KHUQ

And I have to stand up for the Brits here .. it was actually A BIG HIT back in 1967 Britain .. got to #13 and spent 15 weeks on the charts .. love the song too

Roger

Tell it like it is...Brits LOVED it, How come the U.S. missed on this one? No Promotion? Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    sorry for the swear words bot god damn mother fucker.......this has got to be one of the best motown songs ever.....there us just no fucking way that any other motown can compare to this......this is "the" the "almighty" my "favorite" motown, song period of all time.....i have gone through all my music and i keep going back to that......gotta be my fave......damn guys...........mmmm
    wow i haven't heard this many cuss words since the time i slipped some hooch into my son's baby formula...[little sucker slept for a week,hehe]but the wife wasn't pleased!!

aarondillon2011@gmail.com ,::::::::::::: Where are YOU FROM????????? Cause you are talkin my language. I know just where you are coming from and understand how that track hits you. The song itself is very well put together ,the words and meaning are deeply emotional. On top of that however is Glady's performance on the vocal. In our language it simply is said that ,Ms Knight tore that shii up. Such to an extent that you feel her in your chest when you really get into the recording itself. But that's how Glady's do ,and what she do sometimes is just too intense for nice words to describe that feeling you get from a clssic recording like this. The strings and use of the lower register horns in the arrangement for the horn parts ,the hopsichord at orchestration show that this was not a track intended to be filler. Here in the U.S it was a "B" side. I have to look up what the "A" side was. That's how I got to love it.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 10-23-2011 at 06:13 AM.

"Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" was indeed the an A-Side here in America as well. In March
    of '67, it was released as SOUL 35033. The B-Side was "Do You Love Me Just A Little, Honey". The song
    made it only to #98 on Billboard.

I love this thread...you all crack me up!

I know how Aaron feels about his song! I feel like that about my song....."Baby I Need Your Loving" by the Four Tops. I heard it today after not listening to it for a good while.

I like Gladys' version pretty well... but the backing track don't do much for me. I much prefer this version:

Great group, those Flirtations! It's a shame that they didn't make it bigger in the U.S.
    "Nothing But A Heartache" is a true classic.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I like Gladys' version pretty well... but the backing track don't do much for me. I much prefer this version:
    Sacrelige!!

Nice version Jillfoster, but I still prefer Gladys's .. I wondering what church [[or Cathedral) they shot that at .. its obviously somewhere in England but I don't recognise it .. I don't think it's anywhere in London .. anybody any ideas?

Roger

My theory is that "Take Me In Your Arms and Love Me" didn't go over in the U.S. because it was too far ahead of its time -- the story arc of the song was the beginning-to-end chronicle of a woman's sexual arousal, and that Gladys sang it in an mature, adult manner. Perhaps Motown was too intimidated by the song's subject matter and subliminal eroticism to give it a major push.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Sacrelige!!

Nice version Jillfoster, but I still prefer Gladys's .. I wondering what church [[or Cathedral) they shot that at .. its obviously somewhere in England but I don't recognise it .. I don't think it's anywhere in London .. anybody any ideas?

Roger

thats bath abbey,somerset,england

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    thats bath abbey,somerset,england
    Hey .. thanks.

I've been to Bath so no doubt I've walked around it!!

Roger

i lived in weston-super-mud and bath was always a great place to go to and spend money,really good 2nd hand record shops!!

That is a great song and one of my faves. I am looking for original recordings of Gladys & the Pips prior to coming to Motown. Can anyone recommend such a cd?

Thanks,
    Ryon6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    That is a great song and one of my faves. I am looking for original recordings of Gladys & the Pips prior to coming to Motown. Can anyone recommend such a cd?

Thanks,
    Ryon6
    Well I always love me some Gladys Knight and the Pips. How about this CD:
    http://www.amazon.com/Letter-Full-Te...9506680&sr=1-4
    That one's got their stuff from the Fury label. I LOVE "Letter Full Of Tears". Also on their is
    their Top 10 hit "Every Beat Of My Heart" from 1961. The Only place I can find "Giving Up" is
    on this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Coll...9506828&sr=1-1
    That includes a whole overview of them, through the 80's. Not too easy to come by some of
    their early stuff, but hope this gives you a place to start

The best pre- Motown cd is called LETTER FULL OF TEARS: THE EARLY YEARS. It was released in 2008 by the Acrobat Music Group. It contains all of their pre-Motown material, with the exception of their first single on Brunswick.

http://www.amazon.com/Gladys-Knight-...9507673&sr=1-3

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Sorry for the swear words bot god damn mother fucker.......This has got to be one of the best Motown songs ever.....There us just no fucking way that any other motown can compare to this......This is "THE" the "Almighty" my "Favorite" Motown, song period of all time.....I have gone through all my music and I keep going back to that......Gotta be my fave......Damn guys...........Mmmm
    I appreciate and applaud your enthusiasm for this song but must add that I really can't condone your appalling language.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I appreciate and applaud your enthusiasm for this song but must add that I really can't condone your appalling language.
    If all it takes is to change your screen name and made-up persona to chastise others, then maybe Rick Perry needs to look into that as well...........

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    If all it takes is to change your screen name and made-up persona to chastise others, then maybe Rick Perry needs to look into that as well...........
    I don't understand what this means.

That got played in Philly but it wasn't a huge hit.

Thank you very much for the information regarding the pre-Motown years.

Ryon6

"Take Me In Your Arms.....Me" was as you know their 2nd release on Motown & didn't really have any promotion.I loved the record.....at first, but it wasn't a record I would play over & over. I still enjoy hearing the first half of the record but then it kinda wears thin.It was a much better record then the first release Just Walk In My Shoes but not near as good as the 3rd Everybody Needs Love which I really think is a great song[[all versions, Mary Wells,Temptations, Velevelettes).IMHO

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jalowe1957 View Post
    My theory is that "Take Me In Your Arms and Love Me" didn't go over in the U.S. because it was too far ahead of its time -- the story arc of the song was the beginning-to-end chronicle of a woman's sexual arousal, and that Gladys sang it in an mature, adult manner. Perhaps Motown was too intimidated by the song's subject matter and subliminal eroticism to give it a major push.

BINGO!!!!!!!

First, I completely got the swear-words-filled praise for this track. i don't really cuss very much, but the first time I heard this song all I could say was DAMN! This song hit me hard, very hard. I loved the Funk Brothers' backing track on this- the way those drums were simple, but incredibly blunt and powerful. The strings, horns- everything about this song is spot-on.

Second, Jalowe1957, your comments were why I started this with BINGO!!! I was thinking how very adult the lyrics of this song are- when Gladys sings the line "This feeling is too strong to hold / any second now I'll explode..." I swear the temperature in whatever room I'm listening to this song increased by about 20 degrees. I think you're right about this being too far ahead of its time. Even now, considering how blatant song lyrics are today, this song still sounds incredibly feverish and far more adult than anything out there today.